1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Should a Preacher Preach?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by PreachTony, Jan 21, 2015.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I am sorry but that is not of the Holy Spirit. The message may be but the "huh" is nothing but a learned technique that some think is a requirement for good preaching. More so, it verges on being a hypnotic form of manipulation.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it annoying and insincere.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It is as fake as fake can be. They only do this because it is expected by unlearned people.

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Thank you, sag. I will go and tell my church and all the churches in my area that we are nothing more than fakes and manipulators, and that the lay-members are simply too stupid to know any better, because we don't preach the way you think is right.

I try to stay calm and civil, but who are you to tell me how I am going to react when the Spirit comes on the scene? Who are you to question my sincerity, or the sincerity of any preacher, just because you don't like a certain form.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Most people around here in WV/KY ascribe hardshell doctrine to disallowing women cutting their hair and wearing pants....

6. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Yeah, I'm rather quickly finding out that my area's definition of "hardshell" is quite different than, basically, everyone else's definition. :BangHead:

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

True story...I was there at the church when Brother Jimmy Hall preached that sermon. He is in my home association, Indian Bottom Association of ORB's.

FYI, this was preached at Little Jewel in Ashland, Ky and not Little Rosa in McDowell, Ky. The locals pronounce it Mack-dowell, btw...

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The thing that annoys me the most is all the 'amen' in a sermon, amen? :smilewinkgrin:

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do like a few though.....

What I don't like is hand clapping....

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any idea why "Little" is common in the names of those kinds of churches?

I've inquired here about "Greater" among Black Baptists (Greater Mount Carmel, Greater New Zion, etc.) and no one really knew what it signified.

11. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I played part of that sermon for my Pastor after our Bible Study Wednesday night. We both agreed that it was the kind of old-style preaching that reminded us of the old days. I really enjoyed it. Even though I could tell that I don't agree with everything Brother Hall believes, I could tell the Spirit was definitely in his preaching.

Regardless what some people say, there is nothing fake about a man preaching that way. I've grown up in it and sat under it for my entire life.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm - I don't think my husband obeys any of those "rules". LOL

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

There is no Biblical precedence as this being a sign of the Holy Spirit. Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In fairness, I have noticed some who go out of their way to "hack" as they preach, and that bothers me. But I think that someone eons ago made that sound when they caught their breath and others thought it sounded good, so they did it...

Anutter true story. I worked with a Brother who is pastor of a FWB church. He had a Brother come and preach for their church one sunday morning. Before service, he noticed that Brother standing in front of a mirror(in the back of the church). He asked him what he was doing, and he stated he was practicing his "hack".....

15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No doubt some people fake it. Some people fake shouting. Others fake holding up a hand. They do it just to be seen of others. I can only speak to my experience, and my experience has shown me a bunch of men who preached that way that, ostensibly, completely in the Spirit and not faking it.

If we hold only to what the scripture says, then there is a lot of stuff we have to eradicate from the churches. I don't recall any scripture that says a church should have a pulpit. Nor do I recall any scripture that says men have to wear a suit and women have to wear a dress. Yet we do all those things.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Apples and Oranges

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I clicked on the link and moved the time to about the 7 minute mark. I thought there was a dog barking in the service! This is crazy! I wouldn't last long in that service.

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No one said that style is for everyone. I've heard men get in the stand and never raise their voice above a talking voice, never move, never make any hand motions, read monotone from the scripture and then speak monotone on what they read, and then people would say to me that it was great, spirit-filled preaching, but I got nothing out of it.

We each have our own preferences when it comes to preaching and teaching. Some people cannot get over the preacher moving, and they let that stop them from hearing the words being preached. In my example above, I allowed the monotone style to hinder me from taking in all I could have taken in.

We might have different preferences, but to openly mock someone else's preference, or to call it out as fake or un-spiritual or un-biblical seems to me to cross a line.

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be true to who you are, authentic. Example, If you're not good at telling jokes, don't. When you are mimicking others, people pick up on it.

Watch yourself on video, it is especially helpful.

Relax. I've seen some people get so worked up before preaching they end up verbally vomiting when they stand to preach, it comes out at 100 mph with zero sticking power.

Vary the tempo and inflection of your delivery, but avoid shouting every other sentence. It gets old and wears out the listener.

I am big proponent of using a good microphone. Probably because my mom is very hard of hearing and becomes frustrated when she is supposed to hear something but can't. I've gone to using an ear worn mic because of how much better the amplification is. This also helps with the shouting problem.

Finally, moving around is fine, but racing around the platform is an excercise in futility in my opinion. Also, opens to door to a plethora of preacher fails. It doesn't matter how great your sermon is, if you slip, stumble or fall, that is all people will remember.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    GTC - excellent advice.
    I will mention that over the years I have picked up a few mannerism of pastors I have respected from my past.

As far as microphones - Normally I don't use them, as most of the times I have preached have been in small buildings. I suppose in a large auditorium , I wouldn't mind. But then again I have a deep voice that carries well.