1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How the Holy Spirit Speaks

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hark, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

That underlined portion of the above scripture means the Holy Spirit cannot speak of His own volition, but say whatever He hears.

When Jesus was on earth, the Holy Spirit spoke for the Father.

Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Now that Jesus is in Heaven as all power has been given unto Him in heaven and in earth.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.....20....and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The Holy Spirit speaks for the Good Shepherd now as the Son guides us through the Holy Spirit within us as all the words of the Father are now the Son's.

John 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

So God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips to speak unto the people; not back to God.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Therefore the Holy Spirit cannot utter His own intercessions out loud at all which is why there is necessity for Another to know the mind of the Spirit to make the intercessions of the Spirit's known to the Father Whom is the Lord Jesus Christ; the One that also searches our hearts.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. KJV

This is why the Holy Spirit cannot make His own intercessions known by Himself because He can only speak what He hears. That is why His intercessions are unspeakable and why Another is needed to know the mind of the Spirit to make the Spirit's intercessions known to the Father.

This is also in according to the will of the Father because there is only one Mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, which is why and how the Father knows before we ask anything in prayer.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

This is shared for any believer to have His words for discernment that the Holy Spirit will not use God's gift of tongues as a form of a prayer language, because He can't speak for Himself, but can only speak what He hears. From being the Spirit of the Father to now being the Spirit of Christ, He cannot be the Spirit of the Spirit. He speaks for Christ now.

So Christ speaks through the Holy Spirit in us, using God's gift of tongues to speak unto the foreigners, and thus why Christ will not use God's gift of tongues to "pray" back to Himself through the Holy Spirit in us, especially when He knows everything before we ask by searching our hearts and knowing the mind of the Spirit which is why and how the Father knows everything before we ask.

Seek edification from the written word in the KJV and pray normally so that you know what you had prayed for to give the Father genuine thanks in Jesus's name for answered prayers, because that is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The writer to the Hebrews says that the Holy Spirit 'says' (3:7), 'indicates' (9:8) and 'witnesses to us' (10:15). How does He do that? Check it out. Through the Scriptures in each case.

It is also interesting to note that the Greek words Charisma pneumatikon, 'spiritual gift' only occur together once in the whole of the New Testament, and it's not where you might think they are, in 1 Cor. 12 or 14, in Eph. 4 or in John 13-17. Where are they then, Martin? Well I'll tell you. They're in Romans 1:11 where no one expects to find them, and if you follow the train of thought down to verse 15, you'll see that the spiritual gift that Paul had in mind to 'establish' the Roman Christian was the preaching of the Gospel.

God speaks to us authoritatively in the Bible, always in the Bible, everywhere in the Bible...........and only in the Bible.

#2 Martin Marprelate, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you believe in the Trinity, Hark? That is, that God is three persons but one God: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, all three persons being co-equal, co-existent, co-eternal, but one God.
    The Holy Spirit is God. There is nothing that HE, (God) cannot do.
    Jesus is God. Jesus always did have all power in heaven and in earth, does have all power and in earth, and always will have all power in heaven and in earth. He is God. He created the heavens and the earth.

Are you Oneness Pentecostal?
    Christ speaks through the Word of God.
    Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Are you saying that man is greater than God?
    You certainly are limiting God saying that God cannot do this or that. Here you say that God (the Holy Spirit) cannot speak His own intercessions out loud!! How can you limit God or even suggest that you can limit God that Almighty in any way!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for sharing, but let's go over those references of yours with Jesus as our Good Shepherd again.

Hebrews 3:7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,

The Holy Ghost did not say "hear my voice", but "hear his voice", and so tying in with John 16:13 about "how" the Holy Spirit speaks in that He is not speaking for Himself, but for Jesus as He prophesied that He will do in John 16:14:1-26 & John 16:13-15.

We see this again in Hebrews 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

So the Holy Ghost saying what the Lord said ties in on "how" the Holy Spirit witnesses to us.

Hebrews 9:8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:

This is the Holy Ghost witnessing again, but it should be with the understanding on how the Holy Ghost is witnessing; not He, Himself, as if He is speaking on His own accord, but for another which is why "itself" is used sometimes in the KJV whereas other places used the proper pronoun "He" or "Him" in referring to the Holy Ghost. "Itself" is the proper pronoun because the Holy Spirit is a means by which Another, that is to say the Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ, speaks to us, and through us unto others.

Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Reading this in context, I believe Paul is just referring that spiritual gift to them of bearing fruit as he had hoped that they would so the same for him. They were already saved by the gospel preached as Paul testified of their faith in the beginning of this in context, and so this was why I believe Paul was referring this spiritual gift about bearing fruit.

Romans 11:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; 12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. 13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.....20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I believe this is why the Holy Spirit is serving now as the Spirit of Christ.

The Holy Spirit cannot stop by speaking for Himself as if the Holy Spirit can become the Spirit of the Spirit. He just doesn't speak in that way.

He has His own intercessions which is why "alaletos" means unspeakable and unutterable in Romans 8:26, because He cannot speak them or utter them in making them known. The Greek word " stenagmos" means a sigh or groaning which is what is not being uttered, and thus meaning no sound at all. This is why "Another" is needed in knowing the mind of the Spirit in Romans 8:27 as it is the will of God for the man, Christ Jesus, to be the only Mediator between God the Father and man. 1 Timothy 2:5 Hebrews 7:25 as the Son is the One that searches our hearts in Hebrews 4:12-16 in identifying Who that "he" is in Romans 8:27 of the KJV.

Some modern Bibles commit a grammatical error by switching out the "he" with "the Spirit", but all modern Bibles are in error for switching out "itself" with "Himself" since the Holy Spirit cannot make His unspeakable intercessions known by Himself as He does need Jesus knowing the mind of the Spirit to make His intercessions known to the Father.

Romans 8:Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

This is important because saved believers are believing every spirit coming over them later on in life apart from the time they were saved bringing tongues with it as being of God, but this tongue is not God's gift of tongues of other men's lips to speak unto the people but vain and profane babblings; complete nonsense. It is real but of the devil; Isaiah 8:19 which is why believers are to test the spirits and the tongues they bring because it can be the spirit of error found in the world; 1 John 4:1-6 They should know it is not of Him when they testify of receiving the Holy Ghost"again" in order to get that tongue ( 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 ) , even though, in hypocrisey, they say that the Holy Ghost was already in them; 1 Timothy 4:1-2 .

Of course, some will change their testimony because of that moment when they got tongues was when they were saved, thus the false teaching of "if you do not speak in tongues, you do not have the Holy Spirit, and thus you are not saved" comes from.

Then you have others sharing the exact same experience of what they claim was the Holy Spirit coming over them "again" later on in life but say that was God calling them into the ministry, and so there again, believers are preaching another Holy Spirit to receive by the sign of tongues when 1 Corinthians 14:20-22 testifies that God will not use tongues as a sign for believers, and in both apostate incidences, that tongue comes without interpretation when Paul plainly stated that tongues were of other men's lips for God to speak unto the people.

So understanding how the Holy Spirit speaks and how He will not speak is for discerning tongues that comes with no interpretation as not of Him as this is for keeping the faith which is the good fight because there is no receiving the Holy Spirit "again" after a sign of tongues or any other sensational sign in the flesh. 2 Corinthians 13:5

Thanks again for sharing.

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

5. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for participating and sharing.

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

I believe in the Triune God, but believers have been misapplying that doctrine at the expense of the truths in the scripture as kept in the KJV.

There is something that none of the Person of the Triune God can do and that is to bear witness of Himself in according to His word. John 5:31

In order for any witness to be true, there has to be two other witnesses; John 8:17 This is why 1 John 5:7 belongs in the original scripture in order for God's witness to be greater than man's witness in context of 1 John 5:6-9.

That is why the Father spoke from Heaven and the Spirit had borne testimony by alighting on the Son at His water baptism to make God's witness from Heaven true of His Son being God in Matthew 3:15-17. This event was the fulfillment of the prophesy in Isaiah 48:16-17 of the Lord God and His Spirit sending God the Redeemer.

