1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you address this?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Sep 20, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is that I'm in the sound booth. Can't change my seat. :) But a good 1/2 of the church sits behind her so I'm sure she's a distraction to others too. We live in an area that is predominantly Catholic and we have mostly ex-Catholics in our church so something like this is VERY different than what we're used to.

Why she left and came back? I really don't know. I'm going to speak to the senior pastor this week and find out what he thinks.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it feasible to make a special place for her in the back of the church and ask her to sit there? Out of sight out of mind, except for the preacher will still see it.........

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I don't see why someone who loves her just tells her, often if needed, that her actions are very distracting to other's worship.

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I know this is a serious issue and I shouldn't be chuckling, but I am. I have no answer as to what should be done, other than speaking with the senior pastor.

But this thread brought to mind a visitor to our church when I was a kid. He was dressed as an Elivs impersonator. Man was he chubby. Seriously, y'all, he had on the white sequened jump suit and everything. But what really got us was when he pulled out his gold plated microphone to sing the hymns. And this guy couldn't even sing on key.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh my goodness!!!!! Did he come more than once? Honestly, we have a large "special needs" congregation and one of the men has a microphone that he sings into but he certainly doesn't dress like Elvis! I would have had a VERY time concentrating on worship that day!

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it was the real Elvis! He was at a burger king in Michigan a few years ago.... :laugh:

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ann, since she is claiming the Holy Spirit is causing this, maybe you or someone can point out to her that part of the fruit of the Holy Spirit is "self-control" (Gal 5:23).

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Member

Although not charasmatic myself, I would leave her alone.

I find people flapping their arms around not to be distracting.

Now, if she started barking like a dog and going into convulsions, I would call an ambulance.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point.

10. Carico

Carico New Member

Sit somewhere else and concentrate on the sermon. :thumbs:

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

She CAN'T sit somewhere else. Read the thread. :rolleyes:

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is not during the sermon time (that I know of - I sit in front of her during the message time unless there are sermon notes) but during worship. I run the projector and sit in the sound booth and there's just no way to run it from anywhere else. :smilewinkgrin: So it's not like I'm being just annoying about this. We're a bit more of a middle ground church (?) in that we do have people raising hands and saying "amen" as well as kneeling during worship and stuff - but we do not go so far as to have dancing in the aisles or anyone being "slain by the Spirit". And again, this woman would seriously knock you out if you came near her - and I don't read anywhere in Scripture where someone being influenced by the Holy Spirit looses all control of their body and goes into wild spasms. So I'm not so sure I'd call this "from the Spirit".

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ann,
    We had an odd event at church Sunday, a first as far as I know. I was not there because of work. Anyway, during the special music, a couple who joined a little while ago got up and started dancing in the aisles. Well, everyone was so stunned that nothing was done.

After thinking about it, I would have been totally against calling them down from the podium. In fact, that would have caused problems. The only thing I can think of is for someone to have quietly gone over to them and asked them to sit down. It must have been quite disruptive, and to tell the truth, I do not know what their purpose was.

Sometimes I think we need to be careful when we judge others actions in church, as if the only reason we have for stopping it is "its not proper" or "thats the way its always been" or "I have never seen that before" is not a foundation for stopping it.

When I first started dating my wife, I had attended a conservative Presbyterian church all my life. When I went to the first service with her, after hearing the Amens, people raising their hand, and watching the pastor prance back and forth across the stage shouting like a maniac, I thought Baptists were totally nuts.

I am sure most in our congregation thought they were nuts. I am not sure about that. It would take further inquiry.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh my word - we had almost the same thing happen at our church in the spring!! It was two black ladies and the song happened to be a very spirited song and they really seemed to enjoy it as I'm sure they are used to doing in their home church. :) Too funny!

The further inquiry is what's important I think - and possibly asking her to sit further back in the church (athough she can't step away from those around her if she's in a back row and then we might get in trouble with black eyes and bloody noses. ;)

15. Carico

Carico New Member

:laugh: Boy, she does sound out of control. Then if she's interrupting the service that badly, you need to talk to her first as MT. 18:15-17 says. If she still doesn't comply, you need to bring some witnesses and if she still doesn't comply, bring it to the attention of the church. That would be my advice. :)

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

I think the point is.. she has the attention of the whole church already :laugh:

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Atleast half! :D

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'd build a pyre with wood all around and a 7 foot stake in the middle. I'd read passages from the bible condeming witchcraft, Command the devil to come out of her, and if that didn't work to alleviate it I'd light everything with the offender on it. I figure if that's good enough for the middleages and massachusetts its good enough for me.

Honesly, I think some mental health counseling would be appropiate.

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

The reason I advocated just letting her worship as she does is because I view the church as being a family, because of course it is...we are part of the family of God. We of course are brothers and sisters.

In just about every genetic family there is someone who is a little bit different. Sort of an oddball. They march to the beat of a different drummer.

Old Uncle Bert. Aunt Bernice. Cousin Wilbur.

They are just unique. And nobody tries to change them. They are accepted just as they are, in spite of their idiosyncrisies.

They are LOVED and ACCEPTED....just as they are.

Why not treat this one the same way?

#39 Alive in Christ, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Even in a family you have to deal with selfish distractions. This lady is a distraction in worship and not an asset. Worship is about her and not about God. She is taking the focus off of God and placing it on herself.