1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to identify a 'False Teacher'

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 2BHizown, Jul 4, 2006.

1. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

There are so many different type sermons out there today with preachers focusing on different 'feel-good' motivational topics so how does one know for sure whether a preacher or teacher is of the truth or if they are to be considered a 'false teacher'? Thoughts and comments welcome.

Helpful info here: http://www.mountzion.org/fgb/Spring95/FgbSP1-95.html

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

A very good article. Maybe Matthew 17:6 is a good start, by their fruits you shall know them. This is in the context of false teachers, and not a verse to use as a guessing game as to the salvation of others. And to me, the fruits are the fruits of the Spirit listed in Galatians.

That is one of the reason it is so important to read and study the Bible. That is why it is important to have a close walk with God and exercise that Holy Spirit in you, so the Spirit in you can testify this is a false teacher. Lazy Christians are the most likely (along with the lost) to fall for the baloney of false teachers.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I would say that knowing the Truth is the best way to spot the false teachings, especially in this day and age when information is so readily accessible without every seeing the person live and in color.

I think the Matthew chapter would be more beneficial for those maybe looking for a different church, although seeing the pastor/ss teachers for any significant amount of time outside of the walls of church may even make that difficult I don't know.

The safest things seems to be as planetary friend has shared with us.

4. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Be rooted and grounded in the Scripture yourself. For a new Christian I would say that after hearing something, be like the Bereans- search the Scripures, to see if these things are so.
    Also, there are some good places on the internet that describes false teachings, teachers and organizations.

#4 Watchman, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can tell a crooked stick by laying a straight one next to it.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I like that. Simple but illustrates the point exactly!

The Straight stick of course being the Word of God.

7. Flippo

Flippo Member

Be like the Bereans who didn't take Paul at face value but checked his words with scripture.

Phil

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Along with knowing the truth of the Bible, another seeming characteristic of false teachers is exclusivity. Not in the exclusiveness of Christ or salvation only through Him, but in that false teachers believe they are the only true teachers who interpret Scripture correctly.

This also plays out in a demand that their followers not listen to anyone else except the leader.