1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How young is TOO young for a person to be a deacon or pastor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AVL1984, May 5, 2021.

1. Hannahande

Hannahande Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. A friend of mine whose age is 28 years old is a pastor and I heard no questions about it. As long as the intention is for the good then who are we to stop them (just sayin).

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, your example and my example - their physical age was the same - but the man in your example - how long had he been a Christian? as well as many other criteria?

• Like Like x 1
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pastor is an Elder. The qualifications don’t list an age, but do say “not a novice” and “have a good reputation”. Both suggests mature Christians.

In Spurgeon’s case, he began preaching at 17, and demonstrated himself to be biblically sound and amazingly gifted in communicating God’s Word.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible mentions qualifications for the office of bishop/elder (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9) and deacons (1 Timothy 3:8-13). There is no age-specific qualification – that is, no age (in terms of years) is given to which a person must obtain to be qualified. Some of the qualifications, however, seem to indicate a man who has been around long enough to have some life experience. For example, Paul mentions both wife & children; while that may not mean they explicitly must be married with children, surely it seems Paul expected that would be the norm. And just in general, someone who has been around long enough that the totality of qualities could be seen and judged.

Paul told Timothy “Let no man despise thy youth” (1 Timothy 4:12). According to 1 Timothy 3:6 the bishop (pastor, elder) is to be “not a novice,” which likely refers to either lack of experience, or being a recent convert – as opposed to referring specifically to a person’s age. He also advises in 1 Timothy 5:22, “Lay hands suddenly on no man…” The person appointed to office should be understood to be qualified to hold the office.

The qualifications for office should be taken seriously. The other extreme should be avoided as well. That is a sort of “don’t go in the water until you learn how to swim” mentality. Fact is, pastoring and deaconing is a learning experience, and no one will know what they need to when they begin. There is a certain amount of “on the job training.” Much of this could be alleviated, though, if we followed the biblical example of plurality of elders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not think there is an age restriction, but more that one should be not recently saved, a novice, nor not mature and learned in scriptures and life experiences in general!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did call him at an early age, but think he was a special case!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for supporting your view from scripture. I think the bible is clear, qualifications are based on known performance not arbitrary standards like age, marital status, or the like. Thus a young pastor (or perhaps any unknown pastor) should be brought on as an assistant or associate pastor for several months such that his biblical qualifications could be assessed. See Titus 1

My church brought on a young Pastor after serving as an associate, and God blessed his ministry. We grew from an assembly that never exceeded 212 on a weekend, to one that exceeded 2000 on a weekend. And many members grew in maturity under his wise counsel. He was not without flaws, but God uses broken reeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    according to Acts 26:10, Paul could well have been married:

"And this I also did in Jerusalem: and I both shut up many of the saints in prisons, having received authority from the chief priests, and when they were put to death I gave my vote against them"

To be able to give his "vote against them", Paul would had to have been a member of the Sanhedrin, who only allowed married men on it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That requirement is a long held myth.

10. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my personal situation, I've been a member of both "Baby" (as to its founding date) and (As they are wont to say) An "Old-timers'" church. Both had their individual problems, but, OTOH both seemed to overcome each one's "Challenges." IMHO, it boils down to BOTH the church body as a whole, AND the Elders'/Newly-called pastoral role. To me it DOES make a difference as to each individual local church's situation & just because one Church / Pastor's/Elder's situation worked out fine doesn't mean that Each & Every situation will ALWAYS solve whatever a different church's / pastor's/elder's might be. Even though both situations are presumably Christian(s'), face it, ALL of us are still humans. The Apostle Paul wrestled with this condition in both his own personal and church situations. It doesn't seem that a "One size fits ALL sizes" course(s) of action will, "PRESTO," resolve EVERY single one. EX: My three siblings were all born in the 1930s or very early 1940s while I was born about 9 months after WW2. What worked for each one of them didn't guarantee that how I resolved whatever was buggin' me at the time. One church took almost 2 years to settle on which man eventually became her new pastor, but even then not everything was resolved "Yesterday, last week at the latest!!" I marvel at how difficult missionaries must contend to pastor a local body somewhere in the jungles. Praise God that some do succeed! The same must apply on each church's circumstances. Maturity usually is better than a "new-born's" situation, but IMHO that's no iron-clad guarantee that this will ALWAYS work out in each and every case. It does take a very discerning position for both parties' future. Thank God we who are saved do have a Comforter in Jesus. "Come unto Me, all of you who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest...." said the One through whom we're born anew (Matthew 11:28ff.)!!

11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without a doubt. A unique man for the times.

peace to you

12. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In addition, to be appointed to the greater or lesser sanhedrin, one had to have achieved distinction in Torah knowledge and possess some knowledge of intellectual disciplines such as medicine, mathematics, calendar, astronomy, astrology and the teachings of idolatry, so that he would know how to judge cases concerning those fields. He could not be too old or childless when appointed, since someone with a family is more likely to be sympathetic and merciful. Members of the sanhedrin could be kohanim, Levites, or Israelites of fine pedigree."

https://www.chabad.org/library/arti...ish/The-Sanhedrin-The-Jewish-Court-System.htm

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many think that Paul was a widower himself at the time of his conversion to Christ!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Following the biblical example of choosing church leaders and training church leaders and evaluating church leaders is the best course of action, and if at first we do not succeed, try try again...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it a requirement to be married to be a member of the Sanhedrin court?

16. Bassoonery

Bassoonery Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm very encouraged to read the responses here. There might be many reasons why a young pastor is not qualified or suitable for the job, but the Bible is clear enough that his age should not be one of those reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not so sure "may not mean."
    1 Timothy 3:2, ". . . A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, . . ."
    1 Timothy 3:4, ". . . One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; . . ."
    Titus 1:5-7, ". . . ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee: If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; . . ."

18. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me put it another way. Even if someone thinks Paul did not mean that marriage and children are an absolute requirement for service as a bishop/elder, surely we would have to admit the fact that he mentions it carefully indicates he expected it to be the norm or usual condition of the bishop/elder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. poor-in-spirit

poor-in-spirit Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even nature itself teaches us that a position of responsibility and wisdom cannot be held by the young in any setting containing persons of more experience and wisdom. The younger are not to oversee or instruct elders according to I Tim 5 and Titus 2: 3-6.

Seems most everyone considers this fact when choosing a doctor or a lawyer (when experience matters) but ignores this common sense completely when it comes to the leading of a flock. This practice came out of Rome and infected the offshoot denominational harlots of Rome. We wouldn't entrust a 23 year old with brain surgery but we will entrust one with the Truth of God and our real life? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Timothy was not a local pastor in Scripture, he did the work of an evangelist (church planter). He ordained elders in the churches God used him to plant but was not identified as one. If you make your determination based on men's writings apart from Scripture which place Timothy as the bishop in Ephesus than you must also consider that early church writings of men place him at an age between 36 and 48 (depending of which men's writings you are considering) when I Timothy was penned. This same Epistle teaches us a very different perspective of age and positions of authority.

Even if one equates an evangelist to a local pastor, the very fact that Paul felt compelled to defend Timothy's appointment despite being at least 36, indicates that it was not to become common practice but rather an exception. Can there be exceptions now, maybe but hardly a youngster in his 20s.

Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hannahande

Hannahande Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uhmm he's christian from the start but, started being devoted when he met his partner around five years ago..and according to him, its life changing as his partner became the bridge for who he is now.