1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How has the Civil War affected the Baptists?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Walls, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

In most of my research it appears that prior to the Civil War not much was tolerated. Why is that?

During that time, the Methodists had many circuit riders out and about. What part did the Baptists have in attempting to maintain separation and holy living afterward? Where were the Baptist or did we just adapt to other religions and become as the world?

2. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Walls Noted:
    {QUOTE] In most of my research it appears that prior to the Civil War not much was tolerated. Why is that?

During that time, the Methodists had many circuit riders out and about. What part did the Baptists have in attempting to maintain separation and holy living afterward? Where were the Baptist or did we just adapt to other religions and become as the world? [/QUOTE]

I am not completely sure I understand your question. Are you talking about the various schisms of Baptists that occuring in the mid-19th century? or are you asking about Baptist morality in the subsequent years? Or both?

If you;d care to clarify, I'll give a stab at answer if I feel I am qualified to do so. I did my M.A. Thesis on political divisions among Baptists in Appalachia during the Civil War/Reconstruction era, so I have studied parts of the question in detail -- that being the period from 1832-1877. Subsequent events are not something, however, I am completely competent to answer on all levels.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In early America, Baptists fellowshiped in small, local groups. They gathered en masse to support missions. The Triennial Convention was used to endorse missionaries, raise support and interest in missions, etc.

By 1840 the issues that were dividing the nation were also creating problems on mission fields. Think with me -- how could abolitionist Baptists in Philadelphia support slave-owning missionaries from Mobile?

By 1845 the churches were dividing down lines on soul liberty of missionaries (to have slaves or not) v limits/rules on missionaries. Others can pick up the history from here. But we fought a war.

BTW, two thoughts that seem incongruous:
    (1) Churches in south rallied around a STRONG central authority in the SBC, while as a nation they rejected such STRONG central authority and became a confederacy instead

(2) Churches in the south wanted FREEDOM for missionaries to "do their own thing" concerning slaves. Now the BFM details out acceptable belief and has forced missionaries to comply.

Is this not 180 degree change in 150 years?

4. Walls

Walls New Member

To answer Bro. Jeff, I would have to say that the war fought was against slavery/bondage, and it appears God's people won their freedom from living righteously. Slowly over the years, we have tolerated immorality, recognize other gods in all that we do.

So my question is what happened, where were the Baptists? weren't they cryin' aloud as in Isa 58:1, or did God just give His people what they wanted?

Dr. Bob, a lot of insight. Interesting how ironic history is. Do you think we will ever learn?

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I doubt it. History repeats itself. Over and over and over and over and over, ad infinitum.