1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How technical is God and His Word?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alcott, Nov 29, 2018.

1. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My comments were general and generally apply. Going to specific examples doesn't change them one whit. The questions you ask are just the sort of questions that must be asked and deliberated in context.

I would caution that neither legalism nor license follow the law of the Spirit of life in Christ that sets free from the law of sin and death, but without bothering to argue the point. I rather doubt I'm up to arguing the point with either type. Instead I would suggest that such are badly misreading Scripture, generally misunderstanding the Spirit, and will end up missing out altogether.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    far as measurements go, a cubit or handbreadth will be different among different people. saul, as the tallest Israeli at his time, woulda naturally had a longer cubit than almost any other Israeli.

But weights and liquid measures were well-established. God warned several times about using dishonest measurements.

I believe all Scripture is literal, except where it's clearly symbolic, such as the visions shown to Daniel and to John in the Revelation, in which cases, the angel showing the visions explained their literal meanings. And Jesus explained the meaning of "born again".

A mark of many cults, sects, & other quasi/pseudo-Christian gangs is to reduce many Scriptures to symbolism so htey cam make Scripture fit their doctrines. Let us not fall into that habit!

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Far from it.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With that answer, I can't tell whether you're saying the Word is far from 'technical or even necessarily true,' or you're saying it's far from not being so.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. I'm saying I'm far from saying what you asked I was saying.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, that should mean the Word is 'technical or even necessarily true.' Answer the questions, then, about the civil law, in particular the speed limit. Is a Christian living in sin if he 'regularly' breaks the speed limit [based on Romans 13]. And how far below the limit should a Christian drive to be technically certain he is not breaking it?

And then, if a Christian is a wage earner, is he stealing if he ever, at any time other than which is allowed, is having conversation which slows him down, putting food or drink in his mouth, writing his phone number to give to a coworker...?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real issue isn't all these technicalities. There's something known as the spirit of the law.

Did Ahimelech sin by giving David and his men the shewbread from the table which only the priests could eat lawfully? Technically yes, but according to love, which is the fulfillment of the law, no. As if God desired sacrifice above mercy to the starving and persecuted righteous.

"I will have mercy and not sacrifice."

But, I will answer each technicality. The reason for the speed limit. Safety. Are you loving your neighbor by endangering him in the public right of ways? It's not about two or three miles above or below the posted limit, and cops know that. Keep it at about that speed. Unless your child is choking to death in the back seat and you need to get the ER . . .

About the workplace. In my 28 years of working for the man, I've never been called down because I stopped for a second to have a personal word with someone.

When harvesting, some grain would fall to the ground. It's inevitable. God's command was that which fell to the ground was the patrimony of the poor. And they could come in and glean, which is much harder work than cutting and loading sheaves. They were also commanded to leave the corners of their fields standing for the poor.

The point is, you can't treat people like machines. Relationships with one's coworkers is part of the job.

#27 Aaron, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, where God is definite, we can trust Him. "Evening and morning were the first day."

God made Adam from the dust of the ground. He made Eve from one of Adam's ribs.

Light and plants came into being before the sun and the stars.

Israel marched around Jericho for 7 days.

Six days one labors. Evening and morning make a day. The seventh day one rests.

God said the ark was to measure 50 cubits by 300 by 30. But in the end, because of human limitations, it may have differed by a handbreadth. (But to be watertight, the workmanship couldn't have been too sloppy.)

God prescribed 60 posts for the court of the tabernacle, 48 boards, 96 sockets--not 59 or 61, 47 or 49, 95 or 97.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That one is superseded in the New Testament-- Romans 14:5-6; Colossians 2:16.

And one came up in our church service this morning. We had a Baby Dedication, in which a few babies with the families were introduced, and the senior pastor did some scripture reading and praying individually for the new folks and their families. And he posed a question in which the parents were expected to respond, "I will." And there was one for the congregation-- something like "Will you, as their brothers and sisters in Christ, do everything in your power to help these parents as they do their best to bring up these children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord?--if so, say 'I will.'"

"..in your power..."?? I didn't say "I will" because I know I'm not going to do everything "in my power" to do that, nor are even their closest friends. If I saw everything casually I may have made that response, too. Actually the overall response very low and 'half-hearted' at best, so I get the idea that almost everyone knows better than to take the whole thing really seriously-- maybe like "marriage vows" today. Perhaps the key is Jesus said not only not to swear, "But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil [Matthew 5:37, italics mine]. "Everything in your power..." is more than a simple Yes to asking whether we intend to help. At least technically it is. But was Jesus' command here technical or not?

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're pretty much called to do all in our power to help each other in the faith, anyway.

Where the Scriptures are technical, they are technically accurate. Sometimes the Scriptures give us generalities. But the generalities are no less truth.

These are things you have to work out for yourself. God speed. :)

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, it's generally true that we keep within regulations, and we are generally faithful in doing what we guarantee we will do all the time. Gotta admit, it makes living a Christian life easier.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhp! Can you read?

Sometimes the Scriptures give us generalities.

And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children.

Many times it gives us absolutes.

Thou shalt not covet.

Stop confusing the two.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must be just guessing at everything you post.

Forbidding to covet is an absolute? Paul instructed the Corinthians to covet prophecy and the greater gifts [I Corinthians 12, 14].[/QUOTE]

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know what I mean. (Well, maybe you don't.) Anyway, work until you can toe that line.

Jesus gives me rest.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I don't if absolute doesn't mean absolute.