1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

how evangelistic

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, May 2, 2008.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

How evangelistic are your church services, on a scale of one to ten?

How evangelistic are you on that same scale?

How do you and your church "do" evangelism?

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The gospel is preached virtually every Sunday. But not in an easy believism way but in depth doctrinal studies.

The only formal evangelism I know of is at the jail where my dad is the chaplian (he is hte pastor) he often takes other members of the church (especially a young man who wants to be a preacher himself one day)

Most others just share the gospel as they have the opportunity with friends, family an co workers.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am doing my radio program for tomorrow and just realized that perhaps the greatest evangelistic reach I have personally is with that.
    It is mostly gospel music but I also put a question of Spurgeons catechism in the program each week.

There are a lot of elderly people who listen to the program, many of whom probably come from liberal churches that may have never heard the true gospel.

Spurgeon's catechism will be good for them I think if they will pay attention.
    It will also give comfort to the elderly who are saved.

4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I keep hearing about "easy believism". What in the world is that?

Even the simplest presentation of the gospel requires putting one's faith in Someone you cannot see or touch to save you from a hell you have not experienced. We are much more prone to want to find SOME way to work or earn our way into Heaven.

So what is this "easy believism"? Do you mean people thinking because they join the church they are saved? Or because they cleaned up their act they are saved?

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Easy believism usually refers to a method of "Just add Jesus" salvation.
    One that does not really entail true belief.
    Actually, easy believism IS a works based salvation, it is just a really, well, easy version of works.

It is pray a prayer and you will go to heaven.

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for explanation! I've heard so many of so many different persuasions use the term and never knew what it meant.

Of course, just praying a prayer WILL get you into Heaven. (Think of the thief on the cross.) That is, if the prayer is one of genuine faith.

By that I mean I don't believe we will be kept out for being calvinists, dispensationalists, armenians, or whatever. Nor for not being perfect. (I guess if we believe in Christian perfection we don't belong on a Baptist board, huh? :))

Born again is the key, isn't it? Born again people can mess up their witness and even get so bad they get taken home early according to the scripture. But the one thing they cannot do is lose their salvation.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Easy believism refers to a belief that you can say you are saved claim the name of Christ ( by prayer or otherwise) with no intent to live like a child of God.

8. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay so you dont go for the say a prayer invite Jesus into your heart and watch the work He does in your life, the doors he opens, the doors He closes the changes He makes. How then do you think people should be saved?:tonofbricks:

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree, but I think the key is revmitchell's post,
    true salvation produces the desire to live as God intends us too.
    I think thats the difference in easy believeism.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

True conversion is a life changer.
    It changes you. that is why it is called "conversion"
    Easy believism just ADDs religion. It does not change.

It is an easy works form of salvation. It is the free handout fire insurance version of the gospel.

11. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

I will admit when I accepted Christ I didnt then and still havent changed alot in my life. Maybe there wasnt alot to change I dont know. But I know I am saved so call it what you want not everyone changes when they accept Christ. My friends can honestly tell me that about the only thing that has changed is I have actually become a more bubbly person. :love2:

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

We live sinful lifestyles before we're saved, doing what sinners do. After we're saved theres a lot to be changed. If a person does not change when they 'accept' Christ, they aren't christians, the bible says anyone in Christ is made new.
    2 Cor. 5:17
    17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

We need to stop watering down the gospel.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Typical legalistic "gospels" make you work to earn your salvation and are usually difficult to some degree.
    In easy believism there is no works required at all.

In the true Gospel, we are His workmanship created unto good works.
    Good works by His grace alone.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

'His workmanship' meaning He is working on us, changing us, making us different. If we're saved and not changed God isn't doing His job.
    Easy believeism requires no changes, and produce no changes.

15. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

HMM--ya'll have me really confused now.

When I got saved, I did confess every sin I could think of and admit they only earned me hell. I did ask Jesus to forgive me, save me, and keep me from hell. I was seeking fire insurance, and that only!

And boy howdy I KNEW THAT I KNEW THAT I WAS SAVED.

Nobody told me I had to clean up my act, or intend to clean up my act, to get saved.

Nobody told me I had to take up my cross, or take up religion, or any of that.

AND HE STILL SAVED ME!

Now, since then, He has worked in me to change me. Do I still sin? YOU BET I DO, AND I HATE THAT FACT. I look forward to Heaven where I won't!!!

I think, also, that I have certainly sinned less because of my love for Christ, and done good things I would not have done had I not been saved.

So I guess I thank God for the "easy believism" that was preached to me. I thank God the gospel was not presented as "do this and earn your salvation" or "yeah, I'll save you, but it is gonna be rough on you." I am sure I would have walked away from that.

And yet He accepted my pitiful cry for mercy, and mercy only.