1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How To Know God’s Will

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What the Bible Says about How to Know God’s Will
    by Wayne Grudem
    Crossways, 2020, 77 pages

Measuring a mere 7” by 5”, this concise booklet is packed full of valuable information and is worth reading by young Christians and more seasoned Christians alike.

The book is organized initially by examining four dimensions of every action; the action itself, the person’s attitudes about the action, the person’s motives for doing the action, and the results of the action.
    Afterwards Grudem discusses nine sources of information or guidance to be considered in any moral decision.

What personally drew me to purchase this booklet was a portion discussing Garry Friesen’s book (initially published in 1980), Decision Making and the Will of God, Multnomah Press,452 pages.
    Friesen’s book holds a special place on my shelf, it was formative in my early Christian development.
    At the end of Grudem’s book, nine pages are devoted to discuss a disagreement with Friesen’s conclusion, which Grudem summarizes, “rules out all direct personal guidance from the Holy Spirit today”.
    I was surprised by this response. Reading Grudem’s short booklet was like reading an updated summary of Friesen’s tome.
    In fact, Grudem adds in his conclusion that he sent a copy of the work to Garry Friesen who wrote back,

“After reading your chapter several times, I am convinced that we are closer in viewpoint than you think and than I thought. You do not hold the traditional view. You hold something like the wisdom view with exceptions. Even those exceptions are very close to my own view. But of course, there are some differences.”​

Wayne Grudem has written some books recently in which he has over emphasized a point of disagreement. In my mind, he’s telling me more about himself than he is informing me of those he disagrees with.

I would encourage you to read this booklet. I also would continue to recommend Garry Friesen’s book. Both books will remain sitting together on my shelves.

Rob