1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much is Petrol/Gasoline in your area?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by baptistteacher, Sep 14, 2006.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Alberta has one of the cheapest prices across Canada. But as close as I can figure, upon converting liters to U.S. gallons, and the Canadian dollar to the American dollar, we pay about $3.81 per gallon. You guys have it pretty good.
    DHK

2. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Gas Cost

It was $2.45 gallon here in the panhandle of Florida

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I heard that a place nearby had it for $5.04 a gallon today!!

4. Pete

Pete New Member

Just had to convert $AU to $US, then gallons to litres.....So now have a ripper of a headache :( ;)

Got half a tank yesterday for something like $US3.39/gal.....

#24 Pete, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2006
  5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Our gas is expensive here, but one thing I liked was when the rest of the nation was being gouged because of Katrina, our prices remained stable. It's about $6.00 per gallon out in the bush, from what I hear. Milk is about $8.00.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I just filled up at $2.17.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmmm, some of you have some good prices!

It is $2.30 a gallon here, but I went up to the next county north today and they had it for $2.25.

It certainly is a relief! Gas is a major expenditure at our house. We could get by on less if we lived closer to his work but then our house payment would double or our live space shrink by half. What we save on housing every year more than pays for the gas.

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

$1.99/gal. in East Houston, by all of the refineries.

$2.25/gal. in Northwest Houston, by me.

No big hurricanes means cheap gas. Keep it coming. Three cheers for El Nino...hip, hip, hooray...hip, hip, hooray...hip, hip, hooray.

Next thing you know, there'll be peace in the Middle East, I'll win the Lottery, and Bush will win a 3rd term.:laugh:

9. ForYourGlory

ForYourGlory Member

In checking with ohiogasprices.com the cheepest price is in Columbus @ $1.96 a gallon.

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Last night we were still $2.85

11. gekko

gekko New Member

most of the time american gas prices work out to be 90cents canadian when you do the calculations.

gas here is about $1.159

sickening.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Was $2.99 week ago and dropped to $2.39 today. If anyone don't think that the Cheney and Bush and Republican leadership is not in control of gas prices they got their head in the sand. I will continue down until election and if Republicans hold house and senate it will shoot right back up.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I agree Bob. But, if democrats win, it will shoot right back up.

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I have never understood this thinking. Maybe I am just uneducated. Please explain to me exactly how a politition would drive the price, up or down, of a publicly traded commodity like Oil, Orange Juice, etc.

I am under the impression that commodity prices are set by demand of investors. I believe the the price is affected by stock brokers that want to buy commoditys = increasing the price or sell commoditys = lowering the price.

Please let me in on how this little conspiracy works. Does the pres call all of these brokers and tell them they have to buy oil today.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Oil plays both sides of the aisle. Theoretically, prices will help "their" candidate. (Also, speculation, which drives prices up or down, will affect prices depending upon candidates, etc.) There's no single reason.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity_Trade

Please read the above link and educate yourselfs. I know it is not as fun as believing in some wild consperacy. But it will save you from looking like a nut case to somebody who has done any reasearch at all about how commodities are traded.

Commodities traders buy futures of products like oil, wheat, copper, orange juice, etc. They buy futures (meaning they buy before they have a product) based on their educated guess of what the product will cost.

Take orange juice. Say orange juice is selling now at $1.00 and the trader thinks there is going to be a freeze in the weather. The trader thinks that alot of orange crop is going to be lost. Now he thinks because of that in 3 months orange juice is going to sell for $5.00 what does he do? He buys orange juice futures like crazy for $1.00 hoping to sell in three months at 5. Now if the freeze comes he makes alot of money. If the freeze does not come the orange juice sellers make alot of money. When the trader buys he drives the price of OJ up. If there is not a freeze then the price is up and the seller has alot of product to sell at the up price.

So if you are a trader buying OIL and you watch the news. Hurricane on the way, war in the middle east, Iran making threats. Oil is at $60 and you think it will rise to $90 what do you do? Buy oil and drive the price up. Now if the huricane is not so bad and Iran is just talk the oil company makes alot of money. Why because it is a publicly traded commodity. Welcome to the free market.

#36 DeeJay, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2006
  17. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I already know the conspiracy theory. I am looking for the exact way that the prices are driven up.

In other words HOW does Bush make the prices of a commodity rise. How does he make investers want to buy.

And another question. Why just oil. Do politions make the price of copper rise, how about wheat.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He can't even if he tried. Democrats will use any lie available to get their own in the white house.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

It is funny when I try to talk about how oil prices are really set the thread just sits there. When I present fact and ask for real facts in responce none of the consperacy theorists/Boosh haters post.

I guess it is just funner and easier to believe.

Even if there is no fact or evidence to back that up and the poster obviously has no idea how oil prices are really set. I am the one with my head in the sand. Why ......... dont know because Bob said so I guess.

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If Bush were to make a declaration that we are going to bomb all orange groves in Florida, then the price would rise. IOW, if the president does something that will directly (or even indirectly) affect the cost of something (usually by supply, but not limited to that), then he could affect it.

Now, do I think there is some great conspiracy? Probably not. But, if the oil companies see something that will behoove them to lower (or raise) prices, they're going to.

In the case of oil, the war in Iraq affected supply minimally, but world-wide demand was on the increase drastically. So, prices shot up. Now, there are things that are driving the prices down.

Can a president's policies affect oil prices? Certainly. Do they? Depends upon the circumstances. Is it some great conspiracy? Not in the broadest definition of the word.