1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How many books do you have?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 8, 2014.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have a Dake's and it not that bad. Plus, I can use it for a bullet proof vest or as a club. It's THAT big...

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It IS that bad, as he went from sound biblical interpreting to way off the speculations tangent!

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What little I have used it, he makes some valid points, and some bad ones, as well. I like that it has some Greek and Hebrew words in the notes, and has a monstrous concordance.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I have several thousand volumes(hardback & soft) I've collected over 25 years of preaching

If my son so happens to feel called to preach---I'll hand him down my library

If my daughter so happens to marry a "preacher boy" and my son isn't called to preach---I will give my library to my SIL

If none of the above materializes---I will probably find a young preacher boy just starting out---with not much money to buy his own books----and give the sets to that young preacher

:type::saint::saint:

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, many people want e-books and computer programs.

I offered my small collection to a young preacher who didn't have any money, thinking he would jump all over the chance to have a few hundred books to start with.

After the fourth time of offering, I just gave up.

6. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I went through the Kindle phase and wish I had not spent so much money on digital books. I wish I had several of them in print. I love to have reference books at hand for classes and study.

Convicted I would really be very careful using that Dake's Bible. I think every Kenneth Copeland devote carries one at all times.....:smilewinkgrin:

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Dake's 'study" Bible is the One that is probably the closest thing to Scofield among those of us holding to Dispy views among thg Charasmatic crowd, and the notes are best left unread!

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One problem with counting on Kindle is that you don't actually own the books. For reference books, I HAVE to have them in hard copy. I use the Kindle to weed through books and if I like them and feel that they will be useful in the future, I'll get them in hard copy but honestly, there are only a handful of books that I have purchased beyond the Kindle. :)

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I have about 3000 books and have given away many there are many fewer I regularly use. The older I get the more I use the books that help me to study the text of scripture and its historical background. Years ago a Jew who became a Christian pastor once told me that if I were to study and understand the first five books of the bible the rest of scripture would be much easier. I think he is right. Most of scripture was written by those from a Jewish background and to those with a Jewish background. If I do not understand Judaism of that time then I am relying on my background and understanding alone. They are not always the same and sometimes very different.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is something connecting about the feel and scent of the printed book.

Besides, what happens when technology changes? Fifty years from now, will that ebook purchased still be available without buying it again?

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be mistaken, but they (ebooks) are open to reediting and censorship.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

Technically, perhaps that's true. From a practical standpoint, though, you do own your Kindle products and have the right to them through what really amounts to a very long and unexpiring licensing agreement. But that's the way your Windows software works too, and no one would say they do not "own" their Windows program. Oh, they might, but they'd be wrong.

13. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Printed books have no batteries that die...

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh? How? How can they get by the copyright laws then?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Correct. I don't forsee ever losing my Kindle books but as I said, for those I really want to keep, I get them in hard cover. :)

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many old books can be downloaded at www.archive.org. More than I could read in a lifetime.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Kindle Paperwhite battery lasts me about 4 weeks or so - and that's with me reading every night. When I go on vacation on my sailboat, I used to take a boat bag FULL of books from the library. Now I just tuck my Kindle in my purse. :) When I'm out and done with a book....I can start on the next one!! I also have almost 1000 books on my Kindle, of which I paid for less than 20. These are either new books or very old books that would be too costly for me to purchase. It's great!

18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure. Thought that I read (I admit that I could be mistaken) that an ebook of two were retroactively edited. Maybe a couple of years ago. (?)

19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs. Rolf buys her books exclusively that way. She loves it. Frankly, I have no idea how many she has now, but let's say that a tree was spared. She would not go back to print.

I have a Kindle, too. But it is used mostly for Miniclip pool...:laugh:

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oftentimes I've noticed a lot of formatting issues or misspellings and those will be corrected later. Other than that, I don't think they can edit content without the express permission of the author. :)

As for the trees - yeah. I LOVE that I've been able to get a bunch of classics and reread them and I have the entire GA Henty book set which are GREAT historical fiction books for teen boys. They are quite expensive so it's nice to get all 95 books for free!!!

But for good reference books, I want them in my hand so I don't have any on my Kindle that I know of. Any that I use are in paper copy.