1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Safe Do You Feel Today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 9, 2014.

?
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. I still feel safe, but am more cautious than in the past

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I feel safe, but have concern for loved ones safety

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Nothing I do can change what will happen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. My home is no longer the bastion of safety, I once thought it to be.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. I feel safe, but do look for signs of danger when out in public

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  8. I have concerns with my children while at school

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. My views on personal safety explained in comments

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go again ...

Seriously? My example was personal and though it covered gunfire, the question dows not speak about your fear of being shot! I appreciate your comment, and it was great to hear how safe Ireland is. But, I still say, the question was, do you feel as safe as you once did! Forget the example. It was merely an example, but, it seemed to have some influence on your response, so I understand, but, am tired of people reading into posts what they want it to say!

How safe is it really in Ireland? Do you not have concerns about terrorism?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is a discussion board. If all you want is a yes or no answer this is not the place to post it. If you read my original reply I said 'Yes, I feel nearly 100 percent safe.

One of the reasons I feel safe is because I don't live in a gun crazed society, though there are many other reasons.

This a discussion board. We discuss - we don't insist on simple yes or no answers - that would not be a discussion. If you don't want discussion about polls simply say - "No discussion - just answer the poll.' Otherwise I will reply with the reasons behind my feelings.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Absolutely no fears about terrorism or violent crime. I don't fear physical attack even in the worst parts of Dublin. When I go for a walk I am not afraid of being mugged.

And for the third (or fourth) time - I do feel safe - yes.

And I am not going to be silenced into not saying why, especially with the comments in your OP. I am totally unafraid of being caught in the kind of situation you described.

4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, you made your point!

.... take a deep breath of the fresh, non polluted Irish countryside air, and try not to get so huffy! I apologize for making you angry. That was not my intent!

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen:thumbs:

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm not sure Ireland to the US is apples to apples. Crime goes up with increased urbanization, IRRC. Is Ireland as urbanized as the US? Are the same percentages of people in gangs, or below the poverty line, or on drugs? What about police corruption, have police under represented numbers to drive down crime rates (Like here in MD)? On and on we could list things that could skew this one way or another. That's really why comparing countries may give us a general idea but in the end any conclusions should be taken with a grain of salt.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember back when the Protestants and Catholics were at the height of their killing each other. The local Baltimore station here reported that year there were more murders in Baltimore than in all of Northern Ireland.

Kind of a startling fact.

9. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm shocked

/Sarcasm

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Our rate is that low and the vast majority of the police force (An Garda Siochana) are not armed and there are far too few Gardai.

Drugs are a big problem in all of the cities and most major towns.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why I gave the rate - as opposed to raw numbers
    Yes, you are correct that urban areas will have a higher rate- that is shown in the stats of my link.

And yes - a grain of salt is worth considering - as liars figure and figures never lie -
    Bottom line

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    9 more shootings in 5 days, here in LA!

That's right .... 9 more shootings that made the late news cast! One was an innocent father driving in the truck cab with his brother and their two sons. He was a passenger, and killed on the freeway in a senseless shooting that wasn't even gang related!

Another where a tenant argued with his 82-year-old landlord, shot the man, chased his sister, age 59, down the street and while she begged, he shot and killed her. A 22-year-old neighbor came out to help the sister of the landlord and was killed by the angry tenant too!

LA may not be as bad a Chi-town, but it has to be close!

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is true that the US has a very high rate of gun violence. But if you look at all crimes of violence, not just gun violence, you will note that Great Britain has a violent crime rate roughly 5 time higher than the US.

Also, according to the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, if we remove the 4 cities with the strictest gun control laws, and, coincidentally (?) the highest incidence of gun violence, we note the rates for the US drop below those of most other industrialized countries.

The CDC report gives us a hint at what is going on in the US, “Overall crime rates have declined in the past decade, and violent crimes, including homicides specifically, have declined in the past five years.” Gun sales in the same period have increased dramatically. That leads us to only one logical conclusion: Guns save lives.

Possibly the most significant statement in the report refers to the defensive use of firearms by law-abiding citizens. In regards to this, the report states “Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals.”

Perhaps more importantly, this report reveals that armed civilians are more likely to survive an attack than those who do not have a firearm: “Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was “used“ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”

C4, I am sorry, but I would rather live in a country with a "gun culture" and actually BE safe, than live in a country without a "gun culture" and only have a false sense of FEELING safe. :)

And, in the interest of full disclosure, I am part of that "gun culture." I never leave my home without my pistol concealed on my right hip. I even carry in church. (After all, this IS Texas!) :D

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead gun locker. :smilewinkgrin: