1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How "theological" should a sermon be?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mikey, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I've come across a few sermons online where the pastor preachers certain theological doctrines like, Free will, predestination or dispy or reformed etc rather than a more neutral approach where one is saved by grace through faith etc. They can be pretty heavy handed even taking potshots at the other positions.

How should someone preach?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

That depends on the congregation and God's wisdom on your part.

Ask.

The promise "it shall be given him".

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many different things that go into the main topic of a sermon. Some preachers are expositors of the text. They go verse by verse and seldom deviate from that method. Others are topical. It's possible to preach on a topic and still be an expositor. Sometimes current events or developments with the church call for a sermon to be crafted to address them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If a sermon lacks doctrinal roots it will not prophet.
    It will be like Joel Osteen speeches.

• Like Like x 2
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outstanding use of a malaprop!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You preach the text. Some are relatively simple; some are more complex. My church is currently preaching through Romans 1-8 Sermons, and that is doctrinally heavy. You can't do justice to the text unless you get stuck into the doctrines. At the same time, it's important not to preach over the heads of the congregation.

Some churches that have morning and evening services have expository preaching in the morning and Gospel preaching in the evening.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some books such a Romans, will demand that the pastor indeed takes time to develop just what paul meant by predestination and election, and how those doctrines are to affect us, but other times, there is a more "light handed" approach with scriptures... There should not be "pot shots" though taken from the pulpit, as we can state that others disagree on this doctrine, but not as to belittle and make fun of them!

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN! That is what good exposition is all about. Let the Text say what The Holy Spirit intended it to say. If it's a "doctrinal" point, let it be so. If it's an imperative, let it be so. If it's a Characteristic of God, let it be so. I like what SWBTS has to say about "Text-Driven" preaching...It is presenting God's Truth from a text that is in keeping with its Substance, Structure, and Spirit.

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Preach that and all it encompasses and you will be theologically sound... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not trying to be cheeky, but what is the difference?

11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's a very fair question. :) Neither form of preaching should be without doctrine, and expository preaching should certainly have the Gospel very clearly within it.

Expository preaching will very often be consecutive preaching through a book of the Bible, and therefore will cover doctrine as it comes up in the text. It is therefore aimed at those who are already saved but need further instruction, or who at least have some knowledge of the Bible. Gospel preaching is aimed at those who are unsaved, even those who have no real knowledge of Christ or the Bible.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expository preaching is probably better called just plain "teaching" where a more scholarly approach to the hermeneutic is taken.using lexicons of Greek and Hebrew, commentaries, citations of ECF, etc... aimed at the saved to expand their personal knowledge base with the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Gospel preaching - preaching which calls upon the Holy Spirit to assist in the harvest of souls.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One is primarily aimed at the lost, while the other to the saved?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like contrasting Billy Graham to a John Macarthur, preaching to different main audiences?

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something like that - yes.

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this is a common method of preaching in the Plymouth Brethren. Personally, I have never been a fan of orienting the evening service towards unbelievers, although I would make a huge issue over it if it was occurring in my church. Since it is the Holy Spirit who prevails upon the heart of the sinner, He can use any portion of scripture for that purpose. A church I used to attend did what your church does. The attendance at the evening service was sparse. One member said to me, "How many times do I need to get saved?" I thought was funny. Again, not a huge issue. Perhaps it is just one of preference.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gathering of the body of Christ should be directly mainly though to have the saints mature and grew I their Faith, as the lost would be engaged mainly outside of the Church building during the week!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not only a Brethren thing. Many Reformed churches do the same. Go to Recent Sermons | Metropolitan Tabernacle - Metropolitan Tabernacle to see how Spurgeon's successor does it. The 'Gospel Sermons' are all Sunday evening ones. Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones also used to do it. His series on Ephesians was on Sunday mornings; the series on Romans was at the Friday evening Bible Study, but in the evenings he preached evangelistic sermons. Two collections of these are available from Banner of Truth. Those are from his first pastorate in South Wales, but he did the same at Westminster Chapel.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, that is fine. It is not my preference, but that is just me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the body of Christ is riddled with factions, some take no position on texts that divide, such as saying both views at true. Stalin did that, taking no position, therefore stealthfully rising in the ranks. Then of course he murdered about 20 million people.

We should preach the truth and where scholars disagree we should present our view, but clearly present that others hold a very different view. We worship the truth.