1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to know God's plan?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by wtrsju, Feb 28, 2005.

1. wtrsju

wtrsju New Member

Hello,
    I have a question that is very relevant to my life and possibly others. The question is how do you know what God's plan is? I mean I have feelings, but how do I know this feeling is God's leaning. How do you know for sure what God's will is? This could be regarding relationships, college choices, work choices etc.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You should read Gray Friesen's Decision Making and the Will of God[/b].

3. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Wow....

You have asked the question that I think every Christian has asked...........

I can only give you what my experience has been.

I find that in my own life, I discern the Lord's will through prayer, and study of His word. I can tell you that God will never tell, or have you do something that is contrary to what is contained in the Bible.

Also, I personally have found that if I will not make a major decision until I have prayed and asked His will for at least 3 days (sometimes more, once or twice less), focusing not on what I want, but on what He wants.....The answer comes.

I would encourage you to talk with your pastor, read what the scripture has to say about the subject, talk with other mature Christians, and Pray, Pray, Pray.

If you are trully seeking God's will, then trust that He loves you enough to reveal it to you in His time......Don't get rushed! He's in control!

In Christ, your Bro. John

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

John MacArthur has a great little book on this very subject that I have found to be the most helpful reading I have done in this area. I believe the title is Found: God's Will. His basic premise is that instead of looking for some grand concept of God's will for your life, focus on remainging faithful and obedient in the things we already know to be God's Will...the things He tells us in His Word. And when we are focusing on being faithful and obedient to those things, God will take care of the big things.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some things come in a moment and other comes through patience.

Is. 40:31, "Yet those who wait for the Lord Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles , They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary."

6. wtrsju

wtrsju New Member

Thank you for the verses and insights. Very interesting stuff.

7. Dannyboy

Dannyboy New Member

I've been dealing with this for some time now...my Uncle/ Pastor gave me some good advice. He said the before you make any decision (bigger than paper or plastic) you need to get three green lights.
    1) Peace through Prayer (Holy Spirit)
    2) Find a verse in God's word (Jesus)
    3) Look for open doors (God)
    Each of these points has to do with the character of each of the trinity even thought the trinity is one, each deals with different parts of our lives. The Holy Spirit is apparent in the dealing of our prayer life, Jesus is the living word, therefore He gives us peace through the study of His word, and God opens and shuts doors in our lives it could be the difference between getting accepted to a college or not...it isn't getting mad because you are denied but accepting it as God's Holy and Divine will for your life.
    Just always remember that God is in control...we can disobey, but He will guide us if we will follow.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Another point.
    God's word is a lamp unto our path. Not the whole road of our lives.

Think of it this way.

You are out camping. It is night time. You need the outhouse. You take a flashlight with you. If you shine it on the entire path, in the dark, you could stub your toe on what's in front of you. But if you shine it just in front of your feet, you can see the obstacles as they come along. You can then safely avoid the pitfalls and make it safely to your destination. God's word is that flashlight for your path. It is not necessary to see the whole path. Just what is in front of you.

I added this in addition to what the other brothers have offered. All have given good sound counsel. Which BTW; is Scriptural. "There is wisdom in a multitude of counselors."

In HIS service;
    Jim