1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to become a Baptist minister on baptistboard?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by tejas136, Dec 28, 2020.

1. tejas136

tejas136 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I've been a Lutheran for a while now and thinking about going to seminary, but for a host of reasons I've been leaning towards converting to Reformed Baptist. While Lutheranism had a relatively clear-cut path to ordination, I haven't been able to find much on the Baptist denomination.

Do I have to attend a Baptist seminary? Or will any reputable Reformed seminary do? Any advice would be extremely helpful!

For context, I am starting my last year at college in the Spring on baptistboard

Thanks, and God bless! ♥️

2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you a member of a baptist church?

Why be a baptist?

The Eduction question is a wild variable for baptists. Some SBC chirches demand an MDIV from one of the 6 seminaries. Some pastors have no theological education, some had degrees from non Baptist Schools.

Some Reformed Baptists go to Presbyterian School, some go to Reformed Baptist Schools, some do school through a specfic chuch. Some RBs go to one of the 6 SBC schools

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The simple answer is to become a pastor of a Baptist church!
    In fact, a Baptist pastor is not required to be ordained or to even attend a Baptist
    college or seminary. Now a local Baptist church may.

BUT a Baptist church may have reservations about calling a Lutheran to be pastor.

For example - Baptists believe in eternal security, (except for Free will Baptist), Baptism is only by immersion and has not part of salvation. As we like to say - An outward action, for an inward decision. Communion is only a symbolism -. Also there is no particular frequency. Some Baptists will partake weekly, others only 2 or 3 times a year, others, just on special occasion - such as Christmas and Resurrection Sunday ( Some baptists do not like to use the word "easter") In addition, Communion and baptism are NOT sacraments, rather they are ordinances.
    Each local church is autonomous and independent (But the so-call "Independents" will say some are not so) Each church has its own constitution (including by-laws). Many churches are in fellowship with national groups - which also normally have State and local affiliates. For example as a Southern Baptist, we affiliate with the CNYBA, Baptist Convention of NY as well as the SBC. Each of these groups are independent of each other, but do work closely with each other.
    Then you need to consider: Some denominations (such as American Baptists) tend to be more liberal in doctrine and/or politics - (such as abortion, h0mosexu@l, ect). Other groups may be more conservative - then there are groups with extreme views. ect. Now, if you cannot find a church to accept you as a pastor - you can always start your own Baptist church. Notice, I did not capitalized "church" as there is no such thing as "The Baptist Church"
    Many baptist like to use this as a basis:
    Who Invented the B.A.P.T.I.S.T. Distinctives?

more helpful info: https://www.reference.com/world-view/different-types-baptist-
    churches-f6955f1f75fb82e9

15 Major Beliefs of Christian Denominations Compared

Well, this is a start - and I' sure others will put their 2 cents in

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tejas136

tejas136 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist