1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to salvage OSAS in view of Rom 11 and 2Tim2

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob speaking of John 15:1-7 2Tim 2, Romans 11, MAtt 18 etc

Quote:
    -- But then try to rework each of these texts so that those who fall -- had already fallen and were never saved. Those who failed to persevere in fact never had anything to persevere IN so they in fact did not fail to persevere because they were never "in" to start with. (In interesting self-conflicted argument).
    #1. IF you really "believed" that idea you propose "Worked" you would not have abandoned it for the text-denying model of preterism. So we know that even you see the flaw in what you are suggesting.

#2. I have pointed to specific texts - but where do you see yourself exegeting those texts to show that "IN CHRIST" means "LOST" as you propose above? Or as in Matt 18 "obtaining forgiveness" is really "being lost still" or in Rom 11 "Being IN the vine of Christ" and persevering in BELIEVING is the "wicked state" -- try to "Show that".

Even your reference to John 8 does not "show" the quote for "belief" and how that means "lost". Of course I could point to James 2 showing that those who "believe" are lost - in fact lost as demons who believe the same way are lost. Perhaps you had intended to use that text? "Can that faith save him?" did you mean to use James 2?

In Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The text states "Sin" as in "continually sin" as in one who says "I do not care that I am breaking the Law of God". Even Christ affirmed this in the Gospels "IF you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments".

And as John says in the SAME book "Those who CLAIM to KNOW Christ and yet do NOT walk AS HE WALKED are liars" 1 John 2.

This poses no problem for those 3 and 5 point Calvinists that believe in OSAS and hold to perseverance because they will simply say "well these guys were never saved - never knew Christ, were liars, were never ABIDING IN Christ to start with".

So when I show the failure of OSAS I usually go to texts that DO claim that the person IS forgiven and then has forgiveness revoked, or IS in the vine of Christ and THEN is cast out or IS among those who DO NOT deny Christ and are NOT denied by Christ - but then take some action causing them to BE denied by Christ.

In other words - you really have to deal specifically with those actual problem texts (like those in the OP) to respond to the point.

And then having done so - you can not "blame that scripture on me" just because I am the only one willing to quote it.

In Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. That is not exegeting the texts of the OP it is merely showing "why we shouldn't read them".

#2. It clings to one's tradition "as if the principles and definitions used in that tradition were correct no matter what the Bible says" over the "unpleasant text". Why not try to understand first how it is that your traditions for OSAS are in error as they conflict with the OP texts?

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:Bob
    Why not give up your OSAS tradition BEFORE giving up these texts of scripture?
    I doubt that. My view fully embraces both sets. The problem in your view is that it only allows you to read one set -- taking them to such an extreme that you find the other set to be fully contradicting to your views.

It would be like the Jews in Mark 7 who make up the tradition of CORBAN arguing "Obey your elders" as "The TEXT" to extend to far extremes and then glossing over the commandment "Honor your parents" saying "This does not conflict with our tradition and definitions". Yet Christ shows that they clearly were in conflict with scripture.

You are not exegeting these "inconvenient texts" to SHOW that "IN Christ" and "IN the vine of Christ" is the definition of "LOST" in scripture. You simply hold it to be "a challenge" for your view as you make up ways to try and preserve an a priori bias to OSAS.

Why no TRY the harmony of texts I have recommended here before jumping right into "THAT NT text should not be paid attention too".

Your OWN "solution" SHOWS that you do NOT see harmony between your view of OSAS and faith and salvation - and the texts I have mentioned.

You can not now pretend that they fit your model after admitting that they are soooo devastating to your views that you need them "to not apply to Christians" anymore!

You can't have it both ways!

In Christ,

Bob

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Are you sure that is what the text states? I didn't see that in my bible. That sounds more like an excuse for lukewarm christianity. I think it says "Sin" as in "Sin is the transgression of the law."

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no doubt that sin is transgression of God's law "by definition" but the tense for "DOES NOT sin" is in the "continual" sense. No escaping that.

And Christ uses the same tense "be angry and yet SIN not". Trying to insert a dividing wedge between the words of Christ and 1John 3 does not serve your point as you may suppose.

Christ said "IF you Love Me KEEP my Commandments" that also is in the "continual sense" it does not mean "At least one time in your life keep the commandments of Christ" any more than the 1John 3 text means "if you sin ever - even once you are not a Christian".

In Christ,

Bob

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I suppose you can believe it means whatever fits your doctrine. I don't have to escape something that isn't in the text.

