1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many here plan To Buy A NIV 2011 Study Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    so what do you use? I am not a bible scholar remember

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am certainly not a Bible scholar either. I consult Bible commentaries and other Bible study helps -- but when it comes to primarily Bible reading I stick with a translation without a lot of notes. I make my own notes. I compare Scripture with Scripture.

I've said before that the TNIV (soon the 2011) is my favorite.Then the old MLB,followed by the NLTse etc.

Ever since Christmas I have been going through a chronological Bible. I'm a little behind schedule in my daily reading plan --around March 11th presently. I may catch up in early May when I head back to the States for a while.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well opinions not with standing, Im a fairly new Christian...less than 2 years in the making. I had to accumulate all my ill gotten gains prior to Religion so one bible in the house was fine with me (in a far corner of the house & full of dust) LOL . So when the lord suddenly pulls me out & gives me a new life I ran to the closest place that sells books....The Wal-Mart & selected a modestly priced NKJV because it was easy to read & it has big print (easy on my over 50 eyes) I also got a paperback NIV Mens Devotional Bible to carry around & + I liked some of the commentary. Ive relied heavy on the HS to guide me thru my readings but I thought perhaps a study bible might help. Guess now I will stick to what works.... The HS is a great teacher.

4. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

Well.....I just bought a Latte/Mocha 2011 NIV Giant Print Ref Bible. I have not yet decided definitely, but, 'we are not amused' by the inclusive language, the singulars made plural, and about a page's worth of defending inclusive language in the preface. I think it is a warmed-over TNIV, which was something I would not allow in the house. Within 30 days, I will probably return this new Bible, and go back to the KJV.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are looking for a modern alternative, I would suggest the NASB or the ESV instead of the NIV'11.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's gender-inclusive language thats driving your decision then you may want to reconsider your choice.

Gender inclusive language in the KJV

υἱός [Greek masculine plural noun] = sons

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
    Matthew 5:9 (AV 1873)

Also see in Matthew:
    5:45, 8:12; 9:15; 12:27; 13:38 (x2); 17:25, 26; 20:20; 23:31; 27:9, 56;

Now if you are returning it because of the Mocha Latte cover I'm all with you.
    None of that uppity warmed-over coffee stuff for me!

Rob

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That's a good point, Rob. Those who moan about translations being 'gender-inclusive' seem to miss the point that the Greek itself was gender-inclusive- ἀδελφοί, for an example.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are taking a giant leap backwards --at least in terms of the English language.

Why did you order it in the first place?

9. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

Certainly NOT. I have examined a copy of the NIV2011 Study Bible, and it looks absolutely FANTASTIC.
    But, it's the NIV2011 text that I can't stand. And I wasn't crazy nuts about the original NIV, either.

10. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

Because I was being open enough to take a look at the revision to see it for myself.
    And, I don't like it. And, yes, I returned it.

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The TNIV is a fantastic translation, produced by some of the finest evangelical scholars and textual critics. I haven't decided if I will prefer it or the NIV 2011.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't buy study Bibles even of my favorite translations. ( I have accepted a gift of study Bible before though).

I really appreciate the TNIV. In some ways the 2011 NIV is an improvement --in other ways it is a step back to please the hyper-ESV crowd in my estimation. But all in all, the 2011 NIV stands as the best all around English Bible version.

That said I still have submitted some suggestions to a member of the translation team to consider the next time they meet in order to further refine this excellent translation.

I'm looking forward to next year. At that time I will stop designating it as the 2011 NIV and just call it the NIV. I trust no one will confuse it with the 84 edition when I reference it as the NIV.

13. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Would say that a good study bible for you would be something like the Zondervan NAS study bible, NIV study notes adopted to NASV...

Another good one would be the Ryrie Study Bible, as on my second one, worn out the first!

Think study bibles are good "AS LONG AS YOU see that the study notes are not inspired as the text itself is!

14. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shouldn't that statement have been preceded with "In MY opinion......." ?

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I have to preface every comment with an explicit statement saying it's my opinion --just to satisfy you --Mr. Drive-by?

What "in your opinion" is the best all-round translation? Please give reasons for your answer.

16. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you post something like it's a fact, yes. It's misleading, when it's only your opinion. Why the name calling?

I prefer the KJV/NKJV, but think the best versions are those who use the TR, because I believe they are the more accurate manuscripts.

Notice I said "I believe". I didn't state my beliefs as facts.

#36 Baptist4life, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name calling shows much about people - like using cuss words or ad hominem attacks. Usually paucity of thought.

Not good, my brothers. :(

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I have a dozen ESV's I'm giving this christmastime. Giving bibles, books or cd's is my gift of choice

19. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Do you have an ESV study bible?

Any study tools in "just" the ESV version?

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only have an NIV "Study" Bible. In the ESV I use the Reformation Study Bible (paying dues to our particular Baptist heritage and great teaching of the doctrines of grace).

But hey, I'm old fashioned. I still use my KJV1769 Oxford edition of the old Scofield for my basic study bible.