1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to best use my spiritual Gifts?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    e-6589,

I have no doubt that God has gifted you in certain areas. And you should use them in the manner that the Holy Spirit leads you to. You shouldn't take the results of a test and try to run in that direction. Run in the direction the Holy Spirit gives you and in the timeliness that He leads you in. Someone may have a gift of teaching, but the Holy Spirit may need them to be a learner for a while before they start teaching.

But with that being said, I've never been an ardent supporter of the spiritual gifts test. I don't believe that our spiritual gifts are about us - you and me. And I don't believe you can scientifically measure spiritual gifts with a pencil and paper multiple choice test.

What if the results aren't valid? What if our answers are being influenced by our circumstances of life at the time, or your subconscious desire to skew the test results to what you want it to say, or the misinterpretation of a question?

I know when my church had all the adults in Discipleship Training take a spiritual gifts test 20+ years ago, I skewed my results on purpose. I could very easily tell which questions were about mercy, teaching, missions.....

.....and I knew that they were looking for a team to start some door to door canvassing, so I score the missions questions very low! The things I wanted to participate in, I scored high - and I was able to do that because the questions were so transparent that you knew which question pertained to which gift.

And honestly? I've seen people who won't participate in a particular work in the church because they say, "it's not my gift" and vice versa (and more damaging) - I've seen a couple of people who jumped into teaching a Sunday School class because some random multiple choice questionnaire claimed that their gift was teaching - and it wasn't. It almost seemed to give them a sense of superiority.

How do we know what our gifts are then? [1] The Holy Spirit's prodding and conviction and [2] other believers' consistently sharing with us how they were changed/effected by what we did.

I just don't believe that we should go around saying "My gift is this....my gift is that." And these spiritual gifts tests make people do that very thing.

#21 Scarlett O., Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

So you have all these " gifts" but you need advice from strangers on the Internet to know what to do with them :laugh:

This makes me question whether you really want to know.....or are you just boasting in front of men to gain admiration??

Matthew 6

6 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

This goes for giving to the needy..,,or proclaiming spiritual gifts.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I view a person havin agift to prophesy as being one who has insight into the scriptures, who can bring out a fresh application of the prophet aspects of the bible, to have those principles administered into daily situations and current events...

NOT able to say 'thus sayeth the lord", but how to apply to us what the Lord already had said!