1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Long Do Baptist Pastors Stay?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Baptist4life, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering how long your pastor, or the average pastor, stays at the same church? I belong to a GARBC church and our pastor has been there over 20 years. We love him so that's not a problem, but is it unusual?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We go for longevity at our church. LOL

Senior Pastor: 46 years
    Senior Associate Pastor: 31 years
    Campus Pastor: 21 years
    Administrative Pastor: 22 years
    Children's Pastor: 21 years
    Senior Youth Pastor: 16 years
    Campus Pastor (my husband): 12 years
    Recovery Ministry Pastor: 12 years
    Outreach Pastor: 6 years
    Youth Pastor: 5 years

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read somewhere that the national average is about 18 months for pastors to stay. That probably includes other denominations besides Baptist, though.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

LifeWay Research has a study showing the average pastor overall stays in one church 3.6 years. Baptist pastors tend to stay much longer. The SBC pastor averages 8.9 years, while the General Baptist pastor averages 11.2 years.

Most denominations reassign their pastors on the average of every three years. Some megachurch pastors can have a say in whether they are reassigned or not. Adam Hamilton at Church of the Resurrection here in Overland Park has been in that UMC pulpit for 22 years, being the founding pastor there.

The best answer, though, is "Until the church gets tired of him or he gets tired of the church." :laugh:

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last church I was at, there are about 25 or 30 pastors' pictures on a wall, covering the last 100 years or so. That would make an average of 3-4 years for that congregation. The current pastor there is in his 5th or 6th year. The one prior to him was there about 18 months, and died on the operating table (at about 40 years old) having a somewhat routine procedure

At our current church, the founding pastor began the church in the late 70s, and retired after about 25 years. The current pastor has been there for about 12 years and will probably be there another 15-20. He's in his late 50s now.

6. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally I enjoy having a ''longterm'' pastor. The people who attend my church are just like family, and I wouldn't like having to get to know a new pastor every few years. But that's me.

#6 Baptist4life, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014