1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HOW TO DEBATE PROPERLY

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 16, 2006.

?
  1. We should just state the facts of our case and let the chips fall where they may

84.2%
  2. The other person's feelings are what's more important

15.8%
  3. The exchange of ideas and not doctrine is whats important

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I missed the start of this thread...

I didn't vote...

That's because while I feel quite strongly about the need to state the facts and let the chips fall where they may...

I also recognise the easy ability with which we all jump to the wrong conclusion from facts posted without regard to semantics or target audience...

I may agree 100% on an issue but not have the background to understand that a given person is saying the same thing with different words in a different way...

Communication is the name of the game...

If we don't prefer one another in Love, (and temper our posts accordingly), can we *really* be communicating?

Among believers, Hebrews tells not to forget to Communicate...

If what you say puts me on the defensive, especially without any wiggle room, I'll be so busy defending my position and framing my retort (as opposed to rebuttal) to actually "Hear" what your post said...

Even when dealing with the lost...

Honey usually works better than Vinegar. :D

I am not saying sugar coat the truth...

After all Hell is real, and it's eternal...

But, I am saying to ask the Holy Spirit to help *all* of us frame our posts so that we Communicate Love and Concern for one another so that Love will have a chance to do her perfect work in convincing each other...

The wounds of a friend are faithful...

I'll let a proven friend get close enough to wound me...

And, after I stop 'bleeding' I'll, at some point, thank them... [​IMG]

SMM

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am comfortable with the "State the facts" -- "Report the news from scripture" but what happens in real life is "people's feelings are written all over every post" with "Some scripture added".

That is what you see in Matt 22 with the Sadduccees and when Christ offers the ultimate "proof" for the resurrection - they retreat in silence - but cling to their failed argument "anyway".

In Christ,

Bob

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

sorry guys, I couldnt think of any more options to put on the Voting thing... it was hard to think up stuff for it

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

One thing that bothers me is that in all the message boards Ive ever been to I think I have seen a total of two people actually change their minds about something.

So it almost seems like its just everybody trying to say their own views and then everyone else getting mad at them for doing it...

Kind of like an exercise in futility.

for the most part, anyway.

5. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

If you've been committed to something most of your life unless there is a Dream, Vision or some other Divine Revelation it is doubtful you will change that view overnight....

Over the years I haven't abandoned any of my core beliefs...

But, a number of beliefs have been "Tempered" as "sharing" has progressed...

I may learn a new way of saying the same thing...

And, even if my beliefs aren't tempered it allows me (provided as Bob so eloquently put it my emotions don't get too involved) to see and even possibly appreciated another view point...

While it may not end in agreement about an issue...

It, at the least, challenges me to re-evaluate what I say I believe, how I communicate what I believe, and how I practice what I believe...

In some cases I've found that my rhetoric hasn't matched my actions...

Or, what I really believed deep down inside...

SMM

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make that three.

I learn a lot here.
    I don't change my mind quickly, I mull over things, study them, re-evaluate...then come to another mind.

I may not be evident in a single post but over time my views have matured.

One of the biggest things I've learned...and am still learning is how not to respond to the flaming post.
    There are so many of them here!
    I'm still learning how to keep silent and ignore the unchristian, innane comments of others.

Rob

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Deacon,

Maybe there are alot more people that change their minds about something than we realize... and they just dont say anything about it. Or at least they are thinking about what you said and mulling over it.

I havent really changed anything about my basic beliefs on these boards but I have picked up different things that I hadnt realized or seen in the Bible before and things like that.