1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How low will he go?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Nov 14, 2009.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/11/obama-emperor-akihito-japan.html

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow
    November 14, 2009 | 3:38 am

How low will the new American president go for the world's royalty?

This photo will get Democrat President Obama a lot of approving nods in Japan this weekend, especially among the older generation of Japanese who still pay attention to the royal family living in its downtown castle. Very low bows like this are a sign of great respect and deference to a superior.

(UPDATES: 12:22 p.m. A brief news video has been added below, showing the greeting in this photograph. Contrary to some claims, the video shows no reciprocal bow by the emperor, who traditionally bows to no one. And we've added a file photo from 2007 of Vice President Dick Cheney greeting the Japanese Emperor at the same residence in a different fashion.)

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    American government representatives have a long and honored history of not bowing in obiesence to foreign royalty.

This is the second time for the clown prince of America.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Simply not true...Reagan bowed to the Queen of England.

4. targus

targus New Member

A man bowing to a woman is different than a man bowing to a man.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is.

There may be a few exceptions, but it is still a long and honored history that is becoming commonplace for Obama.

BTW Is the Queen of England a lady? Just asking...

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So...it's different if the foreign leader is a lady? I thought someone else was saying that bowing is always a sign of subservience? Now the rules are changing? Reagan also was knighted by the same queen, though it happened just after his presidency. Isn't there some conflict of interest in having a former president be knighted by a foreign power?

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think? To a gentleman such as reagan, would it matter?

I'll repeat my last, just to help you stay on track:

There is no doubt of the truth of my statement. Perhaps royal subjects are just naturally resentful of American exceptionalism. At least, that appears to be your major problem. My suggestion is to get over it.

That's just the way it is and iIlike it that way. The vast majority of my countrymen agree with me when I say our President should bow in obeisence to no one.

8. targus

targus New Member

Only if you want to pretend not to understand the concept of context.

So to be honored by a foreign leader is a "conflict of interest"?

How so?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's just misdirection. Reagan was a private citizen at the time, not POTUS.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not Only a Bow, BUT, Check Out His Clothes?

He is wearing the "garb" of host nation. I guess JC Penny suit and ties are now out for this POTUS.:laugh: I think he's carrying "political correctness" a little toooooooo far!

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

He needs someone to kick him in the rear and remind him that Americans do not need to bow to anyone. My forefathers who fought in WWII and the Korean Conflict must be rolling in their graves, as well as any Gulf War vets who gave their lives.

12. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I'm confused by this, RD... what garb is he wearing?

I too am quite concerned by all of this bowing that the O is doing... it seems absolutely absurd to me and it's just showing weakness to other countries, which we cannot afford to do. Period. I would go so far as to bet that the POTUS has had a lot of advice on this issue from his cronnies and that he is doing this for a very specific reason. I would suspect it's because he's convinced we need to live in a global community than in our own country, but I'm just a citizen, taking a stab at his logic. I'd love to hear what the O's logic is behind it all.

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I wish Obama would show this much respect to the Constitution and to the rights of the honest American citizens as he seems to do the these foreign leaders!

If a person will honestly look at the things this president has done to our country in the illegal bailouts and give away programs, it is difficult to see how we will ever recover from this mess?

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watch the Film:(

He is dressed in the same outfits as the people with whom he is meeting with. He actually looks good in the "prison like garb" and he out to stick with it [the garb] as it looks good on him!:laugh:

Sadly, I too wish he'd pay as much attention to the people and nation that he is POTUS of. Right now, he is bowing down way too much, and way too far!

#14 righteousdude2, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

He bowed to Michael Jackson?

Okay seriously, yes, Reagan bowed to the Queen. GW Bush also bowed to Saudi King Abdullah when they met. Several past presidents have done this, and, contrary to popular belief, there is neither an existing POTUS protocol, nor is there an established POTUS tradition in place. As an American, I don't particularly like it, and believe the protocol of a POTUS should be not to display subservient body language to any other leader, but this is typically much ado over nothing.

16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I guess as long as he doesn't knock his head against the floor seven times there is hope!

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if Lincoln would have bowed to a slave holding Arab potentate or John Kennedy to the emperor of japan?

18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnv sez:
    Bolded mine

Have to disagree on this point; at least if what I've been led to understand about Eastern - near AND far - culture is true. Specifically that there is a pecking order, and you had better observe it or else - "FACE" is everything! Same problem with orientals.

This is, pure & simple, (conditioned on the above statement) the "0" showing his subservience to these various potentates: IE "I'm the BIG-WIG in the US of A, but I concede that we are an arrogant people, so I'm presenting myself as more "global and cultured" than the unwashed masses of "my" country!"

19. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I wonder if he bows to Jesus Christ?

20. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Yes, for example, when he attended church on Easter. He might even bow to pray with his Southern Baptist chaplain.