1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much grape juice is too much grape juice?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My guess is that the fermentation dates is pushed back.
    It would probably start the process sooner otherwise

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I sure hope you're not a Deacon, then. Heck, some people here may even question whether or not you're saved. ;)

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Because there's yeast and mold floating in the air, and it gets into the grape juice. So whether the yeast comes from the grape itself (yeast and mold grow naturally on all grapes), or from the air, it gets in and starts eating sugar, which is fermentation.

4. His Blood Spoke My Name

Just because grape juice might ferment if the temperature is not right does not mean one is to drink it after it is fermented.

As a matter of fact, the Bible commands us not to drink it.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Does the yeast get inside the grape before it is juiced?

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That was the 11th commandment, right?

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Good question, I am reading all about wines and grapes etc on wikipedia.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it is a fact that grape juice will ferment given ANY circumstance except freezing, how is one to know when it has fermented? If one drinks welches grape juice well before the expiration date...and fermenting has begun to take place unknowingly, has that person sinned?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What happened to the smile :D

10. His Blood Spoke My Name

Continue to mock God's Word, He just may let you have your way.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, but that's not the real issue. There's no way to juice grapes without the yeast on them getting into the juice. There's a modern process (it uses less pressure) that juices grapes in a way that minimizes the amount of yeast and mold that gets into the juice but there's no way to prevent it entirely. You have to kill the natural yeast/mold one way or another if you want it out of the juice. You can do that by boiling the juice, pasteurizing it, adding chemicals that kill the yeast, or allowing it to ferment (the alcohol kills the yeast).

In all cases except wine with a high enough alcohol content, the resulting drink can and will ferment due to yeast in the air. You can essentially stop that from happening by vacuum packing the pasteurized juice, like Welch's. You can also boil the juice down to a syrup. You make a drink by adding water, but if you don't drink it right away, it will ferment.

In modern wine-making (not how they made new wine in the NT), they often kill the wild yeast and then add their own yeast because it produces a more consistent flavor, since their own yeast is a "known" variable.

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

If one continues to ignore God's Word and drinks because of foolish logic, will God overlook it?

13. His Blood Spoke My Name

It is amazing that people think that the killing off of the wild yeast can be done today, but was not even grasped in Bible times.

People had a lot more knowledge back then than many give them credit for.

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Isaiah 65:8
    8 Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all.

Whatever is found inside the cluster of grapes is wine. Is that fermented grape juice?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You didn't answer the question (not surprisingly).

I don't see anywhere in God's Word that states one must have the means to test welches grape juice to gauge whether fermentation has begun to take place.

16. His Blood Spoke My Name

KJV Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

If we continue to ignore your pathetic logic and Bible twisting will you get off of your soap box?

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Prune juice would solve lots of problems in this thread.

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Like I said, in modern wine-making (not how they made new wine in the NT), they often kill the wild yeast and then add their own yeast because it produces a more consistent flavor, since their own yeast is a "known" variable.

This process is called "inoculated fermentation". You kill off the wild yeast (usually with sulfur dioxide). When the sulfur dioxide has worn off, you add your "known" yeast (usually saccharomyces cerevisiae, or a combination of strains). If you add it too soon, the sulfur dioxide will kill your known yeast.

Regardless, once the chemical has worn off, the juice WILL ferment, whether it's by your own yeast or yeast in the air.

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes. That's what new wine is.