So I believe in the Triune God, but I also believe scriptures in how the Holy Spirit will speak and NOT speak. John 16:13-15

For when Jesus was on earth which was after His resurrection and ascension to the Father, yes. He said that to testify that God the Father gave Him all power in being our Good Shepherd and soon to be King of kings. It is also tying in with the fact that now Jesus will answer prayers as promised earlier ( John 14:13-14 ) so that the Father will be glorified in the Son.

That means something else about the Holy Spirit; He cannot answer prayers so there is no praying to the Holy Spirit. He assists in the process of answering prayers, but that glory of answering prayers and speaking through us belongs to the Son ( John 16:13-14 ).

This is why many believers have gone astray when they pray to the Holy Spirit to come and fall on them in giving them a sign of tongues or any other sensational sign in the flesh. Scriptures says that the Holy Spirit is not the way to come to the Father by: John 14:6 And for going around the Son like that, saved believers may wind up following a stranger's voice, by getting tongues without interpretation; John 10:1-5

If you look at what the Holy Spirit sent to do and that is to bear witness of the Son; John 15:26 How can He do that except through us ( John 15:27 ) ?

That includes worship. The Holy Spirit will not lead the believers to testify of Himself to glorify Himself because He can't. Scripture testify that He will lead the believers to testify of the Son to glorify the Son and by Him, God the Father as well. John 13:31-32 & Philippians 2:5-13

This is why in 1994, the "holy laughter" movement was nationwide in USA as happening across Protestant and Catholic denomenations as it was no longer a streamlined Pentecostal/Charismatic event, because churches have broadened the way in the worship places where many houses fell. Matthew 7:13-16 & Matthew 7:24-27 How does a church avoid that? By narrowing the way back to the Son; Luke 13:24

The answer then is to acknowledge scripture of what the Holy Spirit is sent to do and that is to honor the Son in worship and by doing so honor the Father. That is the standard of judgment over every believer. John 5:22-23

And yes, I know that the Son of God was here on earth before His incarnation as He was the God that men had seen.

No. Far from it, thanks to Jesus as my Good Shepherd.

Yes... when Jesus was on earth, He spoke the words of the Father to us. And even though He is at the right hand of God the Father now, He still has His words in giving to us but as our Good Shepherd: John 16:13-15 .

This is why all power is given unto the Son as He makes intercessions for us in searching our hearts which is how and why the Father knows before we ask anything in prayer ( Matthew 6:7-8 ) .

Paul testifying proves how the Lord Jesus Christ is the One speaking to us through the Holy Spirit unto the people in foreign languages.

It is all about how the Holy Spirit will speak and not speak in being a true Witness. John the Baptist said this that he had to decrease so that He may increase in John 3:30 . John 7:18 testifies on how man is to witness and not witness also.

If our singular witness to be true unto others in testimony as well as in worship, John 8:17, then it has to match the witness of the Holy Spirit's in testifying of the Son to glorify the Son, thereby honoring the Father by honoring the Son.

God is glorified in the Son ( John 13:31-32 ) That is why all invitations points to the Son in coming to God the Father in anything; fellowship, prayer, or worship. John 14:6 again, because Jesus meant it as it is the will of the Father to do.

If you consider the American Indians that dance and chant for the "Great Spirit" to come that gives them that supernatural phenomenon of being drunk which was why they took to alcohol because it gave that same effect, then how can God call them or other sinners away from "spirit" worship unless the way to God the Father is truly narrow even in worship so as to keep out seducing spirits that try to come in taking the spotlight off of the Son and His words for signs and lying wonders?

Scripture testifies that the real indwelling Holy Spirit will keep that spotlight on the Son to glorify Him and by Him, God the Father as that IS what the Holy Spirit will be doing in leading us to do the same in worship.

It was man that broadened the way in the worship place, glossing over the will of the Father in how He wants us to come to Him as if invitations has been given to come to the Holy Spirit where none was given.

Jesus is the Bridegroom. The Spirit is saying "Come" to the Bridegroom.

If Protestant churches had narrowed that focus in worship to be on the Son as led by the indwelling Holy Spirit & scripture to do, they may not have been so easily misled by visiting seducing spirits of the "holy laughter" movement in 1994.

Thanks again for participating and sharing in this thread as it is a matter of keeping the faith which is the good fight. May God cause the increase in the knowledge of Him and His words to us.