1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How specific can a ministry calling be?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Gayla, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Does God call some one to a specific ministry?

Recently heard a sermon where the preacher said that God does not call some one specifically to music, or to sing. He may give you the talent, but not call you specifically to music.

The same man a few weeks later was talking about everyone's service to the Lord in church and implied that one can be called to be the janitor.

What do y'all think?

2. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Ephesians 4:1

Well, we, as New Testament church people are to "walk worthy of the vocation wherein we are called". So, I guess it is possible and probable to hear the call of God on our lives to a particulare ministry.

Good question. I've heard preachers say that too and I am not convinced of that. Maybe I am just plain hopeful, but I would like to think God had SPECIFIC plans for me. I believe that is what Scripture teaches in the above verse and Psalm 37:24 "A steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord". I would like to think God has SPECIFIC steps he has called me to follow in. I am just simply going to believe God does.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

And this particular "ministry" doesn't necessarily mean a vocational calling to serve on a church staff either.

I believe God calls people to all sorts of vocations, both within and outside of a church position. Now, granted, there are those vocations that He probably DOESN'T call people to (e.g., drug dealer, stripper, etc.), but any profession that's what I call "biblically legitimate" needs "full-time" Christians.

And another thing that is a pet peeve of mine:

Why is it that preachers seem to emphasize some one who may be gifted musically as one for which that preacher "rejoices to see them use their talents for the Lord"? It irks me sometimes to think that these people usually wind up getting the public praise.

Wouldn't it be great sometime for the preacher to publically praise the harried nursery workers, sound system personnel, custodial staff (etc.) as well? :thumbs: :thumbs:

[Exit soap box ........]

4. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

YOu're right. How about the Spirit filled factory worker, or railroader or construction hand that is reaching more of the same more than a "professional clergy" (Hack, gag, yarp) could ever do it? That is not to say that all full time preachers are hirelings, but I feel comfortable saying many, many have lost touch with what it is to EARN a living.:praise:

5. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Thanks Prime and ktn!

Anybody else wanna chime in?

#5 Gayla, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  6. rbell

rbell Active Member

one of my jobs as a minister?

To equip others for ministry.

IOW, to work myself out of a job, and begin anew with another...

7. jesnipes

jesnipes New Member

I believe the Scriptures are clear. Acts 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.Notice that the Holy Spirit said "the work" (the indicates a specific work) not "a work" (general, non-specific)

8. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I agree, that God may call us to specific work, but I think we need to be careful, especially how we apply the calling to a specific work to our modern ideas of vocational ministry.

For several years I felt called as a youth pastor. I was very happy to serve this way and never saw it as a way to some day "step up" to be a pastor. However God has now called me to be a pastor. I do not feel that this current calling negates in anyway the calling I had when I served two churches as youth pastor. I did however meet a pastor who told me that I could not have been called to one then the other becuase God only calls to a specific work.

I think if we are going to acknowledge that God calls us to a specific work, He may very well have a specific time frame for that work.

9. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I began in the ministry by submitting to God's calling as a music minister/worship leader. I'm convinced that that was God's plan for my life at that time. Now I am a pastor. It's not that I misunderstood His calling when I was in music. He simply has called me to another area of minstry.

Where I have a problem is when someone believes that God is calling them to a ministry that, Biblically, they are not qualified to do. For instance, I had a woman tell me the other day that God called her to be the pastor of a church. I'm just not convinced that the role of the pastor should be filled by a woman. I am not anti-ladies! I'm married to one and have 4 daughters. But you can't convince me by scripture that women are to be the pastors of churches.

10. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

It is very easy for someone to mistake a feeling or a desire as a calling. In fact, the term "calling" can be used to justify a whole range of actions. I think a calling should be confirmed by various sources: the church, scripture, etc.

In my own life, my calling to be a pastor was spoken to me by the Holy Spirit but confirmed through the advice of fellow ministers, scriptural qualifications for a pastor, and the vote of a church. Not a full-proof plan, but I think we can hear God through all those sources.