1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to Witness to Hindus

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Pastor KevinR, Jul 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Dear Posters, I just took a church over as pastor here back in September of 2000. The neighborhood is Indian by race for the most part, and nationally Guyanese and Trinidadians.I am having some difficulty reaching the people although I am starting to see my rapport with them improve. The previous Pastor was a hardline Fundamentalist who confronted the Hindus instead of being kind to them, as I've tried to let my neighboors know that as a White Christian, we are not all confrontational. Needless to say, I am trying to build bridges and let them know that Christ loves them and died for them (too). Another difficulty I'm having is that they see Jesus as just another manisfestation of God as they believe that there are many manisfestations.I've gone to our local library to research their religion, research the internet, etc. If anyone knows of good Christian books or internet sites, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

This man lived in Napal for, I think, 25 years and ministered to Hindus. I'm sure that if you gave him a call or emailed him, he would be glad to help.
    [email protected] (email)

[ April 24, 2006, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: SaggyWoman ]

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you're on the right track. From talking to men who have worked in India, I advise that you make sure that you emphasis Our Lord's exclusiveness <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father but by me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I gather that some Hindus will very readily add a crucifix to their household shrines.

Hope this helps,
    Robertsson

4. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Squire Robertson posted, the best thing you can do is to first show them that you are a friend & not someone who's "Out to Up Front" change their beliefs and value system(s). The church of which I've been a member for over 2 years now ( wwwlighthousenashville.org ) sponsors a missionary in the city of Mumbai (Formerly known as Bombay) on India's western coast line. It is probably one of the most densely populated urban areas of India. What he found that has been successful for his ministry in India (He's been at it for some 20+ years now.) has been to attempt to adopt some of Mumbai's "Street Children." By legally adopting them (& then sending the child to an established Christian family in the region.), that, first of all, shows the native Indian population that he's genuinely concerned for these children's well-being. After that, he then offers anyone some medical help (He's a licensed Indian MD), the native Indians open themselves to his Christian ministry. Yes, it seems as though that this is a long & tedious (& expensive!) method of reaching the native Indian population, but in the long run, it's been the only really permanent way to minister God's Word to them.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the original poster has not been here at the BaptistBoard in 13 years, this thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.