1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Would You define the "Baptism In the Holy Ghost" From Scripture?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't think the scripture shows that. Peter preached on other occasions, healed the sick, but most of them did not mention that he was filled with the Spirit. So this reference to Peter's being filled suggests that something was different here, and merited special mention.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does baptize mean to be immersed into or to be poured into as in filled up with?

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does to have been given the earnest of not imply just a little of or partly even to the extent of less than half?

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism in the Holy Spirit is....

....Different and personal for everyone.

This is seen in the Word when we read that there are many gifts, and many fruits of the Spirit, which leaves a wide range of combinations for personal experiences when it comes to this particular Baptism.

It is possible to receive more than one experience in this baptism, and again, this is dependent upon the individual and their faith in Him!

Of course, this is my own opinion based upon personal experience. I have experienced numerous baptisms as my faith, needs and desire to serve Him, have grown and changed over the years. Some gifts have been removed, while others have been manifested and enlightened with His power and presence. Selah!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Tom using that understanding what is the purpose of the saying?

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My take is that this is one of the occasions that Peter was filled with the Spirit.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So what do we do with the command ot be filled?

8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Yes, there seemed to be indications of times when the Apostles had "special" outpourings from the HS, usually to proclaim Jesus with boldness, and at times signs and wonders...

Would there still be that extra "juice" from HS to do boldness available to us today? or just to the Apostles?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Very disrespectfull to the Spirit. :(

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly my view.

I know this is an old thread. I was reading some past threads, this one caught my attention, so decided to reply.

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only one baptism of (more correctly 'in') the Holy Spirit, but some folk quench the Spirit more or less than others, some grieve the Spirit, some walk in the Spirit more or less than others. We are actually commanded to be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18) which suggests that it is possible for Christians to be less than filled at times.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with all of that.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Rebel!, If you view the various verses that address baptism "by the Holy Spirit" or "with the Holy Spirit" or "in the Holy Spirit" one must conclude scripture is referring to a spiritual baptism, not a man done one in water. If you are not "in Christ" you are unsaved, but if you are "in Christ" you are saved and you have been baptized into Christ's death.
    Acts 1:5
    for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
    Acts 11:16
    And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’
    Romans 6:3
    Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
    1 Corinthians 12:13
    For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
    Galatians 3:27
    For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

To be put into Christ, to be set apart in Christ is to be sanctified by the Holy Spirit, and this occurred when we were spiritually baptized into Christ.

And after we were made firm in Christ, we were sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit, indwelt with the Holy Spirit. Therefore we are in Christ and Christ is in us. Behold the Baptism of Christ. :)

John 1:33
    I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Serious conflation of two very different events.

15. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, a spiritual baptism into Jesus when we received him as savior and Lord -- that's what I concluded a long time ago. Thanks for your post!

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The Holy Spirit did not do the baptizing. Jesus baptized us (the church) into the Holy Spirit, not the other way around. :)

The Holy Spirit is never the (active voice) baptizer anywhere in the bible.

17. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I don't have a problem with that. But I read "For by one spirit we were all baptized into one body" differently from you, apparently.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That could very well be the case. I understand 1 Corinthians 12:13 to be saying "For in one Spirit (in the spirit of unity Paul was talking about in the preceding context) we were all baptized (going down into the water and coming up out of the water) into one body (the local body of believers belonging to Christ), whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit."

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Rebel1, Romans 6:3 says we were baptized into Christ, not the other way around. The voice of "baptized" is passive indicating we were being acted upon (immersed in Christ).

The truth to grab on to is that God put you in Christ, you did not put ;yourself into Christ. God the Holy Spirit, acting as the agent of God the Son, baptized you into the spiritual body of Christ. Think about being baptized into Christ's death. What do you believe that means? Christ died as the Lamb of God, the substitutionary sacrifice. So when we are baptized into that death, immersed in Christ spiritually, our sin burden (what God held against us because of our past, present and future sins) was removed, the circumcision of Christ, the washing of regeneration, the Lamb of God taking away the sin of the world, one sinner at a time.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin mention the passage:
    Thessalonians 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.

Quench - Strongs 4570 sbennumi extinguish, suppress.
    ibid Friberg, UBS, etc...

We are all receivers and filled with the fire of Pentecost but we are able through the practice of our unconfessed and unrepentant sin to suppress the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives because it grieves Him.

The Holy Spirit is just that - HOLY and eternally pure and grieved with bad behavior of His children of whom He gave birth.

How do I/we grieve Him?

Ephesians 4
    22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
    23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
    24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
    25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
    26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
    27 Neither give place to the devil.
    28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
    29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
    30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

HankD