1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How old are your parents?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Rippon, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd really like to know the ages of some of the oldest among the families of BB members.

My dad became 90 on Jan.21st.Yeah,he was born 1/21/21.He's not a Calvinist, which will come as a relief to many of you. (Even some Arminians live a long life contra my old thread of a few years ago.) He's been a Christian since his days as a navy man in WW2.He was with the so-called Plymouth Brethren for a number of decades.

My mom passed away into the presence of the Lord in 2004 at nearly 80 years of age.

I speak to my dad once a week on the phone. His memory isn't quite so sharp :"Whadda' teach in South Korea?"

My sister lives within 30 miles of his place and looks in on him.

I sent him a package of surprises which will arrive on Monday probably. I'm hoping it will bring happy tears to his eyes. One can't merely send a card to someone that age.

It would be funny if some of you have a mom or dad a bit older than my father. I could tell him he's just a kid by comparison. :)

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My dad is going to be 85 this summer. My mom would be 75 but she passed away 12 years ago at the age of 63 from breast cancer.

I'm blessed that my dad lives just 7 miles away so we talk regularly and I try to have him over for dinner once a week. I also try to send him home with food as much as I can since he lives alone. But he's still in his own house, still driving (and doing fine with that) so we're blessed.

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

My Dad will be 89 this August. Please pray for him - he is not a Christian yet. My mum died a few years back. My parents-in-law are 86 and 90, and both are Christians.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dead, Dead & Dead....all dead except my brother. Considering his mind set, he otta be.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My mom and dad have both passed away in to the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ

My father was born in 1929

My mother was born in 1930

I can't hardly wait to see them again!!!:thumbs:

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I ought to give this post to one of my children to answer, since all of you are so young! My father was born in 1902 and died in 1983. His story was that he became a believer and was baptized at 18, and soon thereafter felt a call to preach, but his father said "We aren't having no damn preacher in this family," and my dad backed off. Some years later he trained as a musician, and, by now married (my mother was born in 1906, died in 1992), got an offer to sing on a radio station some 100 miles from where they lived. This time it was his father in law who bellowed, "You aren't taking my little girl away from here," and so my dad backed off of that. He made his living as a US Post Office letter carrier.

Late in life he told me that story and said, "But maybe my life has had meaning after all. I have one son who is a preacher [that would be me] and another who is a musician [my brother teaches music at Southwestern Seminary]." Brings a tear to my eye every time I retell that.

OK, if you must know ... I am closing in on 73.

7. mets65

mets65 New Member

Well I'm extremely young by comparison. My mom is about to turn 50 and my dad is 49. My parents have been divorced since I was four. My step-dad is 42 but he has the heart and mind of a 55 year old, at least that's what I tell him.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You ARE young. Even *I* probably could be your mom! I'm 45 and my hubby is 50. I still feel like 16 though (except my back, my hips and my ankle). LOL

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    102 and 105.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My parents are in their late 50's. I followed their example and had my kids young like they did.

11. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daddy will be 86 this year. Between a few strokes and Alheimers we lost him about five years ago - the long goodbye. Mama is ageless. She's been gone from this earth three years this April.

12. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Both of my parents have passed away. Dad would be 96 in June and my Mom would be 94 in May.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My father, born in 1909, died in 1964 from his second heart attack.
    My mother, born in 1914, died in 2007 at the age of 92.

Reminds me of a story in the Wall Street Journal many years ago about a woman whom scientists had the "Methusalah gene."

Seven of her eight great-grandparents were still living. The running joke in the family is that the 8th gg-parent quit smoking at 92 and died of boredom at age 96.

And it also reminds me of a quote I read recently from someone who said "I'm going to live forever. So far, so good."

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should add a few things. Dad had six other siblings. His younger brother is the only other living one. My uncle is 88 and a half. I spoke to him on the phone this morning.

Dad looks his age and is bent over a bit. But still has all his original teeth. I've told him he appears a decade younger when he smiles [period] He has never had cancer or heart problems [period]He just had a regularly scheduled physical last week. A CAT scan is part of the work-up I guess. He said the results came back perfectly normal --no problems.

He still drives without glasses in the daylight hours.

[I don't know what's wrong with this computer.]

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dad died aged 69 yrs, he would be 80 this year. Mum is 78 and will be 79 this year.....she is still zooming about the world as she reckons she can be still when she is dead.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Whats wrong with your ankle this time, Ann?????!!!!!:type::laugh:

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

My folks are 73. Dad'll be 74 in June and mother in September.

My inlaws on the other hand are only in their mid 60's.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's an old injury. In 1986, I biked from Long Island to Maine and back. About 3 days from home, my ankle started hurting and by the time I got home, I couldn't walk and was biking with only one leg. I went to the doctor the next day and it seems that I partially tore my achilles tendon! Most days it's OK but then we get those storms and my ankle will then remind me of the good-old days and our wonderful bike trip to Maine. LOL

19. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My parents would be 103 this year if they were still alive.

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My dad died in 2004 at the age of 101. My mom is still complaining at the ripe old age of 76.