1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to Bible Colleges Measure Up?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attended a premier Baptist "Bible" college (require 30-36 hours of Bible "major" for all grads in addition to professional major). I taught at another premier Baptist "Bible college from 96-00.

I also attended a state university. Comparing the classes, lectures, course work, requirements, etc, per credit was interesting. I was constantly amazed at how much EASIER it was at the secular school than at the Bible college!

Unfortunately, the proliferation of pathetic excuses of learning that CALL themselves Bible colleges is giving the concept of "bible college" a bad name.

Anyone else have the same experience? Others thoughts.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Bible college I went to was rigorous, more so than what I had at other colleges, one a top-flight, heavily respected school.

I think that some Bible colleges have started toughening up their standards, particularly after some seminaries started undergraduate programs.

3. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was that Boyce--since you also completed some cousework at SBTS ?!?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No. Clear Creek Baptist Bible College in Pineville, KY. www.ccbbc.edu

Boyce was merely a Bible institute when I was going to college.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The secular college I went to was a top school in the area of physics. I found that I had to study very hard. Frankly I did not find it much different than the seminary or the high school I attended. The high school I went to was a public high school and has had an excellent reputation for academics and athletics. I think the workload depends a lot on the faculty and philosophy of the particular school. I did go to another well known secular university and found that I studied harder in high school than I did there.

I believe that very few schools teach the aspect of practical ministry and how to implement discipleship in a church.

Some schools have the philosophy, God has called you so we need to help you get through. The other philosophy is, God has called you so we need to help you be well prepared.

Does anyone know of a Bible college or seminary where the professors are actually training students how to disciple someone and requires its students to have discipled someone before they graduate?

[ July 09, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: gb93433 ]