1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How in depth should an ordination....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by ktn4eg, Dec 8, 2013.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

....council question a prospective pastor's views on "minor" issues be? (EX:[1] Interpretation of some of the symbolism(s) of prophecy in Daniel and Revelation; [2] How OT circumcision relates to baptism; etc.)

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each tradition is unique. I had to submit a fairly detailed doctrinal statement before the actual questioning of the council. Had there been issues they would have been brought up long before the actual council.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

There should be no surprises during the questioning of the candidate. His views should have already been thoroughly vetted by the ordaining church before he ever got this far in the process.

The questioning should include some basics, however. For one, I want to hear him relate his conversion experience. Frankly, I've heard some testimonies that left me wondering.

For those being called to preach, I want to hear about that call.

Then, a few questions about basic Bible doctrine. including how one comes into a right relationship with God; the mode and design of baptism, the nature of scripture.

BTW, the correct answer is that the scripture is inerrant. Any other answer should raise a warning flag.

Mainly, you're looking to make sure that the candidate's views are Biblical; and that they are compatible with the ordaining Baptist church.

And some latitude is warranted when dealing with other matters, since there are honest differences, even with a congregation, about eschatology, for instance.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.................................