1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How To Kill Revival in our Lives and in our Churches

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Surrender To Jesus, Mar 24, 2003.

1. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Good post Surrender to Jesus. Though you may be young, you seem to have a better head on your shoulders than some around here. At least your in the right book.

BTW, like the quote, is it an original?

"The backslider likes the preaching that wouldn't hit the side of a house, while the real disciple is delighted when the truth brings him to his knees"

2. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Surrender to Jesus, It was a good post, stay true to the Book brother. I do not feel I shall ever worry about you becoming a "undercover Christian" ha ha [​IMG] Like others that I am sure you have met by now ;)
    Swordsman

3. Girla

Girla New Member

Surrender to Jesus,
    Amen! there are too many things that Christians compromise to, because of all these new liberal ideas that the world (which worships Satan)that confuses the mind. What is true is always true, what is false is always false. And the Truth is in Christ Jesus. Thank you for your encouraging words. It's good to know of others out there are led by the Holy Spirit to be bold in the truth.
    --Girla

4. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

[​IMG] This extraBiblical legalism borders on heresy. [​IMG]

5. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Does a happily married man NOT commit adultry because it is illeagle or because he loves his wife?
    What was mentioned above is not legalism

6. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

7. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Terry, I was using a married man as an example of a Christian that does something or does not do something out of love for his God, not because of the law.
    Maybe I should have been a little clearer,sorry everyone :eek:

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone - "Surrender to Jesus" is only 21 years old. Just remember how we who are now mature were when we were only 21 years old, how we thought we knew everything and had all of the answers to all of life's questions. Then we matured and learned that we didn't. Anyone who matures eventually learns this. [​IMG]

9. swordsman

swordsman New Member

I am 38 yrs old and pretty well agree with him,(Surrender to Jesus) enough that we could fellowship and not worry about stepping on each others toes.
    I dont believe he has learned to weaken his stance in order not to offend those who would live as it seems right in their own eyes.
    Which to me is a good thing!

[ April 06, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: swordsman ]

10. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Swordsman said, "...those who would live as it seems right in their own eyes."

I would think that those who use MV's do not "live as it seems right in their own eyes." Rather, we believe that using a MV is not only acceptable to God, but allows us to better reach people for Christ.

Although Swordsman may not have meant the comment as offensive, it still sounds like a put down. This is the crux of what, I perceive, is one of the worst things about many KJVO's. They feel that it is their God given duty to straighten out everybody else. And, when they come to someone who looks at the same facts they do and draw different conclusions, they are ridiculed. How sad. [​IMG]

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Terry,

Good point. Unfortunately, everyone has not yet learned that God did not put them on His earth to be a flyswatter to swat everything little thing that, in their personal opinion, is out of line with their way of thinking. [​IMG]

12. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Terry I know we have different views on the version issue,this post had absolutly nothing to do with the Bible one uses, it had everything to do with liberty and legalism.
    Now I do not care how a brother lives that is bettween him and God as long as he does not influence my family or my church.
    The statement that I made and you quoted was addressed to the lukewarm, cold..( I dont care that God is holy I am going to do as I please, I have LIBERTY!!!) They make me sick to my stomach.

My earlier post was not a shot to those on this board, Swordsman

13. swordsman

swordsman New Member

1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

2 Peter 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

Going by your view and which version one uses,, truth is not an absolute and neither is godliness

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Swordsman, have you ever considered that such people are lost?

15. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Daniel David, Yes I have, the only problem is that most of them profess to have accepted Jesus as their savior and many faithfully attend church.
    I believe that the whole thing comes down to a persons definition of the word HOLY, as far as how they should live.
    It saddens me but I feel most saved born again Christians are trying to see how much they can get away with instead of how holy they can live.
    A brother of mine told me of a site he stumbled across that believe it or not promotes christian swinging and they support it with scripture( using it out of context of course).
    If a person reads the Word of God and knows that the Lord wants them to separate from every unclean thing( not for salvation but to please their Lord)and continues in the things that are displeasing to Him, they not only hurt their walk but their witness. They will have to answer for it at the Judgement Seatof Christ.
    Today if you speak out against such you are branded a legalist and judgemental.

[ April 06, 2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: swordsman ]

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be because of this very type of post, that is both legalist and judgmental! And what a sad view of the Bema Seat to look at it as a time of judgment for my sins!

My sins - all of them, before I was saved and after - are paid for and forgiven and forgotten by the precious blood of my Savior. I will NEVER have to bear them anywhere, anytime. (I will start a new thread on the Bema Seat - think it would be good to learn about the TRUE nature of that time of reward rather than the negative guilt-ridden manipulative view so often heard in pulpits today.)

17. swordsman

swordsman New Member

That may be because of this very type of post, that is both legalist and judgmental! And what a sad view of the Bema Seat to look at it as a time of judgment for my sins!

My sins - all of them, before I was saved and after - are paid for and forgiven and forgotten by the precious blood of my Savior. I will NEVER have to bear them anywhere, anytime. (I will start a new thread on the Bema Seat - think it would be good to learn about the TRUE nature of that time of reward rather than the negative guilt-ridden manipulative view so often heard in pulpits today.)
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dr. Bob,
    I disagree while it is true all of our sins are forgiven when we accept Christ, what we do afterwards is remembered if not repented of and confessed. NOT for our salvation.

For instance...

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad

we do recieve for the bad..

18. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

8.) Allow your temper to get in the way of showing your Christianity, go ahead. make people realize how inpleasant you can be, maybe a visitor will see that and think negatively about the church, You act like a Christian! don't allow others with a purpose to them to be discouraged (if you're opinions dictate your stands, then you're getting pretty fleshly, allow God and His Word to dictate your opinions and stands)

Jack Hyles is alive and well.

19. Surrender To Jesus

Surrender To Jesus New Member

Since this forum has gone under fire from all angles, I'm going to clear a few things. I actually should've named it "quenching the fire" True revival is completely the work of the Holy Spirit and God certainly uses preachers to proclaim it but it's the Spirit that does the work, that's proven in the scriptures. However, a person ought to live a life worthy of being called a Christian. Instead of trying to bring the Bible to your standards, why not try to climb to the standards of the Bible? But we have too many theologians here that "know more than the Bible and are nothing but (Bible correctors). It's also hillarious how my age was attacked, i recall the Lord using young people in the Bible such as David and in our own history. Bro. Hyles preached at 19. Not 30, or 40, but when God decided to use him. And of course he's attacked on this thread b/c he wasn't a compromiser. No one has it all together but you are not get in the way of God's man. "Do my profits no harm." A lot of people who love some of the great preachers that stood on God's Word today (people such as Moody, Torrey, etc.) are the same people who would've criticized them in their times.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you should be concerned with the beam rather than the speck. KJVOnlyism is precisely what you charge here... correcting the Bible to your concept of what it should be.
    If you think Hyles wasn't a compromiser then you have either not read his writings or not read the Bible. Hyles taught a very corrupt brand of easy believism writing that the only sin that had to be repented of for salvation is the sin of 'unbelief'. This is a false teaching from the very bowels of hell.

Further, he had an illicit sexual affair with a woman from his church then rationalized it by claiming that everyone is an adulterer but that some are not practicing. He reportedly said that adultery was not a sin but a mistake.

He also appears to have covered up for his son who was immoral.

If Hyles is guilty of even half the level of hypocrisy and false doctrine that he is accused of then he is a false prophet- not worthy of the title God's man.
    Sorry friend but Hyles is no Torrey or Moody or Rice for that matter. None of these men departed from orthdoxy the way Hyles did.