1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How would you respond?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by annsni, Jan 6, 2015.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Last week my wife and son and I went to a family funeral. My son brought his one and a half year old daughter with him. My granddaughter does not cry or make any noise at all wherever she's at but like all children her age she get's restless and has to be intertained some way or other. My wife and I gave her toys to look at until that got boring and then it would have to be some other item. The point I'm trying to get across is whether they make noise or not at that age an adult is busy at this and it does take there mind off the service. Christians shouldn't rebel because their children from four years old and under are required to go to a nursery. The priority in any church first and for most is to preach and hear the gospel. preach Tony I came out of your kind of churches, it was hard to adjust at first but now I would not go back to that kind of system.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

My mom(rest her soul) once took my niece(her granddaughter) to church with her and dad. During prayer, as she was kneeling, she could hear her running around. As soon as prayer was over, mom took her outside the sanctuary(where the water fountain was) and made sure her dress wasn't dusty, if you catch my drift. From what I remember mom telling me, my niece settled down rather easily after that.

I see both sides, but lean towards Brother Tony's view. If they are in the 3+ y/o age, a dusting of their clothes should settle them down. I am against beatings, but a spanking does more than words could ever do, imo...

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I believe in spanking but spanking should not be the first course of action. Did this little girl understand what she was to be doing? Was she told "No, you need to sit down and be quiet." and taught how to do this? Was she ever taught to sit still any other time in her life?

I do think that we need to teach our kids from an early age that there are times we are to just sit. If I take them to the doctor's office or bring them to church or have dinner at a restaurant, they need to be taught how to sit and sometimes that takes a few times to get them to understand what you mean - and that you mean it. I do not spank for first time offenses - especially if the children do not understand the rules and boundaries in this area. That would be like a cop giving you a ticket for a law you had no awareness about because it was not told to you!

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Same here. I would do this.

I would also develop a relationship with the parents which hopefully would allow you to do some parenting teaching on discipline.