1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to deal with Church of Christ accusations against Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JohnnyReb, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ed B

Ed B Member

Correct, although they would say grace is imparted through baptism and faith is required to make baptism effectual. Both Oneness and CoC practice believer's baptism after all.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, don't Oneness hold that the name of jesus is what saves the person being dunked?

And c of c hold that genuine faith is evidenced by doing act of the baptism?

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up and was baptized in C of C (instrumental type).
    I asked the Lord to forgive me. I confessed publicly that I believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God and that Christ died, was buried and was raised on the third day.

Later, I married a baptist woman. Then started attending church. Then we asked to join the church. I had to be re-baptized since they said I was baptized by folks who taught baptismal regeneration. My wife was baptized for the first time (and it will be the last time).

I'm sort of the prodigal son at the C of C where I grew up. They all know that I am a baptist lay minister and that I preach. The last time I was there was at my boyhood friend's visitation. We were all sitting around and the man who used to be our Youth Minister spoke up loud enough so I could hear and proclaimed "Chris may be dead, but I tell you what he did in there, in that water is what really matters!" He was pointing to the baptistry.

How sad. He was misled. Sincere. But misled. I just thought to myself "if Chris or ANYONE for that matter is depending on what they did in a baptismal to save themselves, then that is NOT grace but works."

They avoid discussing the thief on the cross next to Christ. They just focus on ONE verse in Acts from Peter's sermon at Pentecost and an awful interpretation of John chapter 3 to live off of and ignore the "big picture" of Holy Scripture. I've rambled long enough about this. I love these people who gave me a church home as a child, but they are misled. And baptists, in their eyes, are bunch of folks who are silly because they believe in eternal security and that baptism is not essential to salvation.

Edit: the greatest thing I learned as a baptist reading the Bible is this.... I'm not saved b/c I prayed a prayer or that I walked the aisle. I'm saved based upon what CHRIST DID. Not what I did. And therein lies the difference.

#43 Jkdbuck76, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

In discussing the thief on the cross with CoC they say that this happened before Christ was resurrected so the thief died under the law, not grace dispensation. They believe all other churches are denomination but them, they are the true Church of Christ. They believe everyone else regardless of whether they go to denominational churches or not are going to hell.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really??? Is this written down somewhere? Id like to see some proof of that one Salzer. Now they are coping an attitude like Roman Catholics in my passed life did...ie, we are the only true church & every one else is false.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So to summerise, you do NOT believe that the efficacy & the power of Christs atonement is limited in any way!, and certainly not by man. Therefore your saying that mans salvation is all of God.

7. salzer mtn

CoC believe if anyone is not baptized for the remission of sin's they will go to hell regardless of whether they go to any church or not. They believe other beliefs are denominations but the CoC is the true church. I live around them, I have worked with them, I have talked with them.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

EWF, not all CofC folks are that radical but they are out there. Trust me, I have been confronted by them before. They really do believe that they are the only true church and that all others are apostate. Personally, I would classify them as being a mainline cult.

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

What is that interpretation of John 3?

10. salzer mtn

I think he was relating too, Verly verly I say unto you,except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. St. John 3:5

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iwould see them as a Chrsitian cult, same as SDA/Oneness, as use same rterms, with different meanings vested in them!

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I believe ya, I dont live around them ....I live around catholics & they are scary but these guys are new to me. Didnt even know they existed.

But I am not vilifying them either.... take a listen to this.....It would be similar to the message I know baptists would project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfrZ3mEKw5Q

#52 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  13. salzer mtn

Google Alexander and Thomas Campbell, they are father and son that are the CoC founders. They were once Baptist that came out of the Stone association and started this cult and were nicknamed Campbellities.

14. salzer mtn

The Duck Dynasty people are CoC. They give good talks about practical religion which Baptist can agree with but their practical religion (works) is a must for them to get to heaven. Most all different denominations have practical religion but I am not to trust in my works to get to heaven on, so these talks on practical religion can be deceiving to some folks and make them believe CoC are saved and on the road to heaven.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I believe there are saved in all denominations despite their doctrine. One could reasonably say that the RCC, SDA, and CoC has about the same percentage of saved.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Duck Dynasty clan might very well be saved, as in the ultimate sense, its those whom God has chosen to save in Christ will indeed be saved, but still no reason to not call them out on some aspects of their theology!

17. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Being born of water = baptismal regeneration in C o C teaching.

I had a very nice person point out to me how that was wrong. Water doesn't do the saving. Our decisionism doesn't do the saving--God does the saving.

Again, I didn't understand the difference until I got out of that church. There is a difference between
    a) "I'm saved because many years ago I asked Jesus into my heart and was baptized."

and

b) "I'm saved because of what Christ did on the cross. He died for my sins and I'm trusting in His promise to save me."

a) relies on me. b) relies on Christ.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are moving in the right direction:thumbs:

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being connected with the Highlander clan Sinclair, I'm already prejudiced against any Campbell...my wife wont al:BangHead:low any of their soup products in the house. :rolleyes:

The Scots are tough people. So any Campbell is already on the Spit List. But I will Google them.

#59 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, for any sinner will be saved based upon the Will of God and His elective purpose towards them in Christ, but does not mean that we cannot dispute bad theology of Duck Dnasty family, even while they might well be saved!