1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Many Times Have You Been Saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jarthur001, May 2, 2006.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Claudia,

Regarding knowing that one is saved...

If you have embraced Christ through faith alone,(and I assume you have of course) you can KNOW that you are saved. Its not presumption or arrogance. Its confidence in the goodness and trustworthiness of God, who has said...

God bless,

Mike

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Where was Peter that he fell? Are you saying Peter was saved before this and then fell out of salvation?

Im not thinking that Peter fell out of salvation, he just fell into sin. Once you do that though you can fall and keep going and not come back to God.

Of course Peter did repent and come back to God though.

You said..
    Sins are only rated by man. To murder is very bad in mans eyes, yet to God it is in the same area as lying. Also, the number of sins to man matters. If i sinned one time, to mankind I just slipped and they forgive fairly easy. If I sin over and over..i'm looked at as a dirty rotten no good for nothing sinner my man, yet to God both the one time sinner and the many time sinner are just sinners.

Who did God save..the rich youg ruler that kept the law..or was it Paul that killed believers?

Im not entirely sure about that ....isnt it in proverbs that it says God hates pride? If you have pride which is a basic thing, it will keep you from alot of things.

Lk:14:11: For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

If you have pride you cease to realize how dependent you are upon Jesus for everything. Without Him you can do nothing.

You said..
    Again..for peter to be going down..step by step....where is the place above that he came from?

Not quite sure what you mean by that. But obviously if he got to the point where he could deny His Lord, he mustve fallen. Jesus said "if you deny Me I will deny you" which is pretty serious, right?

You said..
    So you have no idea with your faith if Paul is in heaven?
    How about John?
    Mark?
    David?

Well I dont believe the dead are in heaven but thats another topic.

I feel like its not my place to judge if someone went to heaven or not.

Your not really sure if anyone made it there..for they may have lost their salvation before they died..that is..in your faith.

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, (((nor any other creature))), SHALL BE ABLE TO SEPARATE US from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38

well Paul also said something about being a castaway

1Cor:9:27: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

..so I doubt he meant he couldnt fall... especially when the Bible tells us:

2Pt:3:17: Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Mk:14:38: Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." John 10:29

Look back at Romans 8:38...nor any other creature.

You are a creature..made by God. You cannot SEPARATE from your father..God

"He that believeth on the Son HATH EVERLASTING LIFE:.. ." John 3:36 NOW

"Who are KEPT BY THE POWER OF GOD through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." 1 Peter 1:5

"Now unto him that is able TO KEEP YOU from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy," Jude 24

"And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby YE ARE SEALED unto the day of redemption." Ephesians 4:30

". . .after that ye believed, YE WERE SEALED with that holy Spirit of promise," Ephesians 1:13

"By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ ONCE FOR ALL. . . For by one offering he hath PERFECTED FOR EVER them that are sanctified." Hebrews 10:10,14

In Christ...James
    </font>[/QUOTE]Paul said nothing could separate him from God, meaning that as long as he kept His faith in God nothing could, that doesnt mean he hasnt the choice to turn away from God.

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Where was Peter that he fell? Are you saying Peter was saved before this and then fell out of salvation?

Im not thinking that Peter fell out of salvation, he just fell into sin. Once you do that though you can fall and keep going and not come back to God.

You said..
    Sins are only rated by man. To murder is very bad in mans eyes, yet to God it is in the same area as lying. Also, the number of sins to man matters. If i sinned one time, to mankind I just slipped and they forgive fairly easy. If I sin over and over..i'm looked at as a dirty rotten no good for nothing sinner my man, yet to God both the one time sinner and the many time sinner are just sinners.

Who did God save..the rich youg ruler that kept the law..or was it Paul that killed believers?

Im not entirely sure about that ....isnt it in proverbs that it says God hates pride? If you have pride which is a basic thing, it will keep you from alot of things.

Lk:14:11: For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

If you have pride you cease to realize how dependent you are upon Jesus for everything. Without Him you can do nothing.

You said..
    Again..for peter to be going down..step by step....where is the place above that he came from?

Not quite sure what you mean by that. But obviously if he got to the point where he could deny His Lord, he mustve fallen. Jesus said "if you deny Me I will deny you" which is pretty serious, right?

You said..
    How about John?
    Mark?
    David?

Your not really sure if anyone made it there..for they may have lost their salvation before they died..that is..in your faith.

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, (((nor any other creature))), SHALL BE ABLE TO SEPARATE US from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38

1Cor:9:27: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

2Pt:3:17: Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Mk:14:38: Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." John 10:29

"Who are KEPT BY THE POWER OF GOD through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." 1 Peter 1:5

"Now unto him that is able TO KEEP YOU from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy," Jude 24

"And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby YE ARE SEALED unto the day of redemption." Ephesians 4:30

". . .after that ye believed, YE WERE SEALED with that holy Spirit of promise," Ephesians 1:13

"By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ ONCE FOR ALL. . . For by one offering he hath PERFECTED FOR EVER them that are sanctified." Hebrews 10:10,14

In Christ...James
    </font>[/QUOTE]Paul said nothing could separate him from God, meaning that as long as he kept His faith in God nothing could, that doesnt mean he hasnt the choice to turn away from God.

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

You said..

You said..

You said..
    How about John?
    Mark?
    David?

In Christ...James

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

oh man, I better not post anything else, I cant believe it keeps doing it multiple times... plus I dont know how to do it right anyway it looks like, when you insert your remarks after each of their remarks...

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Claudia,

again let me repost..for Paul covers this..

