1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How evolution is driving the clergy to atheism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Apr 24, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Using your word....pitiful.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Crabbie you are grasping at straws>

Since your above premise is irrational a rational answer would simply note that fact!

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Then quite simply, you do not know Jesus.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about you?

You have said you believe in the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection because you chose to do so, but are you as convinced of them as you are in Darwinism?

Why not simply choose to believe the words of Genesis? There is no real dispute about their denotations and connotations. I submit that you did not choose to believe in Darwinism. You are convinced of it. You can believe no other, and that is why you cannot believe in Genesis. Not really.

More than that, there are yet no consequences of confessing the Resurrection of Christ, but cast doubt on Darwinism and look out.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus took the Pharisees back to the beginning, to when God created Adam and Eve and had commanded one man for one woman...

Paul went back to Genesis, and held to a literal meaning, historical Adam, real Fall, as Jesus was now second Adam!

6. quantumfaith

I have told you many times, I see no need to tell you anymore. You are welcome to criticize, take jabs, poke fun....etc. Knock yourself out.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really, but just pretend to humor me.

Do you believe in Darwinism because you chose to?

8. quantumfaith

First of all, understand your terms. I am not a Darwinist, it is evolution that I do not have a problem with. Darwin's point was the driver of evolution being natural selection (naturalism). I being a theist do not accept natural selection (naturalism) as being the sole or primary driver of evolutionary biology.

Yes, I choose to take any position.

9. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

I disagree with Dawkin's premise.

I think (to a certain extent at least) we very much CAN choose what we will believe.

The Scriptures speak of willfull ignorance (actually specifically regarding the conditions of the initial creation).
    2Pe 3:5
    For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

There are Noetic effects to sin
    The Scriptures regularly speak of the will as being active in "belief".

Romans speaks of men's minds becoming corrupted and losing the knowledge of truth.
    Rom 1:21
    Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Rom 1:22
    Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    We may not be able to "will" away something about which we are already certain and choose to believe something preposterous in it's stead...
    i.e. we may not be able if already convinced that the moon is a rocky satellite which orbits the Earth due to gravity then simply "Choose" to believe that it is merely illussory or that it is a giant poached egg....

But if we are not yet already committed to a certain position on something especially, we can find ways to choose how our beliefs will become shaped.

#29 Inspector Javert, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just semantics.

I believe you think you do, but I think intellectual honesty would compel you to admit that you don't accept the Genesis day as it was universally accepted up to the 19th century—not because of choice, but because you trust your science teachers more than the critical analyst of the text.

You believe in Evolution not because of choice, but because you are convinced it is true. You could no longer disbelieve in Evolution than you can disbelieve you were born of a woman.

So, what has convinced you of the Resurrection?