1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many different Baptist faiths are there?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Hi again to everyone, i'm new here and should warn you that I am well known on other boards for asking the tough questions (hey it isn't always a bad thing ;)

But anyways being a new Baptist (okay i'm not really a Baptist yet, i will be a member in september when I am baptized), I'm wondering what the difference is between all of the different Baptist faiths. I belong to a GARBC church but have heard of a lot of others (IFB, SBC, NBC, the list goes on). It surpises me that their are wholly Armenian churches and primarily Calvinistic churches all under the "Baptist" label. I come from the Lutheran faith, and while there are many different synods (ELCA, LCMS, etc) they have the creeds (Nicene, Apostles) to keep them connected. Where as each Baptist group seems to be a denomination in itself.

I look forward to your responses :D

Adam (a.k.a. Flyfree432 [Eph. 4:32])

2. John Wells

John Wells New Member

The reason for the lack of responses is that we are still counting! :D You know how difficult that is. There are all those dangling chads, incomplete ballots, etc. And just when we thought we had the real number of different types of Baptists, Dr. Bob called for a recount! :eek:

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Actually I think there is only one Baptist faith, though there are differences on minor issues (at least minor Scripturally though some Baptists think they are major). All of the different groups you mention differ on things other than these listed below.

An easy acronym

B - Baptism by immersion or Believing membership
    A - Autonomy of the local church
    P - Priesthood of the believer
    T - Two ordinances
    I - Individual soul liberty
    S - Separation of church and state
    T - Two officers.

Some would add some other things but these are what set Baptist apart from saved Presbyterians, Bible church-ers, etc. Of course, Dr. Bob probably has a more concise and easy to remember summary than this.

Unfortunately, there is a tendency in some "Baptist" church to abandon the two officers.

4. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

What are the two officers? The pastor and ???

5. John Wells

John Wells New Member

The pastor and his body guard! Just kidding. :D

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TurboMike:
    What are the two officers? The pastor and ???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deacon (Phil 1:1; 1 Tim 3)

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Baptists all believe in the autonomy (self-governing and independence) of the local church, each church may opt to fellowship with certain groups, associations, conventions, mission agencies, etc, to help promote mutual work.

There is NO Baptist "denomination". There are only local Baptist churches who agree on basic doctrine and polity (way to run a church).

Not every church that labels itself "baptist" is truly a Baptist Church.

8. Gabba

Gabba Guest

woh man, mind-boggling shtuff!, if u think about it, there are too many to count for every religion/denomination on this planet alone!!!