1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How long will KJVO last?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dale-c, Dec 22, 2008.

?
  1. It will be mostly gone in 10 years

10.9%
  2. It will probably last another 25 years but not much longer

14.5%
  3. It will go on for another 50 years, lasting one more generation.

12.7%
  4. It will probably go on another 75 years before it dies out

7.3%
  5. Gail Riplinger books will still be selling in 2125

3.6%
  6. I think it is practically dead already.

7.3%
  7. It will end when there is a new inspired translation.

3.6%
  8. It will end when there is a proper TR translation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. It will never end be cause the KJV is the ONLY Bible

10.9%
  10. I don't know.

29.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This poll and thread is mainly for those who are NOT KJVO.

If you are, I can't stop you from joining in, and I have even included some poll answers for those who believe that way.

Here is the question, how long will the KJVO movement last?
    For the sake of clarity, I am not asking how long there will be some here or there, but rather how much longer there will be a significant influence of this belief.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I chose gone within 10 years.However,my better answer should have been "I don't know".

Bad doctrine has the tendency to stick around for a long time.KJVO'ism is attractive to a certain mindset.Some are sincere in thinking they alone are upholding The Faith by clinging to the KJV and despising all other versions.Some within the movement know the truth but continue in myth-making regardless.I have the conviction that the conscience of authentic Christians inside this group has to be troubling them.They know that the Word of God is precious and found among many translations in addition to the KJV.They know it's wrong to denounce the Word of God. They know it's sinful to castigate fellow Christians for preferring another translation.They know that sound-reasoning is not present in their gatherings.They know better on so many fronts.But like Roman Catholics -- they cling to the traditions of men.I believe in His time numbers of them will leave knowing the emptiness of KJVO'ism.They will seek out churches that have meaty messages instead of the thin gruel they have had to eat for so long.God be praised for His Hand in delivering any from KJVO'ism.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a force effecting the mainstream, it'll probably last another generation.

Though, there were issues that men split over in the early 1800s. The minority opinions (the Gillite view of election for ex.) are represented to day by many smaller groupings.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're drawing an analogy between KJVO'ism and the views of those who hold to John Gill's beliefs regarding election?!Do you find it hard to think of other groups who really are heterodox?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Starting the SDA cult, it gained slight acceptance in some radical Baptist circles in 1970. At that time (as an example) HAC would oust a student holding to such heresy.

Within 15 years, fearing the loss of followers, it as adopted by most ifbXX type churches (a very small minority of Baptists). Even the SDA cult rejected it.

This would make 2008 as the dying end of that first generation of onlies. They will impact mindless clones, passing on false teaching (as is typical) to the next generation. THEN brains begin to function and questions arise. The minority (now about 1 million and decreasing) gets smaller.

So I pick 25 years. I cannot imagine such horrendously false belief and schismatic teaching continuing to plague America (it is virtually non-existant in non-English world) any longer.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is uncommon in the non-English world.But I have met with South Korean KJVO's and Filipino KJVO's as well.These folks are just as adamant as their KJVO North American confederates.Their contemporary English ability wasn't very good -- but they were indeed King James Only.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

From what I've been able to ascertain, it has been around, to some degree, all my life of 60+ years. I expect it will be around after I have departed from this old earthly world, unless that departure should occur in the rapture. Should I die, I will certainly leave it behind for some to still argue over on the Baptist Board. ;)

Ed

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I picked 75 before I crashed last night and had to crawl into bed. In reality, I don't think it will die.

When I read sites like this: http://www.av1611.org/nkjv.html , I'm pretty sure it won't. There will always be people to buy into this kind of stuff.

9. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot believe it has lasted this long.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How much longer will this thread last?

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So EdSutton hereby bequeaths his Bible Version/Translation Discussion post space to BB posterity.How kind!

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So EdSutton hereby bequeaths his Bible Version/Translation Discussion posts to BB posterity.How kind! And I'm sure the subject of KJVO will be in the capable hands of those who will succeed you.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think by 25 years it will be totally marginalized.
    After 50 or so years I think it will have lost any meaningful effect.
    People like Gail Riplinger will not be able to sell books etc.

Church History is a good indicator of things that will go on and things that will pass.

Soteriology has been an argument from day one.
    There will always be a discussion of how God's sovereignty relates to mans will and ability to make choices.

Agustine, Calvin, Spurgeon, those are just the high points spanning many centuries.

The KJV? Was only even around for one of those people (Spurgeon)

That said, the battle for the Bible will go on.
    The Bart Ehrmans of the world will continue to attack it.

The attack that will remain, and the attack that we must defend is the attack against the Bible itself, not a favorite translation.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I might add that one thing that will not go away are groups similar to the KJVO crowd.
    Who knows what, in 2108 will be the tradition that "fundamentalists" will fight for?

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

NIVO!

:laugh:

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Laughing at Mex :applause:

17. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know

18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I said another 75 years for a couple of reasons.

1. Baptists are growing up about this and I don't know anybody below the age of 35 who uses the KJV as their principal text, nevermind holds to KJVO...well maybe this guy----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDxcyqeRc-4

2. Baptists aren't the only KJVO. We are seeing an surprising upswing in the KJVO argument from some fundamentalist Pentecostals. As they are growing in number their leaders, who (frankly) aren't awfully well trained, are heading back for the most fundamenalist arguments around.

3. People will always gravitate towards extreme stances. That said in 75 years...maybe I'll be around...the global face of Christendom will have changed so much that it will be surprising if English is still the significant language it is today.

4. NIVO? You laugh...but...;)

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am wondering about those "youngsters" who attend "Hyles-Anderson" college types. Is the KJO theory still be taught (and indoctrinated) at those "version" of schools?

20. Japheth10

Japheth10 New Member

I'd say it's circling the drain now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.