1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Safe Do You Feel Today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 9, 2014.

?
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. I still feel safe, but am more cautious than in the past

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I feel safe, but have concern for loved ones safety

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Nothing I do can change what will happen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. My home is no longer the bastion of safety, I once thought it to be.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. I feel safe, but do look for signs of danger when out in public

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  8. I have concerns with my children while at school

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. My views on personal safety explained in comments

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the past week, there have been two incidents of gun fire at places my wife, and I frequent when shopping! See link - http://blog.pe.com/news/2014/07/08/moreno-valley-gunfire-exchanged-in-walmart-parking-lot/

Last year while going onto a Big 5 Sporting Goods Store, gunfight broke out at the signal light on the corner. As I ducked for cover by my car, I was horrified to see the participants of one car get out and begin chasing those in another car that stopped at the light [it turned out to be road rage and two rival gangs]. They brought the shooting into the parking lot where I was now squeezed under my car, and it may have gotten worse a had the men not ran back to their cars at the sound of sirens!

As a person who is supposed to trust God for everything, I wondered if any of you feel as safe as you once did? Do you feel safe when it comes to your children and their children, and do you feel safe at church? While shopping, walking for exercise or with the dog, or at your local restaurant or movie theater?

#1 righteousdude2, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I feel nearly 100% safe in those situations. Out walking my little Jack Russell at the moment and the only thing I am afraid us is the mother swan getting her hackles up.

The last thing I fear is getting shot. There are advantages to living in a non-gun culture :)

#2 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there are. Here in China I feel ultra safe --much more so than in a number of places in America. People are concerned for my well-being too. They look out for me.

The only times I need to be extra cautious is on tjhe streets and sidewalks. Motorcycles come from all directions with no warning whatsoever. And they travel FAST.

But people are especially kind here. They are protective of me. I don't need to fear shootings. I have no fear of young men up to no good approaching me. It is just about 100% safe here.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I teach in one of the roughest areas of Dublin. I have been there 12 years and have never had any fear about going to work or even about my car being threatened.

I will admit that I am vaguely anxious when I meet a group of youth who have been drinking all night when I walk at 5.30 in the morning, but it is just anxiety about being hassled. I never have to fear being shot.

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

6. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crime isn't that high where I live, and statistics show that overall is been steadily going down since the 90's. But my dad taught me to be always be cautious.
    I miss my German Shepherd. Always felt safe waking around with her. She acted as a deterrent, and judging by how she reacted to people who hugged me (hugging is seen as a threatening action to dogs), she would have protected me if I did get attacked.

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't really have any fear motivating about with my daily activities but do use common sense in the process.

What concerns me is finding myself in the middle of a gun fight and I am only armed with a pencil. My wife and I both carried concealed for 10 years but then never renewed the license.

My other biggest fear is running upon some clown on his way to the planet Zehogisphat, the result of his last drug buy. Dem' boys crazy!!!

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guns are nothing more than tools. :rolleyes:

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thread. This is why we need to be out witnessing everyday and living for the Lord for we may join him any day or He may return to rapture us. How can you witness? Just get gospel tracts and place them on cars and give them to people. Live for the Lord so he will not be ashamed of you at his return. Are we perfect? No. But we can glorify Christ.

10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is that a dog?

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

A very little one :)

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    C4- Being afraid of getting shot WAS NOT the question.

Here is the question that was presented

Did you realize that the murder rate in Ireland has risen 66%. - One half of the murders were with handguns.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/murder-rate-rises-66pc-in-2014-as-20-killed-30244139.html

In 2011, there were 12,664 murders in the US. - 65% were killed by a firearm. That means that 4,081 people were murdered by a weapon other than a gun.

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

No reference to a wet noodle here.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Yeah. Twenty murders so far this year. Hardly enough to make me afraid. 14 murders in Dublin, a modern city of nearly 1.5 million infested with drug problems. Six murders among the remaining 3 million people.

And I clearly answered the question. Since when is it unacceptable to clarify?

The OP was all about gunfire. Something I haven't heard in twenty years.

#14 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 10, 2014
  15. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do, but I also employ a healthy dose of common sense. I enjoy cycling after dark, but I won't ride into an area where there is a history of violence, gun or otherwise. Not so much a problem here in my home town, but when I lived in Chicago, there were areas I always steered clear of, even during daylight.

#15 HeDied4U, Jul 10, 2014
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if those 20 people were afraid

Yes, the OP did discuss firearms - but the question did not specify.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Okay. I apologise for explaining myself in the light of the OP. Please forgive me. I only meant to explain one of the reasons I feel safe.

And yes, I know of most of these situations since there are so few and very few of them were totally innocent parties.

One of them was a guy in our town who had been involved in terrorising a local who finally had enough.

I guess I can say this since it didn't involve a gun?

#17 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 10, 2014
  18. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

There was a murder at a local hospital yesterday. For our little corner of the country that is quite unsettling :(

19. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That must have shocked your community and scared the patients at the hospital, Following-Him!

Most of the crime in my area has to do with drugs--one druggie killing another one, or a meth head stealing something to support his habit. I feel safe enough at home as the dogs alert me to any unexpected company or "critters" outside.

Right now we have a problem with a big coyote population. It's getting to where you see them dead (and sometimes ALIVE) at the sides of the interstate. I'm careful at night taking the dogs outside, as coyotes will snatch small house pets.

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.