1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to Deal With Those That Differ From Us

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by KenH, Nov 10, 2002.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I humbly suggest that everyone who posts in this forum read the following article and that we all attempt to put it into practice -

www.hispeace.org/html/artic05.htm

[ November 10, 2002, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Thanks for posting this, Ken. I know that the same article was also in one of the Founders Journals.

Rev. G

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is precisely what fires up modern polemicists more than ever, and makes the discussion all the more important.
    Great article!

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Who does not encounter from time to time people who are not in complete agreement; therefore it is good to seek to discover certain basic principles whereby we may relate to those who differ from us.

While I agree fully with the theme of that article - "Disagreeing agreeably" - and I also agree with the point above that we can discover certain common principles that are useful in relating to each other - I also think there is a higher purpose. We can actually "Discover" something.

It is often the case of human nature that the entire purpose in posting is to proclaim one side of an argument and pretend that you see nothing in the other side.

You can see this on both sides on this forum - and it is comforting to know that we are all human when it is all said and done.

But why not move past that pitfall - at least on occassion? Put down the baseball bats for a day - and pick up the study glasses. Be serious in objections - but give the opposing view serious consideration as well. Do not "pretend" that you don't notice the points made against a pet view. Use those points to "Discover something" about your own view and maybe also about the other view as well.

It is fascinating to discover a sequence that appears to have no response from the opposing side, it means that you are on to something. By the same token, when the other side offers a sequence of challenges that go "substantively unanswered" - you have just "discovered something else" about your own view.

With just a little bit of thick skin - you can enter this forum and find someone (if you are lucky) who is just objective enough to seriously challenge you AND also to seriously consider the salient points in your own positions.

Too often, we find that "meltdown" occurs on either side "as soon as answers run out - the mud slinging and complaining begin". It is as predictable as rain in April. But look around, amidst the din of the complaints and sarcasm - there are some who continue to post objectively - looking for a serious poster on the other side.

I really enjoy finding those honest souls who can tough it out - even when things are not going well for their own view. Who seek after truth - no matter how it may challenge their own traditions. We all need that spirit.

If you had been alive - 2000 years ago, would your present reaction to those who differ from you today, have served you well enough back then to side with the Carpenter - against the Theologians? It would have taken more than a proclivity to mud slinging and sarcasm to work through that one. The Holy Spirit is confronting our views today just as directly as He confronted the views of the first century Hebrew, worshipping in the One True Hebrew Nation Church of his day.

In Christ,

Bob

[ November 13, 2002, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: BobRyan ]

5. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

With some of the recent posts, just thought it might be helpful to *bump* this back to the top.
    [​IMG]
    Rev. G

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    After posting the link at the top of this thread, it seemed like the level of conversation by both sides was raised above the level of an elementary school playground for a week or so.

But now I see that the non-Calvinists in particular have gone back into attack mode using perjorative language and badmouthing their opponents instead of sticking to what they believe to be Scriptural arguments that support their point of view.

May all of us who post in this forum once again renew our efforts to engage in honest, fair discussion.

Ken

7. Jacob

Jacob Member

Ken, I do not disagree with your comment but be careful not to miss the log in your own eye. I do notice that you make plenty of use of arrogant sarcasm to deliver your "cheap shots".

Jacob.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone ever read with comprehension what people write in this forum? Didn't I say, "May all of us"?

Ken

9. Jacob

Jacob Member

Yes you did and I read that the first time. I just wanted to point out that "attack mode" comes in different forms...sometimes direct and not subtle, sometimes indirect and subtle.

Jacob.

10. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Ken; [​IMG]
    My being a non Calvinist actually here to complement you with Gods word.A little something I think we all agree on.

"Mat 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

I hope that you know that I myself have never attacked you.While I do disagree with some of your beliefs. I do not disagree with your doing your best to bring peace.Debate forums are always full of people who maybe Christian but not always acting like one's.People are unaware sometimes of the damage they can do with just a few words.In perspective though all we need is to love, the rest will come as a result of it...
    Romanbear [​IMG]
    Peace