Look back at Romans 8:38..."nor any other creature "

In Christ..James

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

James,
    Instead of starting at Romans 8:38 you should start earlier than that.

If you read the previous verses before that it stipulates who exactly Paul is referring to... and that is those who are no longer walking in the flesh (carnal minded people who dont pay heed to the law of God)... but who are now instead walking in the spirit.

Romans 8:
    1: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Here Jesus also tells us who wont be separated from the love of the Father:

Jn:14:21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Claudia

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

See? I can do debatey-type stuff if I try real hard :D

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

James,
    Instead of starting at Romans 8:38 you should start earlier than that.

If you read the previous verses before that it stipulates who exactly Paul is referring to... and that is those who are no longer walking in the flesh (carnal minded people who dont pay heed to the law of God)... but who are now instead walking in the spirit.

Romans 8:
    1: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Here Jesus also tells us who wont be separated from the love of the Father:

Jn:14:21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Claudia
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes indeed. Now look at the fine details that you forgot to place in bold.

3: For what the law could not do , in that it was weak through the flesh , God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    The law of Moses could not save us, because of our sinful nature. But God put into effect a different plan to save us. He sent his own Son in a human body like ours, except that ours are sinful. God destroyed sin's control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. He did this so that the requirement of the law would be fully accomplished for us. Only those that are saved have the spirit to walk with.

The idea here is, Walking in the flesh is walking in the Law. Our flesh is to weak to keep the Law. Walking in the Spirit is walking by the grace of God. We are to repent from our sins, trust God and the Spirit walks with you keeping you from sin. This is not a 2 fold deal. In other words, the spirit is not given only IF we walk that way. The Spirit is given so that we WILL walk that way. Therefore, when we are saved by grace, Holy Spirit comes to live in us that we will walk in the Spirit...both are at salvation.

If you move on down in the passage you will see this very clear..

26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
    Notice that even when we do not know how to pray and what to pray for...it is the Spirit that prays for us. This is part of the help that God gives us for our walk.

then move on down to verse 30...predestinate...not just election, but rather..destiny known. Those in the Spirit have a place for them. Its like having a ticket to NY City. You know where the plane will land. That is US in Christ.

30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Therefore, if we move back to the passage, Paul is telling us that those that are saved/those that have the Holy Spirit to walk with them will always be saved.

35Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Again...many people say yes..God will not leave us...but we can leave God. Well..this verse says you cannot. You are a creature, made by God...so verse 39.."nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God."

It is clear as day

IN Christ..James

10. mnw

mnw New Member

Like someone posted in the jokes section:

Once shaved by grace, always shaved...

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

James,

I lost track of this thread or I wouldve answered back sooner!

Ok see what you think of this. Here is how I view these verses:

Romans 8:

3: For what the law could not do , in that it was weak through the flesh , God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

The "law of sin and death"... what does that mean?

Ezek:18:4: the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Like a cycle, like what Paul lamented about in Romans chapter 7. He wants to do right but cant. You sin, you die, you sin, you pay the penalty, over and over... that is the "Law of sin and death"...

Kind of like when we say the "law of gravity"... you drop something and this is what it's going to do...

SEE HERE? READ:

Rom:7:23: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to THE LAW OF SIN which is in my members.

Well you see the LAW could not free us from that! The law can only point out sin to us, and thats all!

ok then we read two things:

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

AND

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Ok the law of the spirit of life has made us free from the law of sin and death...this means it is our way out of this cycle of sin and death..

Galtians 5 answers to that one..

If we begin following the Holy Spirits leading we drop out of sin and begin to have the fruits of the Spirit being seen in our lives...

In other words we actually are no longer violating the Law anymore...thus, NOT UNDER that law of sin and death anymore! we break out of that cycle...

Galatians 5:
    21: Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    22: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23: Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    24: And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Allright, and now for the last part which now fits right into the whole picture very nicely with no effort!

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Claudia

[ May 05, 2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

women all across America wish that were true when it comes to shaving their legs...

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

James,

I have to come back in a little bit to try and answer the other stuff you wrote [​IMG]

Claudia

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Could someone please explain to me in simple language what "exegesis" means? I keep seeing that on this Baptist Board and I'd heard of it before but I really dont know what it means.

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Gosh I was just looking and I guess I DO sometimes post 4 messages in a row... well I guess this is 5

16. gekko

gekko New Member

its all hermaneutics (sp?)
    exegesis according to Crossmovement Records:

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Exegesis is your explanation or criticism or illustration or even outline, that is added to Bible study in order to express your views on the text.

In others words...its what we ALL are doing on this board.

[​IMG]

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Let me change that a bit, for i think I mislead the meaning.

If I could use one phrase in place of exegesis it would be.."Your outline" of the passage. In other words its not so much looking at on word, or even one verse. Its having a overall view of the text and taking that view though the full book as the meaning.

In other words...

Romans by many has the key point/message of righteousness. They then go on to try to prove this with a outline showing how Paul preaches this thoughout the book.

That is more the idea...then just a illustration.

In Christ...James

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Thanks Guys,

Now I think I understand a little more what exegesis means. So its not really any set "method" of interpreting a Bible passage, its more like just "ex-tracting" parts out of the whole to show that there is a definite pattern of thought.

At least I think thats what you all are saying.

...but there isnt any particular "formula" you go by.

I was just hoping maybe I could understand a little better how to do that, since with a whole lot of the conversations going on on this Message Board, I dont have a clue what everyone is talking about, but I wish that I could participate.

...especially the Sola Scriptura section and stuff like that where they are posting all this Church History and things like that.

Claudia