1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How were we "in him" (Christ) before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4)?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by George Antonios, Oct 3, 2019.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave it to a Calvinist to get ALL of this from on phrase, "chosen in him before the foundation of the world," from one verse in the Bible.

Chosen in him = Found in him; nowhere is this in scripture

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do not seem to rely on multiple witnesses. They do seem to find unsupported scriptures all the time and then kick back and imagine.
    MB

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when are we baptized by the Holy Spirit into Christ? Is it from before the foundation of the world?
    No. It's when we first believed and were justified (saved). Eph. 1:13; I Cor 12:13.

Whom does God save? Those that believe, after they had heard the gospel.

1 Cor 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

#63 InTheLight, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never heard the gospel, even when it was offered. I rejected it. I loved sin... the entire world is consumed in sin and Lucifer rules the world so why would I want to become a Christian for Gods sake... why not be content as a Catholic, then I could go in a box say a few prayers and be absolved of my sins & then sin again again. So yes I believed in God and in Jesus, but to want to be a changed man, a born again well that’s absurd. Yea, I’m gonna go to God and offer him me and my comfortable self as a gift... take me lord, here I am... clean me up. :Laugh

• Like Like x 1
  5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.

But what does your personal account have to do with being "chosen in Him from before the foundation of the world"?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know ... but the question is there and still begs, How did I get the transformation? Could you help me out with addressing that?

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You were called by the Holy Spirit, convicted of your unbelief, and led and enabled to repentance and belief. You were justified and saved when you first believed. This is when you were placed "in Christ". It was all God's doing.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh and how did my Cerebral Palsy sister with a burnt out brain stem manage to get to heaven? Allso my dead infant? We’re they marked before the foundation, did they ever hear the gospel? Are they in heaven? Is my catholic family who have passed on in heaven? Lots of questions and sometimes religion provides answers but often in just leads to confusion.

am I going to judge anyone’s salvation... no, It’s up to God. I believe He is both gracious & merciful. And that’s what leads me to Him cause He is far better than I am.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had to be... I didn’t do it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time is irrelevant.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To you, maybe.

To Paul? Nope.

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.
    Romans 16:7

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you are confused about humans living on a timeline and a Supreme God who created time and lives outside of time, yet can enter in the timeline whenever he wishes.
    You are merely straining gnats in an attempt to circumvent the Supreme God.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am confused? The apostle Paul said these other Christians were "in Christ" before he was. I think you mean to say that Paul is confused about it. He wrote Ephesians 1:4 and he wrote Romans 16:7. I'm just quoting him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. You are confused. I can't help you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you explain what Paul meant when he said these others were "in Christ" before he was if we are placed in Christ before the foundation of the world?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have done so. You are straining gnats to avoid the Supremacy of God.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just to be clear.......at the moment your not transformed or just pretending to be? where exactly are you at?

I think if I got mind wiped and forced to believe having recieved the full regeneration and enlightened understanding all in one shot. I'd be hopping up and down this is the truth.

You know the MATRIX. They plug a cassette tape into a machine attached to the main character Neo, All the sudden he knows Kung Fu.

Personally that would be all the evidence I need and I would lead with that testimony of events. Even the bible would not be the highest authority it would the the event itself.

Remember I don't have the capacity to understand scriptures nor even do a single GOOD act.

For example the claim is I am incapable to wanting to know the truth, wanting to understand God, I can't even love my own mother.

Where is the freak out story? with someone having nothing to do with christianity go from zero to Calvinism? I'm starting to think most calvinist are made up of christian converts and infiltration of denominations, in other words built to convert Christians.

Tell us about that day. You hate everyone, hate the world, never felt guilty for anything wrong ever committed, your totally depraved. You never looked for God, you never cared for Jesus. and all the sudden POP.

Is the bible going to change mind of events that supposedly happened?

And then if you actually believed that rather then "bet" on it or want to believe it.

Why waste time whining about it with someone God has not enlightened yet?

WE need to start being HONEST with OURSELVES. God shows up pops a switch to make me christian. Your going to hear that from me period don't matter what books say what. 2ndly If God has to do it and no one else did it for me nor i did not do it myself you should be praying to God to fix the rest of humanity, if your not selfish.

Thats what the perfect Calvinist would sound like

18. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your idea of God can't win a game a checkers unless he moves your pieces for you.

Who is dumb enough to blame the car for not running when you designed it without an engine?

19. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't make up what God says in scripture. God is Supreme and I, for one, am grateful.

• Like Like x 2
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to your theology you believe God elected people from before the foundation of the world. You can't explain how Paul can say he was put "in Christ" after other people were because your predestination theology can't explain it. Rather than explain it, you claim I am questioning the supremacy of God. That's a cop out.

• Agree Agree x 1