1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How important is knowledge in getting saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jan 23, 2007.

1. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Agnus,

bmerr here. That's a good point. We also need to realize that the kingdom of which Jesus spoke in John 3 had also not yet come into existence. This was the kingdom which the Jews had been waiting for, though they didn't understand the nature of it.

Peter had been told that he would be given the keys (plural) to the kingdom (Matt 16:19), and when asked what to do by his audience in Acts 2, we all know what he told them. He commanded repentance and baptism, which we see later on to be a baptism in water (Acts 8:38-39; 10:47-48). Born of Spirit by the word, born of water in baptism.

You made a good point. Keep asking those investigative questions.

In Christ,

bmerr

2. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Darron,

bmerr here. That's my point. Unless I mistook you position, you equated "born of water" with physical birth. There is no need to even speak of the need to be born physically with one who has been.

Jesus said that being born of water and of the Spirit was the condition for entrance into the kingdom. "Born of water and of the Spirit" is simply a restatement of "born again". Logic does not allow for "born of water and of the Spirit" to be speaking of two different births.

It would be like me posting a response to one of your posts, and telling you, "Well, Darron, in order for me to reply to your post, you're going to have to submit a post." Had you not already submitted one, I could not be responding to it. Had Nicodemus not already been born physically, Jesus could not have been speaking to him in the first place.

The argument that "born of water" is a reference to physical birth mocks at reason, and quite frankly, I'm suprised to see you using it. Others, maybe don't suprise me so much, but you? I've come to expect a lot better from you, Darron. "Come let us reason together..." (Is 1:18).

In Christ,

bmerr

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Well said! I wont be able to forget you statement.

But as to what "water" means:
    Jesus said He is the water of Life. So one must be born again into the New Man, Jesus Christ --- through the operation of the Holy Spirit. It is the new birth; to be born again; regeneration = justification and salvation.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    bmerr:

"born of water in baptism . . ." = 'baprismal regeneration' = Roman catholicism = error, heresy.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just to make sure:

bmerr:

"born of water in baptism . . ."

CG:

= 'baptismal regeneration' = Roman catholicism = error, heresy.