1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How I differ from the ones who raised me

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Dec 19, 2005.

?
  1. I am a virtual reflection of my parents as far as values, interests, and manner of living

33.3%
  2. My values, interests, and manner of living is much like my parents

11.8%
  3. My values, interests, and manner of living is somewhat like my parents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. My values, interests, and manner of living is not much like that of my parents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. My values, interests, and manner of living has almost no resemblence to that of my parents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am more liberal than my parents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am more conservative than my parents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. My parents were unalike in these ways, and I am much more like one than the other(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. My parents were unalike in these ways, and I am somewhat like a combination of their values

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. My parents were unalike in these ways, but I am not much like either one (any)

21.6%
  11. I am different from my parents because they were not Christian

11.8%
  12. I am different from my parents because they were wishy-washy about important things for which I have

7.8%
  13. I am different from my parents because they were strict and rigid about things which are not really

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. At least one of my parents was a bigot, so I must firmly oppose that value

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. At least one of my parents had radical views I feel I must firmly oppose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. I have joined a different denomination/type/style of church than my parents, so to keep peace we av

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I have joined a different denomination/type/style of church than my parents, but there is no 'rift'

3.9%
  18. I am better educated than my parents, and this contributes to the difference in values between us

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. In spite of being better educated than my parents, I do mostly reflect their values

3.9%
  20. I went away from my parents' core values when I was a teenager or young adult, but I have 'returned'

2.0%
  21. My parents are (were) disappointed in many life decisions I made

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. My parents show(ed) approval of most life decisions I made

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. I differ(ed) substantially from my parents in one particular subject [e.g., church, divorce, race re

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. My parents have said they actually regret some 'values' they tried to teach me, having realized they

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. My parents <i>tacitly</i> rescinded some the values they tried to teach, but never made any apology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. I <i>wish</i> I had listened more to my parents when I was younger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. I'm glad I didn't listen to many things my parents tried to teach me

3.9%
  28. Only a more detailed explanation can desribe my values in relation to those of my parents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As people, including Christians, often do have different values, different traditions, and certainly different hobbies and interests, than their parents or whoever raised them, how do we on this board differ in these ways from our parents or whoever brought us up? In the poll, the word "parents" will be used, but it should be understood that this includes other relatives or important people who had a parent-like role in our upbringing.

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Very interesting poll Alcott! I am eager to see the results after more people have taken it.

I myself am pretty much a copy of my parents in every way! I tend to be a little more conservative in some areas but that's the only difference. Values, traditions and interests are all the same. I am thankful to God to have had such wonderful parents growing up. I only had both parents till I was seven and so after daddy passed away mama took over both roles. Mama and daddy were so much alike that it was like both of them were still raising me. [​IMG]

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

My parents will call themselves conservative in their views, but they tend to not stand firm in real life when it comes to applying those viewpoints in their daily walk.

This is partly why I said Im more conservative than they are. While they have usually always been in Baptist churches, and call themselves Baptist still, they don't have a problem attending churches of other denominations. I differ with them on this, and they most likely see my church as being pretty radical.

On many standards issues Im far more conservative than my parents have ever been. None of this has caused a rift between us, though, and for that I am very grateful! [​IMG]

I also am thankful for the fact that they kept all of us kids in Christian schools, and pretty good churches as we were growing up.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I had great parents until I was a teenager and then they became horribly unreasonable people but thankfully as I entered my twenties they became much more intelligent. I sure am glad that they straightened up.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

One big way I differ from my upbringing is that I was raised Catholic and am now a Baptist!

My parents made sure I went to mass every day, attending a Catholic grade school - I had to anyway, but they only went on Christmas and Easter.

I have kept some of the holiday traditions, but have started several of my own also.

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That was interesting. I'm different in some ways and alike in others. [​IMG]

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I am like my parents in many ways, some ways that I even hate! But I am who I am.

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

That was pretty interesting. I'm one of those who came from a non-Christian home and now i'm serving as a pastor...so things in my home are a lot different than what it was for me growing up in a different denomination.
    On top of that i am the first and only college grad in my immediate family...once again, making things for me quite a bit different.

I'm curious to see how this turns out.

bdd

10. standingfirminChrist

My mother raised me, as my dad died on Christmas day, 1960.

Many of the godly values mother instilled in me as a child, I still carry and adhere to today.

11. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I am a Christian and my parents are not. That explains much of our differences although I think they raised me with good values and morals.