1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

how many Distinctives can We Add before Gospel becomes A false gospel Message?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

just wondering how many distinctives a group can add before that causes it to become now a "False Gospel?"

Catholics add baptism, sacraments, papacy. tradition, Purgeotory etc
    Lutherns add must be bastised
    Some pentacosolists deny trinity, must be baptism a specific method, must speak in tongues
    Some baptists say must be KJV only, others that IF you practice any sign gifts cannot be saved

Some church of christ teach must be bapised
    Some say must be calvanists say say must be Armenium

just WHAT can be added to the Gospel before it becomes really a False Gospel?

Which churches mentioned above fall into a "False Gospel/False Church?"

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Jesus Fan

Great idea for a thread. Thanks

Lets consider some "distinctives."

Is scripture our sole authority, or can we add in church leader authority.
    If it is good enough for Augustine, its good enough for me mentality.

Are we saved by grace alone through faith alone, or do we need to add in a few meritorious acts. Water Baptism? Speaking in Tongues? No blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

The doctrine of the Trinity is essential, I believe because without it, folks might believe Jesus was not God with us.

I believe in the "believer's water baptism" where folks who have put their trust in Christ alone, in obedience to Christ undergo water baptism. But if someone did not have the opportunity or missed the opportunity, would that mean he or she would not be saved? I say, of course they would be saved.

Works are a very important part of salvation, but not in obtaining saving grace through faith in Christ. Once a person has been set apart spiritually in Christ, then works contribute to our growth and maturity, Paul's fruit of the Spirit. And thus a life without works of faith robs us of our confidence that we are saved, and earns us no rewards so we enter heaven as one escaping from a fire.

3. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

Paul says that anything we add to the simplicity that is in Christ is a false gospel. One thing that all false religions have in common is the fact that they make Heaven, paradise or Nirvana up to man's will. It doesn't matter whether you call it Baptist or Buhdist if it puts the focus and determining factor on man rather than God it is false.