1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to support Missions

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some baptists support missions by individal missionary -
    and this is done by at least two different ways
    1)
    A. The church decides to support a missionary with a certian amount thu its church budget
    B. The church decides to "approve" missionaries and then individual members will choose.
    which missionaries they want to support via faith promise - often above their regualr offerings.

2) Groups such as the SBC have the coperative program - where the mission boards (IMB & NAMB) provide
    for the missionaries finacial needs without the need to go on deputation

So - is one plan better than the other? do they both have strenghs and weakness?

Open for discussion

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the church-sent church-supported missionary as an unquestionably scriptural method of doing mission work. With mission boards and missionary societies there is an added element that is not clearly patterned in the New Testament.

As far as mere expedience goes, the larger a missionary body gets the more economical the idea is. For example, back in the 1990s, I did a cost analysis of a body that was supporting 9 or 10 missionaries (I forget which). They employed a full-time secretary of missions, and the secretary of missions had a clerical employee. The short story of that was in their case it was taking about 20% of the mission funds to get the salaries to the missionaries. Apparently they thought it was worth it; imo, that was a high percentage. Now if you had the same two employees and 20 missionaries, you might cut the rate down to about 10%. That is what I mean by it being more expedient the larger the group is. Of course, when it gets larger, at some point you have to add more employees to keep up. Put another way, as far as economics, if you have a custodian who could clean 10,000 sq. ft. per day, it wouldn't be economical to just have him or her cleaning 2,000 sq. ft. per day. Hope that makes sense.

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on what you can afford.