If loving Christ in the 'continual sense' is keeping His commandments in the 'continual sense' then it only makes 'sense' that if you sin one time, you didn't 'continually' keep His commandments. If you sin, you don't love Jesus, and pretending like sinning every once in a while doesn't count won't excuse you at the judgment seat.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    Rom 11
    Quote:
    18do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you.
    19You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.”
    20Quite right,
    they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
    21for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either

Quote:
    2 Tim 2
    Quote:
    10For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.
    11It is a trustworthy statement:
    For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him;
    12 If we endure, we will also reign with Him;
    If we deny Him, He also will deny us;
    13If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

How can you salvage OSAS "in spite of these texts"?

Will you really settle for "ignoring them" and avoiding all exegesis of them as the responses have done so far?? Is it really "Biblically honest" to treat the NT text as "not applicable to me"??

How sad that man's desire to cling to the traditions of OSAS would drive one to such an extreme position!

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Acts 27:31
    31 Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.

How can you cling to OSASS (Out of the Ship And STILL Saved) in the face of this verse?? Can you really 'ignore' it?

10. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Newman,

1 John 3:6a is very clear telling us, "Whoseover abideth in him sinnETH NOT:" Apostle John says, if any person who is abiding in Christ do not continue sinning.

Notice 1 John 3:6b says, "whosoever sinNETH hath not seen him, neither known him. It speaks of if any person is continue sinning, have no relationship with Jesus Christ.

Clear, it commands us, when you are abiding in Christ, do NOT continue sinning at same time.

Understand?

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

By the way, you mentioned of shipweck as what Paul told them. That have do nothing with salvation. He warns them, do not stay on the ship, or will be drown, because the ship is sinking down.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Notice that the contrast is not between “practicing righteousness” as a child of God and “practicing evil” as an even MORE established “child of God”. Rather the contrast is between the children of God and the children of the devil. (John’s words not mine).

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What a great way to ingore the OP texts! What a wonderful way NOT to exegete Rom 11 or 2Tim 2!!

I love it!!

You gloss over the points you can not withstand and simply flee to irrelevance.

IN Christ,

Bob

13. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I did not abandon anything for anything else. I have never been completely sure on eternal security, since I have seen scriptures taken both ways, and I have said every time that I am not sure of the preterist theory. Yet still, you go into accuse and twist-my-words mode, just like in the sabbath debate. (e.g. "'In Christ' means lost".) The only reason you read it that way is because you are pasting together several prooftexts (as you always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do), and some speak of being "In Christ", but the ones I dealt with did not. Jesus in John 8 did not say those Jews were "In Him".
    Hence, in the same vein, Romans 11 is talking anout Jew and Gentile as groups, and then offering a warning to individuals. If you don't recognize this, you make the same mistake as the Calvinists in chapter 9. Those people Paul describes as "broken off are those who rejected Him. They never were "in Him" in the sense you are suggesting, because once again, these were the same people He was addressing in John, and who ultimately crucified him. "Branches" in that case was obviously being used conditionally. Those he spoke to were assumed to be Christians, but if they didn't abide, they would prove that they too, like the Jews in John, were not of Him, and then they would be cast out from among the bretheren. (either in disfellowship, or at the judgment).

Once again, I am not simply trying to "save" OSAS. For most of my Christian walk, I basically leaned the other way. But as I came to learn more of other scriptures and scriptural principles; I saw where conditional salvation has its problems. Like the concept of having one's sins "covered". I have never heard of anyone being "uncovered" by the blood. In the OT, noone was ever "uncovered". Atonement was never "undone". Now since the sacrifices were not perfect, they had to be done over and over, not because the last one was "undone", but because it was only meant to be temporal. Hebrews 10, speaking of "trampling the blood" and coming under judgment is laced with references to the "judgment" coming shortly in their time, (v.25, 37) and this would help support the preterist idea that salvation was not secured yet. It is not a matter of abandoning one for the other, but both could be true. Some passages can have preterist explantations, while others you have misunderstood, such as the vines.

Once again, I am not sure how all of this fits together, but it all seems betterthat your system where if I just keep trying hard enough I should make it. Nobody here is advocating Christians to do whatever they want and try to get in by "faith alone" without any works. But we must get straight the true purpose of works, and how they fit in with faith and salvation. If we don't, then we have a false gospel, and you who teach it are the ones in danger of being "cast out" as false believers with the faith of demons. That's what ultimately happens when one trusts in himself, and that is what is being advocated, even if you do try to credit God for the "instructions" or even the Holy Spirit. Remember, the Pharisee said "Thank You, Lord that I am not like that Publican over there".

14. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Perhaps faith w/o works is what "getting into heaven by the skin of your teeth" is about is relevation, and then there are some who had the time to build some crowns to throw at Jesus's feet.
    but rejecting the fact the blood from Christ's fountain in our temples infinately clenses any sin, instantly turns christianity into Islam, where there is no garuantee for salvation at all.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Perhaps we need to slay some Philistines to be saved?

1 Samuel 19:5: For he did put his life in his hand, and slew the Philistine, and the LORD wrought a great salvation for all Israel: thou sawest it, and didst rejoice: wherefore then wilt thou sin against innocent blood, to slay David without a cause?

16. UnchartedSpirit

and what about the whole Mosese and breaking the rock twice? wasn't that a metaphor of the Crucifixion being the sole means of redemption? or just another lesson on disobedience?

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those are some entertaining notions to be sure.

Now let's read what God has to say on the subject about "Faith without works" to see if "MORE HEAVEN" is the result.

The popular man made tradition that “faith in Christ” certainly means “heaven” for the saints and “faith without works” means “even MORE heaven” must be tested by the Word of God.

James is not “playing word games here” the way many Christians do when they see this clear teaching of scripture set at naught their man made traditions. James is serious when he points to the Ten Commandments of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ and declares that we will be judge by that standard.

So it is the wise in heart and those who “love the truth” that will listen to James’ warning So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty.[/b]

Here again – James plays no word games. He declares that the actions of the people of God will show their heart as really being “for God” or against Him and so judgment will be merciless to those who do not “Love their Neighbor” who “show no mercy” who disregard the spoken and written WORD of our Great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

To that question man made tradition will shout a loud “YES it WILL save him for having faith in Christ is heaven for us and having faith without works is MORE HEAVEN!”. Could there BE any louder siren call for “Peace and Safety” when suddenly destruction comes upon mankind?

Let us see how the “faith of demons” works according to James.

James calls the faith of demons – claimed by many today - “dead faith” – Paul does not claim “By grace your are saved by dead faith without works”. And so Paul and James are in fact in perfect agreement.

Then James continues in this same line of instruction calling us to hear the example given of living faith. The faith of Abraham referenced in Romans 4 is again used here in James 2 to contrast living faith with “dead faith” – the faith of demons that “believe” the facts – but do nothing except remain in rebellion against God.

#77 BobRyan, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Though you have inserted this disolaimer between your non-stop posts embracing Preterism and defending its doctrines - your disclaimer does little to erase your previous posts.

How much better history for you if you had in fact taken an objective approach to the topic and had been willing to weigh strengths AND weaknesses. THough I utterly reject preterism at least I showed where it had some strengths in shielding the man made traditions of OSAS from the Bible. I also showed that some of the points claimed in that view actually SUSTAIN the confession that the Bible texts it seeks to ignore are in fact devastating to OSAS were they allowed to APPLY!

In Christ,

Bob

19. UnchartedSpirit

I never said the one LESS works would get more out of heaven, save for that of children who cannot do any work in the Lord, yet are the greatist in Christ's family kingdom.

But you say, for example a Homosexual (just refrencing because I just noticed the flags are up again in SF) asks for Jesus to save him, but is killed before he gets a chance to repent of his behavior, is condemned in Gods eyes anyway? Nay, friend, this person IS one of those who by the skin of their teeth are still going to heaven. The same goes to a preacher who could be described as David has been, yet suffers with masturbation, or is obsessed with violence and does not confess it. Are you saying he cannot be recieved either? All of these acts of people like this are simply the Devil's warfare outside the Christian temple. Notice scripture says somewhere that Satan does not even need to battle this way with people outside of Christ. The fact this preacher is guilty over it is reason enough that he is saved (besides which, not every problem should be told to the whole Church due to misunderstandings, mistrust, conciet, etc.). Yet, should you be trying to find out the guilt of someone, or forcing it through their chest with a stake? It just seems to me that trying to preach that there is no LIfelong Salvation in CHrist living in you (vice versa isn't written as necessary, having tolerance of Christ in you at the very least is at most what is implied in the gospels) is just a way to be judgemental and condesending and outright bossy inside the Christian body.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Huh?? I don't remember being included in such a discussion.

I have never said that.

My argument is that the gay person that accepts Christ is saved - and then when he decides to give up the Christian life and go back to living in rebellion he is lost again.

"If we deny Him HE WILL ALSO deny us" 2Tim 2

"You stand only by your faith -- FEAR if He did not spare them neither will he Spare you" Rom 11.

John 15 branches removed from the vine of Christ - withered and then good for nothing but burning in the fire.

That is not "more heaven" rather it is the description of hell. Not even of "purgatory then more heaven" -- just hell.

In Christ,

Bob