1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many Deacons does your church have?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I have been to churches that have 300 members and 12 deacons. I have been to small churches with 100 members that had no deacons. The first church in Jerusalem had 7 deacons and had 3000 plus members. Is there a formula that is used to determine how many deacons a church should have? How many deacons does your church have and why? Maybe this would be a good question for Pastors.

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We have four deacons in our church. They truly act as servants and not dictators. They take care of the widows and children with bad home lives, and they are wonderful fellows.
    As for a formula - I am not sure. We had 5 but when he left the church years ago, we didnt replace him. Didnt really need to. We have about 75 in worship.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no specific number of deacons specified in our church constitution (or IMHO in Scripture).

The number selected is based upon need.

In the church I attend the decision to increase the number of deacons is decided by the pastors and the deacons themselves.

Currently we have thirteen or fourteen deacons for a church of about 350-400 active members.

Rob

4. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Our church currently has eight deacons, five men and three women and no, I didn't vote for any of the female deacons.

Sheila

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have none presently. In a new church work, we are just starting to build a foundation. We have two men who are "elders-in-training" and they truly serve as "servant/leaders" in the group.

In my home church (I am a missionary) we have 100 members and usually 2 or at most 3 deacons. We ifb'ers don't want anything that smacks of a deacon BOARD that runs things!!

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

We are in the 100 member range and have 16 active deacons :eek: They are actively doing nothing.

7. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Three deacons, but one is knocking on 100, so he is not active much anymore, but does make it to church about everytime the door is open and he lives 50 miles away. Congregation size is about 50.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

We generally have between 85-100 in worship on Sunday morning and we have 6 deacons, and are looking to add a couple more.

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Then your pastor should put them to work or fire them. I have found in my experiences in some IFB Churches, the deacons seem to be bodyguards for the pastor who acts like "The Godfather".

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Officially we got 4, all are active.
    If you are the sort of purist who thinks sundayschoolteachers don't count as deacons we've got 2, if you are the sort of purist who thinks the verger of a church is also a deacon we've got 5.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

We had 12 but one family moved. We have about 200 active members.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You gotta be kidding, Gib. What's the real number of "active" (not some honorary nonsense that SBC gives as lifetime achievement reward)?

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

Their mentality is you're an active deacon for life. Of the 16, 4 are older than the hills, but still come to the deacon's meeting, breakfast, dinners, ect. They still are active as ushers, partaking in communion and seeing to the needs of the shut-ins.

14. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

15. cindig2

cindig2 New Member

Our church has 18, we have 600-700 in worship. My parent's church has 65, they have around 1,200 in worship.

16. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Good gracious!

We have 2.

We went for about 3 years with only one until my dad was ordained a deacon last year.

The set number should be enough to carry out the responsibilities of a deacon. If there aren't enough men to do that, then the church needs more.

Our church could never be with no deacons Dr. Bob. Our deacons are the trustees to the church property, so we kind of need them. [​IMG]

We have 27 members.

When the church was constituted, 1974, they ordained 4 deacons. The most we have ever had at one time is 5.

mioque, help this Old Baptist out a little. What is a verger? :confused:

17. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

18. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

We have 14 deacons. They are servants in the church and have no authority. They minister to the needs of our people. Most of them do a great job, love the Lord and His people. We have 250 to 300 in worship on Sundays.

Our understanding for our deacons is this---"If someone gets sick in the back of the church, it is to be a deacon, not the custodian, who cleans up and helps the person".

The Lord has blessed us with these wonderful men.

Bro Tony

19. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

20. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

50 members and 3 deacons.
    One who nobody knows is a deacon unless they've been there for 10 years.
    He tried to resign, but our departed pastor/parasite never got around to bringing it up at a business meeting and another deacon talked him into waiting until we got another pastor so he could be replaced.

Said other deacon makes one foolish decision after another and the church pretty much ignores him, though he sees himself as the leader of the church in the absence of a pastor or interim.

{Leaders aren't really leaders who are not followed.}

Third deacon is pretty much idle.

We are in the process, voting tomorrow, of calling a new pastor who seems to have a spirit led leadership quality. Hopefully our church will become functional again.

Hebrews 13 something tells us to follow the example of our leaders faith.

Hoo boy.

MR