1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to get people interested in Sunday School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each and every week it seems as if nobody does their HW, nor memorizes the verses and unfortunately it always seems as if I am the main student answering the questions and participating in class discussion. Our church uses the study guide format over the traditional lecture format most churches use for SS which basically allows a student to attend class and play on his/her iPhone and fall asleep during class. Perhaps since the study format is not common in most churches people are not used to it, and so they do not do their HW as most churches have no accountability for the students.

Anyone had any luck or what works for you using this format of education? I feel sorry for the pastor and even I was a little upset when I taught that one week that no one would look at my study handout I passed out nor check out the books I mentioned for further study, even though none of the books was at the graduate level and all laymen level books.

Even today when we left a member said "we should all get on the ball and do our homework isn't that right John!"

#1 evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pass out more books and form a reading circle. :laugh:

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have passed out books and will pass out another book next week to a student that is questioning the New Age cult. The book called Invasion of other gods.

But the other books I have extra copies of I doubt anyone will read at this church.

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a joke.

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that was the case I would be more inclined to go to Dunkin Donuts for a coffee until just before church time.

#5 padredurand, Jun 22, 2014
  6. Winman

Winman Active Member

What was the subject of today's Sunday School class, and what did you say?

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Two phases of the coming of Christ being the rapture and second coming. I know this is a topic you and me will agree on as you do not debate eschatology much if at all on this board. I can create a defense of the pretrib/premill position very easily from the lesson today from many scriptures. If Amill/PostMill/Historic Premill and such looked at the many verses opposing their view.. Nah another topic.

What I said I just answered the eschatology questions well which very clearly defended this position and would have left the Preterist speechless.

#7 evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2014
  8. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

John I have taught class for many years now and I find the same thing. Very few ever prepare for class if even participate. Maybe give people assignments for next week? It is a difficult thing to see people not as excited about Bible study as you are, but I can also say why am I not as excited as others. We are all at different levels of sanctification. Also some may study but just not talk much. You would be surprised at who is hanging on your every word but doesn't appear to be. I have to be careful about judging for my eyes cannot see the soul of a man, that is God's domain. Praise God.:wavey:

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

I can understand why folks did not participate in this discussion, it is very complex. There are a lot of different views, and each has some good arguments.

I myself am not exactly sure where I stand on this, I was taught the Pre-trib view, but I see scripture that seems to argue against it.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
    22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

This scripture argues the elect will go through the great tribulation.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

This scripture says AFTER the tribulation the elect will be gathered.

So, I have been leaning away from the Pre-trib rapture the last few years, but I have not studied it out enough to know exactly what I believe.

If you want to present your case for a Pre-Trib rapture, start another thread and I will participate the little I know.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Most folks won't prepare for a SS class or small group discussion. It doesn't matter if your pastor is leading it, they just won't prepare. This is a reality in ministry today.

In the church where I get to serve, we have a fairly multi-generational ministry. Our senior citizens segment has traditional Sunday morning SS and they even use the ole Lifeway Walk Through the Bible curriculum in all their classes. Great people btw, love these saints. They pass out quarterlies and we spend good money on them. As our ministry leader reports, about 60% of these folks prepare from week to week. That's a pretty good number. The discussions are lively and wonderful. They are dedicated to maintaining this model.

Now, the rest of our groups...few prepare other than the teachers (and sometimes that is sketchy.) We've tried many approaches but, even after a couple of great initial weeks, it is back to few people having prepared. Some shorter studies seem to work well, and we do have success with our finance ministry and marriage emphasis groups. Our ongoing groups aren't very good with this.

So, we teach our teachers to use creative teaching methods to open up discussion. Engage with great opening thoughts or even activities. Use common situations or current events to spur discussion. Then move to the biblical text, have others read it aloud, then engage, exegete and apply. Keep the conversation open and allow folks to contribute. Where possible, stand up and move, never default to lecture when it gets tough. You'll find that participation soars and people are leaving with smiles.

You just can't expect people to prepare for groups or SS anymore. It is a travesty, yes it is...but in ministry we accept people where they are and contend to raise the bar for them. That is our job. :)

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I share teaching Sunday bible classes with a friend.

I don't expect my students to prepare because I have to admit I have rarely prepared for classes myself.

We design each class as a self-contained unit.

We begin by reading the bible, each person reads a few verses of the scripture we are studying.

We emphasize basic bible study methods.

We contextualize the section with the previous sections we studied.

We tend to avoid discussions of systematic theology.
    We attempt to understand the biblical message of the text in its OT context, we connect it to NT theology and then provide an application to their lives.

The primary focus is on teaching basic bible study skills they can use in their own studies.

The secondary focus is to familiarize them with the narrative of scripture which may not regularly read on their own.

Rob

12. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Maybe a good idea would be to call each class member during the week to encourage them to read the lesson. Or maybe even visit them and talk about the lesson. Just an idea. :thumbs:

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last adult Sunday School class I taught was the most disappointing experience I've ever had. It was young adults 20-30 years old. There were 8 people in the class (4 couples), and I don't think I've ever seen a more biblically illiterate bunch. There was very little interest, next to no discussion, it was disheartening at best.

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y'all are confusing age with spiritual maturity.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The lesson should have been on what happens when God saves someone.....does not sound as if any of these people knew about it yet.

People with no appetite for the word of God need to be saved...that will fix it really quick:thumbs:

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    evangelist6589;
    And then again maybe not:type:

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That ain't no kiddin'

But man can't make it happen - alas

18. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gift of teaching might be something too consider. I find it lacking in many "teachers" that are heading up classes.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pastor tried this for a while and it did not work so I think he just gave up.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah I wonder that myself. People that claim to love God yet don't have time nr care to dig into the word. Or perhaps it may be an issue of maturity as even I was not mature in the year 1989 and for many years prior and since.

But in 1989 I was under the influence of Weslyian theology and I remember the devil constantly tempting me that I had lost my salvation or because I had not said the sinners prayer perfectly I was lost. I am glad the Lord brought me to Calvinism. What a nightmare living like that and always thinking that I have lost my salvation because I had sinned too great.

#20 evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2014