1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How old was Isaac?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 8, 2009.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

How old was Isaac when Abraham attempted to offer him as a sacrifice on the altar?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While Scripture doesn't say, he was old enough and strong enough to carry a full load of wood on his back to the place of sacrifice, and that over mountainous terrain. (Gen. 22:2-6)

Ed

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

From the knowledge I've gained from reading and studying the account----Isaac COULD NOT---repeat---COULD NOT have been a teenager--------'cause a teenage boy would have BALKED at carrying that load of wood!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Isaac WANTED TO GO---He "gave" himself to his father to do his father's will---a picture of the coming Messiah

But as far as how old----probably in his 20's or early 30's maybe---but don't quote me on that one

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have always thought that Isaac was very young (I have no idea why), but you bring up an excellent point about him going willingly. Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

Not necessarly. Though I don't think he was a 'young' teenager but was mostly likely an older teenager (16 to 19) but still not considered a man in the cultural sense of being accountable for himself seperate from his father. This age was typically from ages 20 to 25 depending on the culture which was when they could enter the military, civil, or religious services as a part of their society. Therefore he could still have been in his early 20's as well (and I don't think we would still be to far off the mark.

Remember also that these 'kids'/teenagers were doing work that many grown men in our day would 'BALK' at so carry this wood for a young man who was a Herdsmen his whole life was not that big a challange. Besides the carrying of wood was not of the whole way but apparently just a short (this being somewhat subjective) distance away from where the ass and two others were left while they continued to the place God desired.

#5 Allan, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I tend to think he was as old as Jesus was when He died.

7. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Ge 22:5 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

[SIZE=+2]THE JEWISH CULTURE - THE BAR MITZVAH CEREMONY[/SIZE]

Jewish culture and religion are date back to over 4000 years ago. There are many sacred customs and traditions that the Jewish people follow, one of which is a rite of manhood called Bar Mitzvah. Bar means 'son of' in old Aramaic and 'Mitzvah' means commandment or law. In this context, however 'Bar' means follower. So quite literally, it means follower of the commandments.

At 13 years of age, the boy becomes a man in the eyes of the synagogue. A 'man of duty' as implied in the name of the ceremony, a man capable of upholding law and who is now responsible for themselves. Gone are the care free days of childhood. The young man is now seen as an adult in the eyes of Jewish Law. There are privileges of all sorts that become available to the one who has had 'Bar Mitzvah'. One of these privileges is that they are now able to get up in front of everyone at temple and read from the Torah in services.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Abraham was pre-law, though...and Israel and it's customs had yet to be "invented" so to speak.

9. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Yes, but all those "inventions" were "rooted" in things much older than them. :thumbs:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed, but I don't think we can use that as evidence pertaining to how old he was. The fact he was bound would suggest he anticipated a struggle, and the fact it was symbolic of the Father sacrificing His Son, Jesus Christ leads me to believe he was a young man, not a boy. There was a huge age difference between Abraham and Isaac, hence the use of na'ar most likely referred to a young man and not an adolescent...which Jesus was when He was sacrificed.

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actaully this is not entirely true. Yes, he was considered a man in the eyes of the synagogue, but to what extent? To the extent that he was now accountable to make his own offerings for his sins and was also responsible for his knowledge and walk with God. Thus he was a man because he was now responsible for his actions and walk.

However, the Law stated that he was not permitted into civil, millitary, or religous duties until he was 20 years of age. (I believe the religious age was 25 but I have to look at that again to be sure). Thus he was considered a man culturally because he was now permitted to enter into service of/for the community.

12. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Good points, but no way to know for sure. I think between 12 and 25.

What is of interest to me in this is that this is the first time the word "worship" appears in the Bible and that Isaac understood the need for a blood sacrifice -- "Where's the lamb?"

You cannot worship without sacrifice, and it must be a blood sacrifice, just like the coats of skins for Adam and Eve in the Garden...

13. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

My point was I don't think Abraham would have referred to him as "LAD" if he had reached the age of "being considered a man".

Ge 22:5 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship,

Lad is an adjective for a "young person", still considered in "childhood".

14. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

The Hebrew is Strongs 5288, na‘ar

Here is how the word is translated in the AV, young man 76, servant 54, child 44, lad 33, young 15, children 7, youth 6, babe 1, boys 1, young 1; 238

ISBE says, "The age of Isaac at the time of this event is not stated, but the fact that he is able to carry the wood of the offering shows that he had probably attained his full growth." (as has already been noted in another post)

What is the benefit to continue debating the specifics of Isaaac's age when Scripture is less than specific?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The same as debating if whether the Browns will ever win a Super Bowl...fun :)

16. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Debating these issues to me is like playing Theological Chess! But if we are both reduced to Kings only, why continue to move? Let's start another game!