1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How should one pray for himself or herself as a believer?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

Let me give some questions.

How should a husband pray for himself based on Bible verses or principes?

How should a wife pray for herself based on Bible verses or principles?

How should a single person, regardless of martial status, regardless of age, pray for himself or herself?.

How would God the Father view my written or spoken prayers for myself?

I am interested in your comments or suggestions.
    I need to do praying not just for myself but obviously for others too.

Thanks for your input. mr. messy

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I believe there isn't a set way to pray. I just talk to God and Jesus like I would anyone else. God is my father and Jesus is my best friend. It makes praying a lot easier for me this way. When I am sad, happy, bored, excited, etc... I talk to them and say how I feel. I don't base it on anything but my feelings at that moment. I guess I am very informal with my prayers and that might seem odd too some, but it's working for me!

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I pray many different things, but my primary daily prayer ever since I got saved has been for God to teach me His truths and to protect me from error.

[​IMG]

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

While our desires should be aligned to the will of God, I believe we also ought to pray with confidence in the name of Jesus. He "gave us permission" to pray big (John 14:13-14) and also that we could be confident in His providence (Hebrews 4:16).

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

What God views is the state of your heart towards Him. He is not going to turn you away because you call on Him as God rather than Yahweh or whatever name you use to call on Him.

With Prayer, God just wants to hear from you period. He loves you more than you can ever imagine, and He wants to be a part of your life. Prayer is our fellowship with God, and something that we could all do with alot more of.

6. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

What a nice thought for today.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hello Mr. Messy. I believe we need to approach the Father through Jesus Christ, as that is the only way that we today can approach the Father. We are in Christ Jesus, and being in His Body makes this possible. I usually pray to Jesus, as He makes intercession for us, and the Holy Spirit takes what is in our heart and unscrambles it for presentation.

The nation of Israel, His people that have land that God has promised and will give to them, could approach the Father directly, as He dealt directly with them. But they all had to keep their distance, and were told to fear Him. The Jew of course, and Gentile’s (but evidently few did) could communicate with God by prayer. But God today does not deal directly with the Jew or the Gentile, but we are able to communicate with Him, the Father going through and in Christ Jesus.

This tells me we can get up very close to the Father now, as Christ Jesus is sitting there right next to Him. But we are to stand in awe of both the Son and the Father. Fear is what brings us to God, and not love. When we find out how much He loves us, we then know He first loved us, and we in turn then love Him, and His beloved Son that died for all that will accept the gift.

I believe Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior, and in wonder and admiration; fear, and reverence pray and go to the Father in Christ, as God sees Christ and not us. I believe Romans 8:26-28 gives us information to solve this problem. ”Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. 28. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

I believe we are to pray short and to the point prayers, numerous times daily. In Matthew 6:5,6 and 7 Jesus says we are not to be hypocrites praying long, chanting, or repetitious prayers in our churches or in public. For our own personal talk with Him we are to do it alone, in the home, the car, hotel, or where ever we may be. If for a specific person, or persons mention them by name, but not necessary unless there is a specific need for that one. Pray and ask in the best way that you can for whatever is on your heart, and always ending with Thy will be done, knowing that you have asked and if what you prayed for does not happen then it wasn’t His Will, and accept it as that, knowing He knows best. In my general prayer I thank Him for His guidance, direction, and protecting me, my family, loved ones, and those that are His, and His will be done.

We are in the Body of Christ, and we could not be if we had sin in our Spirit or Soul. He is righteous, so we are made righteous in Him. I don’t believe we should pray “forgive me of my sins, or a specific sin” as I see that as telling Him, He after all did not take every sin onto Himself at the Cross.

Of interest His Word tells us Jesus instructs His people, Israel they can ask, and it will be done. But we find today this is not so for any. We pray, and if it is His Will, then it will be done. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.