1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many sins to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You go girl...........:)

2. BrianReimer

BrianReimer New Member

Hi Amy, if the righteousness of Jesus imputed to us is the only criterion at the JSOC then why will some receive more rewards than others?

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I thought we all got a "penny"?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Because some did more good works than others. But, good works won't save you. The punishment for sin was layed on Christ. I think God is very gracious that He rewards us at all.

Isa 53:5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being {fell} upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.
    Isa 53:6 All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way; But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him.

5. BrianReimer

BrianReimer New Member

Interesting.

When did we say they would. We desire that we should be rewarded with rulership in the 1000 year reign of Jesus. Remember we are at the JSOC because of what Jesus did for us.

Amen, Amy.

It is the sins we haven't put under the blood, Amy. Unrepentant sin. Jesus is now our High Priest, when we go to Him in repentenance for our sins He is faithful to blot them out. But the operative word is submitting these sins to Him in repentance. How offensive it is to consider we wouldn't avail ourselves such a High Priest and continue in sin when you consider the high price He paid for it. God bless you, Amy.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Imagine that??? Constantly scurring and scrambling around trying to equate their work to the finished work of the Lord Jesus---getting robbed of the Lord's Rest---because man's work does not equal God's rest. In my way of thinking---the Lord Jesus Christ does the "work" for the Kingdom---and by grace He gives me the "rest" of the Kingdom

#66 blackbird, Aug 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

8. BrianReimer

BrianReimer New Member

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Amy that's just impossible. What you are saying with this statement is that God's forgiveness is not good enough and that while He has already dealt with all your sin His dealing was imperfect so that when this future sin comes into reality it breaks your fellowship.

That's simply impossible. Either the sin is forgiven and it's a perfect cleansing or the sin is not forgiven.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If the sin was already forgiven then why do we need an advocate with God. When it says "tho your sins be as scarlet, they shall be made white as snow", its talking about the sins you have done, not going to do.
    I just do not believe as you folks do, that when you are forgiven, then you can commit all the sins you want and the most grievous of sins and it does not matter for they all ready paid for. Well, the blood may have been shed, but if you sin, you have to repent and have the advocate plead your case before God for you. Whoop da do, I can sin my life away now, I got the blood. (foolishness). I can see the devil teaching people "you shall surely not die" but I can't see the church teaching that.

#70 Brother Bob, Aug 5, 2007
  11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Heb 10:39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who BELIEVE to the saving of the soul.

Change "believe" to "have lots of good works" and you'll be closer to proving your heresy.

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

This is being taught on this board every day and if you don't think the church isn't preaching it I would encourage you to travel a bit :). Or I should really say :tear: :tear: :tear:

This is EXACTLY the message the church and Christians are spreading these days!

13. BrianReimer

BrianReimer New Member

Sorry, you are going to have to do better than that. What you are saying is this chapter among the multitude of other warnings in scripture are unnecessary. I mean really, why not just eliminate 9 tenths of the bible, with that kind of logic? **Insult deleted**

#73 BrianReimer, Aug 5, 2007
  14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, whattaya know, Bob! We have a point of very strong agreement! (It was bound to happen.)

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I can't believe it! But I doubt if we believe the same on whether they were saved to start with or not. I don't believe anyone has ever been saved period, if they continue on in greivous sins.:)

#75 Brother Bob, Aug 5, 2007
  16. BrianReimer

BrianReimer New Member

blackbird, I'm sorry I offended you. However, the statement was correct. I am searching for the post in which he stated that...'he is not a fan of James (the book)...', further questioning if it should even be included in the canon of scripture. In fact another concurred with him. That is a fact which can be verified by others. Unfortunately, when you delete what I said it leads others to believe I actually said something offensive and that is regrettable as it(insult deleted) besmirches my reputation. It was a statement of fact that is highly relevant when debating scripture.

Edit Add:

Ok I stand corrected on part, it was two others that questioned that it should be canon. But the statement above stands.

#76 BrianReimer, Aug 5, 2007
  17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

There is not one person on this board that teaches that salvation is a license to sin. You will have to prove that one.

The born again Christian WILL confess his sin and repent, because he has been reborn and has the Spirit of God in him. For someone to say "oh boy, I'm saved so I can go do anything I want" is foolishness because the one born of the Spirit doesn't see sin that way. Anyone who would say such a foolish thing is not saved. So that is just a moot point.

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well if you will go back and re-read what Bro. Bob said that wasn't what he said. And that wasn't what I was talking about either.

However since you brought it up . . . I know you wouldn't do it directly, but that is the logical conclusion of your theology. Every sin has been taken care of already and there is no penalty to pay so there is no danger for the believer to do whatever it is that they please. The only thing you all have said is that their slice of the paradise pie is going to be a little smaller than everyone else's, so that's hardly reason to stop serving self now.

Or you just accuse them of not being saved in the first place.

Well that's a nice statement of opinion, but neither you nor anyone else on this board has ever been able to come up with any Scripture to back it up.

Confession of sin and repentance is a command. People don't automatically follow commands or there would never be a need to issue one.

Do you command your children to blink or breath? Of course not because that is a given. There's just no Scriptural support for the claim. If you have some then by all means let's see it.

Again this is a statement that is not based on a Scriptural foundation. If you've got some let's see it.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How many times do you need scripture posted for you to believe that Christ already took the penalty for your sins????

I would like to hear your personal testimony. Was there any change in your life?

I would still like an answer to my repeated question....

By WHOSE righteousness will you enter the kingdom?

It's not a hard question unless you already know you're wrong and are refusing to admit it.

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Romans 1 through 6 lays it all out, although you should really read through 11 to get the whole message. Of course, you need to consider more than a verse at a time to get the message. I can see how, by building a doctrine around the logical fallacy of fixating on the etymology of a single word, you may not have the attention span for more than a few words or even a verse at a time. But if you need a single verse, I recommend a verse like:

Moreover, the passages that speak of the fruits of the Spirit are not contradicted by other passages. Contrast that to your favorite ME verses and passages. You folks hang your doctrines on verses like the one in James about being justified by works, but you never deal with the fact that the REST of the Bible contradicts your interpretation of that SINGLE verse. I don't expect you to see that, however. Something about God and a strong delusion applies here.