1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How the KJV became dominant

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Scott J, Mar 16, 2004.

1. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

If we are to lay the death of Edward Wightman at the feet of James I we will also have to lay the death of Michael Servetus at the feet of John Calvin. Burning was common in England in 1612, but Edward Wightman was the last heretic burned in England. Such burning were stopped by James I.

Edward Wightman was certainly no baptist, and were he alive today he would be a Unitarian. And, he was not judged nor condemned by James I, but by the Bishop of Coventry, and burned at Litchfield, April 11, 1612.

So, it is obvious that James I, while he may have consented to the burning of Mr. Wightman, did not do so unilaterally, nor in his capacity as a tyrant. It was the Bishop of Coventry who condemned Wightman, with the consent of the council of Bishops which tried Mr. Wightman for heresy.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

"we will also have to lay the death of Michael Servetus at the feet of John Calvin."
    And old Jean Calvin wouldn't mind at all if we did that.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Can't argue with the truth, including the fact that I think the ESV is a much better translation than the NIV. Just my humble opinion. :D

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we are to lay the death of Edward Wightman at the feet of James I we will also have to lay the death of Michael Servetus at the feet of John Calvin.</font>[/QUOTE] They are similar only to a degree. However, I would lay Servetus death partially at the feet of Calvin... the difference is that Calvin's charges were not in dispute and he pleaded with the man not to come to Geneva.
    Wightman's family later moved to the US and disputed the charges listed against him. They said he was killed for preaching against infant baptism.

I did a cursory look at the charges listed against him. Some of them were contradictory and mutually exclusive.

None the less, there was not legitimate basis for killing him.

Other accounts say that James directed the Bishop to try Wightman.

There are conflicting accounts but I believe his family that went on to establish Baptist churches in the US more than the English monarchy and the CoE. They were guilty of suppressing freedom of religion all the way up to the Revolution.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Those who bought BETA video recorders are STILL asking that very question about VHS. No matter how many products there are that are superior to VHs (Beta, DVD-RW, Tivo), VHS won't go away, even though it's technologically inferior, and has been since its inception.