1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Many Husbands?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Gershom, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

A discussion has come up elsewhere in a restricted area of the board as to the number of husbands the woman at the well in Samaria had.

John 4
    16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
    17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
    18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

The woman said "I have no husband." Jesus replied "thou hast had five husbands."

Did she have a husband at this time or not? Some people teach that she was married to five men, some say no because of divorce, some say the husbands had died.

What do you say? I know some in the church believe that divorced and remarried folk are living in adultery.

A preacher had made a comment during his sermon about a man in this situation. I asked the preacher after the service why he felt this man he spoke of was disqualified from preaching and his response was "because he has two living wives."

I bring this up here because I am restricted from replying in the Baptist Only area.

So I guess the question is, if there is divorce, why do some believe you are still married?

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Regarding the conversation between Jesus and the woman at the well:

I can't find that verse ... the one where you quote Jesus as telling the woman "Go and sin no more." Where is that? It's not in John 4. You're claiming Jesus was saying that she was in sin, but you've put a quote in there, even emphasizing it with all caps/bold letters, that's nowhere in the passage. Am I missing something?

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

John 4:18 for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; in that you spoke truly."

Joh 8:11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

Two separate incidents of adultery. Sorry to make it appear as one.

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

So you believe that the Samaritan woman was an adultress? What is your basis for that claim? (not being argumentative - just looking for thoughts)

5. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She was an adulteress. Jesus said she had a man who was not her husband. While GOd hates divorce, He also acknowledges its reality. A divorced man is probably not in a position to be in the ministry because he is not blameless, nor did he lead his own household well.

6. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Please elaborate. Are you saying the man was married to someone else while with the Samaritan woman?

7. Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber New Member

Do you think that Jesus was refering to the People she had Sex with the two become One. To God is it not considered Marriage.

8. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please elaborate. Are you saying the man was married to someone else while with the Samaritan woman? </font>[/QUOTE]We have no way of knowing that and it doesn't matter. He was not HER husband.

9. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It means she had been married five times. People not married to each other having sexual relations is considered fornication (or adultery)

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Had the first 5 men died? Adultery/ Fornication..... still sin.

John 4:18 for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; in that you spoke truly."

11. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

You say "we have no way of knowing that" and freely charge her with being an adultress with the attitude that "it doesn't matter."

It matters because you are accusing this woman of adultery. While relations outside of marriage may be considered fornication, what is considered to be adultery? Is it lying with someone else who is married? Is it lying with someone while you yourself are married? What defines adultery?

Why do you say she was an adultress? Would the fact of her not being married and the possibility of the current man not being married change your view?

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Fornication: Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.

Someone who is committing adultery is also committing fornication.

WORD HISTORY The word fornication had a lowly beginning suitable to what has long been the low moral status of the act to which it refers. The Latin word fornix, from which fornicātiō, the ancestor of fornication, is derived, meant “a vault, an arch.” The term also referred to a vaulted cellar or similar place where prostitutes plied their trade. This sense of fornix in Late Latin yielded the verb fornicārī, “to commit fornication,” from which is derived fornicātiō, “whoredom, fornication.” Our word is first recorded in Middle English about 1303.

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

But is someone who is commiting fornication always committing adultery?

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Why did Jesus send her for her husband? He knew she had no husband. I submit that it was to bring her under conviction of her sin. In verse 15, she asks Jesus for 'the water that I will thirst no more (loose translation)'. Before Jesus could give her that water, she had to be aware of her sinful state.

The very fact that this woman drew water from the well in the heat of the day... noon... (the 6th hour) points to the probability that she was either ashamed or was an outcast from the proper women in town.

Notice tho that when she ran into town, she approached all with boldness and left behind her worldly things, such as her water pot.

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If they are a Christian.... YES! I submit:

1 Corinthians 6:15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For "the two," He says, "shall become one flesh." 17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Okay. But Paul is speaking in spiritual terms and talking about sexual immorality/fornication. I don't see how this explains the physical, earthly marriage/adultery between a man and a woman issue.

Fornication does not carry the same definition of adultery. For adultery to be the charge, one or the other must be married. You can't prove that to be the case regarding the woman at the well.

17. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

But it doesn't say he was anyone else's husband either. Could have been a single man. Two people seeing one another do not call each other "husband" or "wife."

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

* We can prove she was in a sinful state whether fornication or adultery.

* She didn't go to the well early mornings with the other women. Why?

* She didn't run into town saying 'Come and see a man who knew about all my poor dead husbands'.

* Jewish people at that time could divorce over something as silly as burnt supper and this woman was a Samaratian.

* 4:17b - 18" Jesus said to her, "You have well said, 'I have no husband,' for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; in that you spoke truly."

* John 4:29 "Come, see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?"

ALL Jesus said about her life is .... "You have well said, 'I have no husband,' for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband;"

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

BTW.. JESUS SAID: Mt 19:9
    And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Sounds to me like JESUS said fornication and adultery are basically the same thing. N'est pas?

20. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I disagree. You don't know the background of her previous marriages, i.e., whether dead of divorced. So you really cannot say she was in a sinful state. It appears that she was not married from what she said and from the reply of Jesus, and we do not know that the man she was currently with was married, so we cannot conclude that she nor he was committing adultery.

Also, we do not know that she and the current man were having relations, so we cannot conclude that there was fornication.

I don't know. But I wouldn't just figure it was because of some open sin.

Does what she didn't say prove the case you're making against her?

I know. Jesus fixed that problem as He taught about the proper reasons for divorce.

I realize that. And that's why I question folks who label this woman as an adultress/fornicator when the evidence just isn't there. It's a shame, really.