1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many Scofield Bibles printed since 1909?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Just_Ahead, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering, any opinions (statistics would be better) on how many Scofield Bibles have been printed since 1909?

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With your question, do you mainly have in mind the total number of individual Bibles printed, or something more like how many different editions there are? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been at least two different editions of the old Scofield Reference Bible.

The 1909 Scofield had mostly a typical Oxford KJV text along with a new set of few changes and errors likely unintentionally introduced by its printers.

At least some editions of the Scofield Study Bible that has an additional 1996 copyright have a post-1900 Cambridge KJV text like that in a Cambridge Concord edition.

#3 Logos1560, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Mangum and Sweetnam in The Scofield Bible: Its History and Impact on the Evangelical Church (2009), there are at least 3 variations of Scofield notes in publication -- Scofield's original from 1909, his revised notes in 1917, and the revised notes that were done in 1967. Also they say the Scofield notes are available with KJV, NASB, NIV, NKJV, and ESV translations (pp. 200-201). So far I have not found that they discussed the Bible in terms of sales numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Mangum and Sweetnam also have this (2009, p. 7):
    In her thesis From Confederate Deserter to Decorated Veteran Bible Scholar: Exploring the Enigmatic Life of C. I. Scofield 1861-1921 (2011, p. 118), D. Jean Rushing explains:

#5 rlvaughn, Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the posts on this thread. For sure, I am interested in many aspects of the Scofield Bible -- influence, various editions, total number of individual Scofield Bibles printed, and other related issues. Particular thanks for referencing Mangum and Sweetnam's The Scofield Bible: Its History and Impact on the Evangelical Church (2009). This appears to be a one of a kind book. I plan to order the Kindle version of Mangum and Sweetnam. And I look forward to a positive discussion of the influence of the Scofield Bible in this thread.

7. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And thanks also for mentioning D. Jean Rushing's thesis -- From Confederate Deserter to Decorated Veteran Bible Scholar: Exploring the Enigmatic Life of C. I. Scofield (2011); as well as the older histories by Sutcliffe and Gaebelein.

8. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But right now, I must excuse myself to walk my dog, who is pictured in my avatar. He is curled up at my feet and has been waiting patiently...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gordon Campbell observed: “Scofield’s Bible became immensely popular, and in its first two editions sold more than a million copies by 1930 and two million by 1945” (Bible, p. 245).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Oxford edition of the KJV in the old Scofield Reference Bible had some unique or different renderings that could be said to characterize it [“and all that” (Lev. 14:36), “unto the coast“ (Deut. 3:14), “And when thou dost” (Deut. 24:10), “hastened” (1 Sam. 17:48), “people of the men” (2 Sam. 16:15), “the Lord“ (1 Kings 8:56, Jer. 32:26), “anything” (Rom. 8:33), “lusteth” (Rev. 18:14)].

In these places it differs from most typical post-1900 editions of the KJV including Oxford editions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back with my dog from our evening walk.

12. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also the editorial history and the text differences are very interesting.

13. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As is the personal biography of Scofield himself. To be so bold, one might say the lives of Scofield and Apostle Paul had a few similarities in their early years.

#13 Just_Ahead, Apr 9, 2021
  14. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without a doubt, one might go on to say Scofield was a hero of the Christian faith in his later years.

15. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some who will not agree with that previous statement. But let that be as it may be.

16. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Christian hero aspect is how Scofield introduced Bible scholarship on a personal level, particularly for those Christians who did not have the benefit of an education at a Bible college or seminary. I remember in my own life how I used the Scofield Study Bible -- notes, references, helps, maps, etc. I would sequester myself in my study and make numerous margin notations in my first Scofield Study Bible. Today, I enjoy reading the comments at online sources (e.g., ChristianBook.com) -- from those buying the same Scofield Bible edition again after wearing out previous copies. It was the same with me with my previous Scofield copies. Seemed like I just could not make enough margin notations and color underlines. For sure... For sure.

17. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well. I am going to call it a day. I hope others will visit this thread and make additional posts.

18. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been my Pastor's bible for 60 years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scofield was also a stalwart in the area of missions. I don't have time to say more right now, but maybe someone will.

When you interpret the Bible literally, guess what! You have to seek to win the world to Christ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1